Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Awnings and porches

WCF

Help Support WCF:

P

Pete McAdam

View attachment 9088

I planned to target an area near mine but I was surprised to find about 80% of the houses have an awning or porch making access to the windows above difficult by ladder.

I dont want to have to miss out on them and Im not ready to go to WFP yet.

What would be the easiest method of cleaning these? Are the Unger Opti-loc poles any good and with what fitted to it? Sponge or brush?

Any ideas?

View attachment 9087

Learn to use a swivel squeegee on a pole from the ground or place your ladders to the side of the window

Learn to use a swivel squeegee on a pole from the ground or place your ladders to the side of the window
I've tryed and tryed that still can get it so I'm happy with the finish dam wagtail now just sits in van

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

I am leaning towards a pole solution. My ladder has articulated feet so digging it in, isn't an option. The stand off would work, but I have to think whether it is worth the time to fit it.

This is just one example of loads of different types of porch I have seen around here.

Check out polzn bladz and Christopher dawber vids on youtube

That will give you some ideas

u could cut a big squeegee down to the size of that window and just do strate pulls if i fit a angle adapter u can get it set so u can close out

The likes of that window always try and dog in the grass or go to the side of it or look for something to bring your ladder back to, some awkward windows I park the van and bring the ladder back to the wheel so it can't slip

I used to use harris pole from b&q with a mod to fit an unger adjustable crank and cone with a wagtail slimline flipper

Now i use an old fibreglass wfp pole with the front piece of an angle adapter bonded into an excelerator handle that is used solely for awkward jobs where i can't be bothered to drag the wfp round

Thanks for the replies. I have put on my shopping list, an Unger Opti lok 3 section 4.5m pole, and Wagtail slimline flipper. I reckon that once i have got to grips with it, I can take these jobs on with no worries.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have ladder matts the spikey rubber and use them on decking plus the can level the hight on one side when working on a slope £20 ebay
Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
I know the ones. I use them on top of the Ladder M8Rix. Have had them slip in the past mind when on their own. Fair do , I was carrying a 100lb chimney pot up the ladder at the time which made a certain part of my body twitch like a rabbits nose when I the slid backwards. The stand off came away from the wall and the ladder bounced off the guttering. Still swear by the M8rix though. Even on wet slate. /emoticons/smile.png

I got an old coconut bristle door mat and screwed a bit of lath on the back side of it to rest the ladder feet against. Last year I was using it on decking with ice on it. I fell slipped over walking on the decking but up a ladder on that mat it didn't move a mm.

I still prefer doing it with a pole though. Straight pulls are fine if you have angle adaptor and start at the top of the window and pull horizontally to the side of the glass before pulling down, or wipe/dry the rubber between each pull with a sill cloth. I always get good results like that but it takes practice. And to detail keep an elastic band handy. Take squeegee off and wrap dry microfibre around end of pole and keep it from hanging down on the glass with elastic band. Works better for me the the fixi-clamp or whatever it's called

Back