Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Double DI Vessel cost

Dr Von Samstein

Hi

I currently buy all my water from a friend for dirt cheap but I've been looking at filtering my own water. At home is about 240ppm but space is a real issue. We live in a flat and space is very limited so i am considering if it would be better for me to link up 2 di vessels and filter it that way. I like the idea that it is quicker and there is no waste water, and am even thinking that this way would be easy for me to re-fill at a willing customers house while working because i only have a small tank.

Anyone got any experience/idea what type of running costs it would be and how long the resin would last? I only use about 1500 litres a month so im relatively low usage but getting more all the time.

Hi
I currently buy all my water from a friend for dirt cheap but I've been looking at filtering my own water. At home is about 240ppm but space is a real issue. We live in a flat and space is very limited so i am considering if it would be better for me to link up 2 di vessels and filter it that way. I like the idea that it is quicker and there is no waste water, and am even thinking that this way would be easy for me to re-fill at a willing customers house while working because i only have a small tank.

Anyone got any experience/idea what type of running costs it would be and how long the resin would last? I only use about 1500 litres a month so im relatively low usage but getting more all the time.

Should give you a rough idea.

Resin Calculator

Thanks, nice little calculator from xline there and I like the one I found the gardiner web site too. I suppose what I am really wondering is how much difference the 2 di bottles make instead of just one?

The xline calculator said a bag of resin would last me about 5 weeks, but that's using just one di bottle. I am guessing that at the end of 5 weeks it would read around 10ppm coming from that resin. So if I ran it for another 5 weeks what would the tds be? Would it now be at 20ppm or does it climb exponentially? Because obviously if the first bottle is taking it down to 20 or even 50 then the second bottle is going to last a LOT longer! I would even get some old used resin from a friend just to get the first bottle started. Am I making sense?

Thanks for your help

Just get the first D.I vessel and use virgin resin. Worry about the 2nd vessel when funds get better.

Yes a 2nd vessel would polish it up when the resin in the first is getting tired but even using tired resin in the first I believe at the moment would be more hassle than it's worth.

For me, the leap of ppm has risen and dropped.

Before now I have run water at 2 ppm for a week due to me being a muppet and not ordering new resin in advance and it stayed at 2ppm with no complaints off my customers.

Another time I had 2ppm, was pushed for time and just went out to work that day. Filled up that night and being lazy not changing resin and hit had leapt to 56ppm.

Hi

I would carry on buying it tbh.

Being in a flat there is a potential of all sorts of other issues, ie. water usage, neighbour complaints etc.

Filling up at 'willing' customer's taps isn't the answer either IMHO. Some may initially offer the provision, but they usually believe it will be for cleaning their windows only.

Customers also switch water off to outside taps in winter. We have had lots of customers voluntarily fit water meters in the last few years on the belief they will save money on their water bill, and it would appear the first thing they do is switch off access to the outside tap.

Many years ago the typical trad guy round here would ask the first customer to fill his bucket with warm water and drop a splash of washing up liquid in it. Later on when the water got dirty he would ask the next customer to do the same.

WFP has changed that mentality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I'm bringing this topic up again because I'm looking again at doing double di. I've took on lots more work farther away from where I buy my water from so it's becoming more of a time issuer than anything.

I now want to know if I can do this

Fill tank in van with tap water (nice and fast)

Put two di vessels before the pump

Filter en route to windows?

Any thoughts? Or would it be better to put the di after pump? I have heard that the most eco way of using di is super slowly so surely this would be good, no? Also anyone know about legionnaires risk having a tank of unfiltered water in the back in the summer?

Thanks

if your tds is over 100 twin di will not be cost effective once your using a fair amout per day eg my tds is 36 i use about 5-700ltrs a day and buy a bag of resin every 4 month on average. , you will get nowhere near this at 240 , i would carry on buying it

i have a mate who has twin di in his van and has certain jobs where he can fill up but he does freebies or drops the price for this also he's got the patter of arthur daly lol and our whole county has low tds.

maybe buy water and only use twin di when/if you need to top up

So I've gone ahead and set it up today since i found all karcher hose fittings for £2 or less at b and Q and i find them stronger than hozelock.

All seems good, vans a mess at the moment because of pressure washer in there but will be nice and clean soon, only question is this, my TDs is coming out of 19ltr do vessel with new resin at 3 ppm. From di 1 is 170 because it's a friend's old one but surely it should be at 0 out of di 2IMG_20170424_175635199.jpg

IMG_20170424_175642145.jpg

Back