adamangler

D.I.Y Electric hose reel conversion for less than £50

spruce

Excellent. I'm glad you asked the question. In hindsight I should have advised that you needed a chain splitter like we used to use as kids rather than just put a link up to one. Sorry.

best
Excellent. I'm glad you asked the question. In hindsight I should have advised that you needed a chain splitter like we used to use as kids rather than just put a link up to one. Sorry.

It's a learning curve for us all.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Luke Barnard

Just finished mine....test it out on Monday:p

20170224_151817.jpg.9a7960d86bed36fa1a54b9d15b07b223.jpg

20170224_151828.jpg.7a5164cc1f8392f38a86e1b2eb6b2f99.jpg

best

070bc8fed9e1ea848afc615316a9279b.jpg

Got my electric hose reel working.

Added a chain tensioner and heavy duty switch (not necessarily, but it was for me. I over kill everything)

Thanks guys for your input

Luke Barnard

How are people that have made these finding their battery usage? I never bench charge my battery as my split charge relay takes care of it for me but this morning after the 4th house I noticed the hose reel had barely any power, I checked on the controller and the battery had dropped to 11.4 volts!!! I went back to hand winding for the rest of the day!!!

Skxawng

I been tempted to have a go but I'm wondering if they have problems winding on unevenly. Does anyone use hose guides that go left and right to lay the hose on evenly? I'd use a wireless switch to wind in while I walk back to the van to save time, so I wouldn't be able to guide it on by hand. Also with that setup with the motor and chain is it easy enough to pull hose out?

Mark H
070bc8fed9e1ea848afc615316a9279b.jpg

Got my electric hose reel working.

Added a chain tensioner and heavy duty switch (not necessarily, but it was for me. I over kill everything)

Thanks guys for your input

As a DIY enthusiast, I'm thinking of having a a go at building one. Do you have links for the materials bought best?

Good effort there mate!

best
How are those motors going chaps?

So far, all is going well.

Had a small problem, the reel was slow reeling in. After trying many things, I finally solved it. WD40 on the spindle and working fine.

With all types of diy jobs you after expect a few hiccups along the way. It's all part of learning.

Mark H

Any updated info on how these motorised reels are performing???

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

adamangler
17 minutes ago, Mark H said:

Any updated info on how these motorised reels are performing???

Used everyday. Brilliant.

Easy to pull out. Drains the battery though. Adequate torque. Fast enough but will stop when snagged

Mark H

That's sounds very encouraging Adam angler
Thanks

I've placed my order for parts will update my thoughts too.

Dave B

I know a guy local who has.no handles on his hosereels and has a cordless drill with a socket he connects to reel his hose in

Works fine but looks weird 

Dr Von Samstein

I've just ordered all my parts for electric hose reel. Getting excited now.

where did you guys that posted pictures get your hand held switches from? I'm looking for a hand held one with only one or two buttons on in and the coiled up wire that I can pull right out the back of the van if needed as I uncoil twists etc but really struggling to find one.

Also, what size fuse have you all got? Motors rated at 14a 24v so if I run at 12v will it be 28a? That seems a lot

spruce

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Two-Button-Control-Box-tail-lift-winch-windlass/152390646227?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D44760%26meid%3D6fcb9556c9c0489ba5ca26a074c6e0c5%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D262824182973

Fuse is another issue.

Ohms law says you are correct. However as the motor is 24v reducing the power input to 12v will reduce the motor's speed by half as well as the motor's torque. Does that mean that the fuse need is 7 amps? :1f632:

I don't know the answer to that.