Jump to content
adamangler

D.I.Y Electric hose reel conversion for less than £50



Recommended Posts

Skxawng
3 minutes ago, spruce said:

I see Waterworks in Corby is offering a 12vdc motor for £48.00 including VAT

 

https://www.waterworkswindowcleaning.co.uk/products/12vdc-powerup-motor.html

Doesn't give any details about it and the picture doesn't give much away. Looks pretty much the same. But it might be a 300w. Probably still a 12/24v motor even though it says 12v. Just goes to show how ridiculous £3.49 is. They were pretty cheap at £23.99 on eBay!

Share this post


Link to post
Skxawng

I think they've got wise to it. Ordered 2 more and got some microfiber glass cleaning thingies instead.

 

 

Strangely though, they've still got the motors listed on Amazon for £3.49...

Edited by Skxawng

Share this post


Link to post
LAMS

I haven’t received mine yet 😔 😩

Share this post


Link to post
Tuffers
5 hours ago, Skxawng said:

I think they've got wise to it. Ordered 2 more and got some microfiber glass cleaning thingies instead.

 

 

Strangely though, they've still got the motors listed on Amazon for £3.49...

 

Got a link for the Amazon please?

Share this post


Link to post
Cleanteam South west

Just ordered mine, cant believe they can sell them for that 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Tuffers
2 minutes ago, Skxawng said:

@LAMS @Scots lad @BigFoot

Did you ever get your motors through?

 

I told my son about these cheap motors. He's an 18 year old Richard Branson. I think he bought all of the stock last night. 

Share this post


Link to post
BigFoot
7 minutes ago, LAMS said:

Nothing yet... word count @Gav please get rid

I Recieved the microfiber pronged things. 

I think they got wise to it. Just asked for refund or the motors I  ordered. 

I recon some poor chap is having a bolocking for a typo 😂

Share this post


Link to post
LAMS
Just now, BigFoot said:

I Recieved the microfiber pronged things. 

I think they got wise to it. Just asked for refund or the motors I  ordered. 

I recon some poor chap is having a bolocking for a typo 😂

I’ll end up with them most likely...

 

Refund it is

Share this post


Link to post
Adman

Arent they obliged to supply what theyve advertised?  

Share this post


Link to post
Skxawng
3 minutes ago, Adman said:

Arent they obliged to supply what theyve advertised?  

You'd think so, but enforcing it would be difficult. 

I've ended up with 6 motors though. 2 for me, 2 for a mate and another two for a future project.

The last 2 I ordered and got microfiber prongy things instead I'll just return for a refund. 

Share this post


Link to post
Skxawng
1 hour ago, BigFoot said:

I Recieved the microfiber pronged things. 

I think they got wise to it. Just asked for refund or the motors I  ordered. 

I recon some poor chap is having a bolocking for a typo 😂

I don't even know if they got wise to it or if it's just so badly organised that the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. Surely once they'd realised their mistake (if mistake it was) then they'd edit the listing. Maybe it's just pot luck wether you get motors or microfiber prongy things!

@Tuffers Hope your aspiring entrepreneur doesn't end up with 1000 microfiber prongs! (Why do PetrolScooter even have microfiber glassers wipers anyhow? Did they just send them from another seller as a loophole as they have to send something )

 

Edit: they've updated the price, now £24.49

Edited by Skxawng
Update

Share this post


Link to post
Tuffers

My son put 2 separate orders in. One has been dispatched and the other one has been cancelled due to a pricing error. 

Share this post


Link to post
Cleanteam South west

Just got an email saying its been dispatched, so fingers crossed.

Share this post


Link to post
LAMS

Trick is finding a sprocket that’s suitable.

 

I’ve had to order the one from China as I need a large inner hole to fit my reel...

Share this post


Link to post
Skxawng
22 minutes ago, LAMS said:

Trick is finding a sprocket that’s suitable.

 

I’ve had to order the one from China as I need a large inner hole to fit my reel...

I have searched the entirety of the internet it seems looking for the perfect sprocket. I've looked into custom laser cutting but it's expensive for a single item. 

There seems to be 3 common central hole diameters: 26mm (a touch too small for us), 29mm and 54mm.

