Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Rain Water Collectors

A

Alec

i like you collect rain water for the purpose of WFP... 1st My rain water reads at 22, whats yours read at? 2nd is there anything we can do to the water to bring it down more before its put into our systems?

When you grow weed you can bring the PH down from tap water readings to zero lol.. Surely there must be a cheaper way to get rain water lower before it hits our DI tanks..

This is my setup. Reads 12 . Just pump it over the fence to my van with onboard DI . 11 kg. I can run 6 months + with that . So in fact it's dirt cheap. I don't see any reason to bring something that low as 22 down before DI . Of course only it's my opinion. View attachment 9116

This is my setup. Reads 12 . Just pump it over the fence to my van with onboard DI . 11 kg. I can run 6 months + with that . So in fact it's dirt cheap. I don't see any reason to bring something that low as 22 down before DI . Of course only it's my opinion. View attachment 13087

lol i get your point dude, but nothing like pushing the boundaries man. What if i Phd it down lool

I wouldn't know ! But this setup is supplying me with loads of free water . We have much rain in my area . Within the next 3-4 months il be setting up a second one IBC then parallel- connect these suckers to receive even more ! /emoticons/biggrin.png

The quality of your water will depend on where you live and the state of the roof you are collecting water from.

Our garage roof is painted felt and when the gutter is clean, the water coming off the roof is around 4ppm, but this depends on the weather conditions and atmospheric pollution.

The same water coming off the house roof is around 35ppm. The roof consists of those old concrete roof tiles which are well past their sell by date. We would get better results if we painted the roof tiles.

Our problem here is that we don't get a consistent rainfall to justify rain water harvesting unless we had a large water storage facility. We also aren't on a water meter so just r/o tap water ATM as its the most convenient.

I wouldn't know ! But this setup is supplying me with loads of free water . We have much rain in my area . Within the next 3-4 months il be setting up a second one IBC then parallel- connect these suckers to receive even more ! /emoticons/biggrin.png
That is until her indoors puts her foot down. :rofl:

Water for W F P should read 0 ppm but if your happy with contamination as high as yours just use a DI system. Costs about £10.00 to produce 20,000 litres

Mate, I've got 3 X 1000 barrels at the top of my yard, rain water into barrel one, which when full starts to fill 2 which when full starts to fill no 3 the last... water tested in barrels is 22ppm so was thinking of running filters between 1 & 2 & maybe 3 would come below 15 maybe 10.. Then I obviously pump into my van tank which runs it through my DI tank..which then reduces it to zero, well mine is 2.

David how do you stop overflow, if you've ever got that much? Also what pump do you use to get it to the van?

How much do you wfp?

3x1000l sounds a lot but in reality if you wfp a lot it won't last long during dry spells

I can do 1000l a week just wfp'ing tops easily

I have an overflow pipe on no 1 tank.. pump wise I'm using a 400w submersible pump from screwfix.. I made a big hole at barrel 3 so pump fits in, I'll install electric outdoor plug by them at weekend.. I hardly do any WFP at moment as just started out, getting a few done though & have one tomo... I thought I'd struggle on 3000 if I get busy.. I'm a bit OCD ******* over kill to be honest...

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I don't ! If it flows over it'll just run out on the ground.

I use a submersible with a 1" hose over the fence to the van .

David how do you stop overflow, if you've ever got that much? Also what pump do you use to get it to the van?

Sounds great ! 3 barrels ! Respect!

I have good results with putting one of the wifeys nylons at the end of the drain pipe/hose . Then cleaning it regularly. That takes a lot of the impurities out of the water .

Mate, I've got 3 X 1000 barrels at the top of my yard, rain water into barrel one, which when full starts to fill 2 which when full starts to fill no 3 the last... water tested in barrels is 22ppm so was thinking of running filters between 1 & 2 & maybe 3 would come below 15 maybe 10.. Then I obviously pump into my van tank which runs it through my DI tank..which then reduces it to zero, well mine is 2.[/QUO

Sounds great ! 3 barrels ! Respect!I have good results with putting one of the wifeys nylons at the end of the drain pipe/hose . Then cleaning it regularly. That takes a lot of the impurities out of the water .

Well I spent the night searching internet, there is nothing on the market so I'll use a pair of tights matey..

This works well with the fine mesh insert

Gutter Mate Diverter & Filter

I use mine the opposite way round so the small pipe (that's meant to go to a water butt) has an in line tap in so all the water is diverted to the main down pipe - which goes to my IBC set up. I then use a 10" clear bowl sediment filter before my transfer pump to get it in the van. I've seen a few good ideas on you tube that use a 'dummy' downpipe with a screw blank on the end prior to it going to another downpipe that goes to the tank - principle being the first downpipe fills with water (which contains the majority of the debris from the roof) then overflows into the next which has clean water. The first downpipe then gets emptied before the next downfall to get rid of all the dust, dirt and moss etc.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

This is my setup. Reads 12 . Just pump it over the fence to my van with onboard DI . 11 kg. I can run 6 months + with that . So in fact it's dirt cheap. I don't see any reason to bring something that low as 22 down before DI . Of course only it's my opinion. View attachment 13087
That's cool but how long would it last you I use around 1000 1200 a week ....it's kind of a love hate solution in it because as windys we don't want rainy days then on the other hand your like yeah's my tanks are filling

That's cool but how long would it last you I use around 1000 1200 a week ....it's kind of a love hate solution in it because as windys we don't want rainy days then on the other hand your like yeah's my tanks are filling
Correct about a week !

Yeah its a love hate ! My wife dont under the crazy smile om my face during rainy days /emoticons/biggrin.png great to be out working and knowing im getting free water at the same time . :thumbsup:

Latest Posts

Back