Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

D.I.Y Electric hose reel conversion for less than £50

adamangler

Wakefield Window Warrior
If any of you lads frequent a different forum you may have come across this.....

If not well then seems you can convert your hose to an electric one for not very much at all, very similar to the power up one and save yourself £200.

Just ordered my bits for about £35 quid

All you need is similar items to the below, a bit of d.i.y handiness, some simple wiring and away you go

24V Electric Motor Brushed 250W 2750RPM 2-Wired Chain For E Scooter Drive 14A UK | eBay

Electric E Scooter Bike Chain Wheel Rim Drive Sprocket 6mm 25H 80T 80 Tooth Cog | eBay

6mm 25H Gold, Steel DRIVE CHAIN Any Links Split Mini Moto Midi Quad Racing Bike | eBay

I'm not sure how seriously you can take this guy as he then puts up a couple of rather 'silly' videos.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjZcwtzGTjs[/media]

His attempt at cleaning quickly just doesn't look professional and he caps that off by cleaning just the window of the back door but not the whole door.

Looking from about 7.15 on wards you see a rather botched display of the reel winding in the hose which isn't working very well.

Its kind of put me off thinking about this tbh.

Yes guys this is very much trial an error with regards reels, remotes and what bits to buy etc.

I've ordered the above and will just make it up as I go along.

If any of you lads frequent a different forum you may have come across this.....
If not well then seems you can convert your hose to an electric one for not very much at all, very similar to the power up one and save yourself £200.

Just ordered my bits for about £35 quid

All you need is similar items to the below, a bit of d.i.y handiness, some simple wiring and away you go

24V Electric Motor Brushed 250W 2750RPM 2-Wired Chain For E Scooter Drive 14A UK | eBay

Electric E Scooter Bike Chain Wheel Rim Drive Sprocket 6mm 25H 80T 80 Tooth Cog | eBay

6mm 25H Gold, Steel DRIVE CHAIN Any Links Split Mini Moto Midi Quad Racing Bike | eBay
Are you going to use a 24v battery as it is a 24v motor?

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Are you going to use a 24v battery as it is a 24v motor?

They are using it with 12v. It slows the motor down a bit. I would also imagine that it reduces the torque output of the motor which I see as a downside.

The one video I linked to showed the problems he had when the hose wasn't being wound in from straight behind.

Someone with more energy than I have could try and adapt a small vehicle starter motor with a small free wheeling gear so the hose can be pulled out easier.

What about a motor cycle starter motor?

Last edited by a moderator:
They are using it with 12v. It slows the motor down a bit. I would also imagine that it reduces the torque output of the motor which I see as a downside.The one video I linked to showed the problems he had when the hose wasn't being wound in from straight behind.

Someone with more energy than I have could try and adapt a small vehicle starter motor with a small free wheeling gear so the hose can be pulled out easier.

Does the motor free wheel backwards for unwinding or is that motorised

Does the motor free wheel backwards for unwinding or is that motorised
No it doesn't. It will cause a little resistance when pulling the hose out. It can be motorised but I doubt you will walk fast enough and the hose will tangle up and get damaged. The other issue is that you would have to operate it on remote.

TBH this in its current form has too many downsides.

No it doesn't. It will cause a little resistance when pulling the hose out. It can be motorised but I doubt you will walk fast enough and the hose will tangle up and get damaged. The other issue is that you would have to operate it on remote.
TBH this in its current form has too many downsides.
I agree, but a very interesting prospect with a reasonable price tag.

They are using it with 12v. It slows the motor down a bit. I would also imagine that it reduces the torque output of the motor which I see as a downside.The one video I linked to showed the problems he had when the hose wasn't being wound in from straight behind.

What about a motor cycle starter motor?

Wow.. I don't want to step on that hose when it reels in. There is way, way too much torque in my opinion.

I've done drawings for a motorised reel for a while, but I am hitting a wall when it comes to the freewheeling. Either it needs a clutch or a manual switch to disengage the drive mechanism.

Since I want it as compact as possible I am looking at using one of these. But I don't think it freewheels due to the gear box, and the RPM might be too low. Still, I want a motor to save space in the car, and to avoid hunching over the boot to reel in the hose all day.

There is also the option of using a nema 17 or 23 stepper motor, they are incredible powerful and easy to dial in to the proper torque needed. But they do need a stepper motor driver and that adds to the complexity.

I'll probably end up using a closed loop GT2 type timing belt, and 3D printed pulleys that fit my claber metal reel. It has some very nice grooves at the end where you attach the handle.

For a remote, you can't go wrong with this type. I would program it to run the motor only when you hold the button down. But since you don't need the range, this one is a bit cheaper, though I haven't tried that type (yet).

What about a motor cycle starter motor?.
Interesting suggestion, any reason why you would think that is a good choice?

About time someone made there own , hose reels are ridiculously priced, when my power up came all it was is a motor chain and bracket !!

Electric winds are OK can't see them being much good If the hose is right round the house. And I think he as been reading certain threads on same site as the reel idear came from 5 house's an hour for 6 to 7 hour's neither of those houses were cleaned properly.

Electric winds are OK can't see them being much good If the hose is right round the house. And I think he as been reading certain threads on same site as the reel idear came from 5 house's an hour for 6 to 7 hour's neither of those houses were cleaned properly.
I've found that anymore than 1 corner and it doesn't reel it back

Im sure it wont be perfect but theres only one way to find out buy the bits and have a mess about and come up with something.

something to do at christmas

As for not having the torque to reel in round corners perhaps not i dont know but i never reel in like that anyway, i gather the hose to the van then reel in.

Ive read that rubbish on there but what has cleaning 5 houses an hour got to do with making a hose reel?

It has nothing to do with making a hose. Trying to clean 3 houses in about 10 mins which is what he was trying to do in the vid at the beginning of the thread is what I was commenting on in response to what spruce was saying about him not cleaning the door properly.

Wow.. I don't want to step on that hose when it reels in. There is way, way too much torque in my opinion.
I've done drawings for a motorised reel for a while, but I am hitting a wall when it comes to the freewheeling. Either it needs a clutch or a manual switch to disengage the drive mechanism.

Since I want it as compact as possible I am looking at using one of these. But I don't think it freewheels due to the gear box, and the RPM might be too low. Still, I want a motor to save space in the car, and to avoid hunching over the boot to reel in the hose all day.

There is also the option of using a nema 17 or 23 stepper motor, they are incredible powerful and easy to dial in to the proper torque needed. But they do need a stepper motor driver and that adds to the complexity.

I'll probably end up using a closed loop GT2 type timing belt, and 3D printed pulleys that fit my claber metal reel. It has some very nice grooves at the end where you attach the handle.

For a remote, you can't go wrong with this type. I would program it to run the motor only when you hold the button down. But since you don't need the range, this one is a bit cheaper, though I haven't tried that type (yet).

Interesting suggestion, any reason why you would think that is a good choice?
I was looking for something that is geared and was hoping it had a clutch mechanism built in. (I don't know anything about motor bike starters but they are fixed so there must be some idler/bendex in the drive chain.

Here is one from a Suzuki Quad bike

New Starter Motor to fit Suzuki LT80 All years and models | eBay

Free wheeling! It reminds me of a washing machine. The drum and the motor are 'linked' with a belt. If you rotate the drum you spin the motor. There isn't that much resistance.

There is always the freewheeling bicycle sprocket/cog but it has too many teeth.

Quality Single Speed Freewheel BMX Bike Bicycle Sprocket 18T Cog 1/8" | eBay

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back