Then for the 3 holes sprockets, there are many different sizes between the holes, most common being about 33mm.

We need 46mm for the petal reel. 

Also many different numbers of teeth. The bigger ones with more teeth are better for us.

The power up ad-on kit has 80 teeth. Must have had them custom made. (Pictured below)

Screenshot_20190131-190636.png

Share this post


Link to post
spruce
11 hours ago, Skxawng said:

I have searched the entirety of the internet it seems looking for the perfect sprocket. I've looked into custom laser cutting but it's expensive for a single item. 

There seems to be 3 common central hole diameters: 26mm (a touch too small for us), 29mm and 54mm.

Then for the 3 holes sprockets, there are many different sizes between the holes, most common being about 33mm.

We need 46mm for the petal reel. 

Also many different numbers of teeth. The bigger ones with more teeth are better for us.

The power up ad-on kit has 80 teeth. Must have had them custom made. (Pictured below)

Screenshot_20190131-190636.png

 

Interesting that it has 80 teeth. Common engineering practice is to use an odd number of teeth for the driving sprocket in combination with an even number of chain links for uniform wear and tear on the teeth and rollers. In this case, a particular tooth of the sprocket wheel does not come in contact with a particular link of the chain for every rotation.


It would appear that Asian engineering doesn't follow this practise (I didn't know that) so it could well be that these spockets are available somewhere in Asia as a standard item. I couldn't imagine Waterworks paying large sums for a couple of custom made sprockets.

 

https://www.logisticshandling.com/articles/2012/09/05/1952-why-having-odd-teeth-could-save-you/

 

The motor drive socket has 11 teeth so I would go back to finding a sprocket with an odd number of teeth and fitting a chain with an even number of links.

 

But then, considering the low usage (not continious) of the reel, am I nitpicking? 

 

 

Edited by spruce

Share this post


Link to post
Skxawng
1 hour ago, spruce said:

 

Interesting that it has 80 teeth. Common engineering practice is to use an odd number of teeth for the driving sprocket in combination with an even number of chain links for uniform wear and tear on the teeth and rollers. In this case, a particular tooth of the sprocket wheel does not come in contact with a particular link of the chain for every rotation.


It would appear that Asian engineering doesn't follow this practise (I didn't know that) so it could well be that these spockets are available somewhere in Asia as a standard item. I couldn't imagine Waterworks paying large sums for a couple of custom made sprockets.

 

https://www.logisticshandling.com/articles/2012/09/05/1952-why-having-odd-teeth-could-save-you/

 

The motor drive socket has 11 teeth so I would go back to finding a sprocket with an odd number of teeth and fitting a chain with an even number of links.

 

But then, considering the low usage (not continious) of the reel, am I nitpicking? 

 

 

That's pretty interesting, never heard that before. Makes sense, though even numbers seem pretty common with these rear ebike/scooter sprockets.

I bought 2 78t ones. 60t are also common and the original sprocket listed on pg1 of this thread (now out of stock) is 80t. Wonder if they use an odd number of links?

Maybe they're available in Asia but I've spent a long time on Alibaba and Wish looking without results.

(I've got a bad cold at the moment so plenty of time on my hands until I feel up to going back 🙂 )

Edited by Skxawng

Share this post


Link to post
Scots lad

Received glasses cleaners as well  dont even wear glasses

Share this post


Link to post
Cleanteam South west

Postmans just been and gave me a box with a shiny motor, absolute bargain.

Share this post


Link to post
LAMS
31 minutes ago, Cleanteam South west said:

Postmans just been and gave me a box with a shiny motor, absolute bargain.

I hope I receive 2 shiny motors?!...

Share this post


Link to post
Tuffers
19 minutes ago, LAMS said:

I hope I receive 2 shiny motors?!...

 

My son has received 10x crappy plastic glasses cleaning things. Why the feck do they send these out instead? If they got the price wrong then just admit it and not accept the order.

53 minutes ago, Cleanteam South west said:

Postmans just been and gave me a box with a shiny motor, absolute bargain.

 

Did you pay £3.49 or the proper price?

Share this post


Link to post
Cleanteam South west

I paid the £3.49. I was getting worried, even held off on buying the rest of the parts i needed.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.