Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Building a website

mikeymikey

Hi does anyone no of a decent site I can make a simple website for my window cleaning business.? Have just transferred to wfp so the time seems right! Nothing fancy just a basic type website as I'm on a tight budget. Thank you, Mike

Get yourself a cheap hosting package (£14.99 a year from tsohost.com) and a domain name - install wordpress in it & off you go,.. there's a small learning curve with Wordpress, but its a system that can do pretty much anything

Try Wix. About £8 a month. I own 3 and they are very straightforward to put together.

Also have links to your facebook page if you have one and you can add PayPal for on-line payments from custys. That's of course if you are not using Go Cardless.

Great thanks both of you. I will check them out. I don't get paid via PayPal atm, its just bank transfers and cash. And the very occasional cheque !

It would be a good idea to decide if yiu have the time to run a website and consider letting someone else to build and maintain it.

If you are just wanting a site to take online payments and refer yiur customers to then any old site builder site will do.

If you are wanting to build a great site and get ranking for various services and generally buold a brand the its going to take a lot more learning, knowledge time and effort not just initially buy ongoing. Things like videos, blogging,back linking and updates etc can be very time consuming and may be better handed over to an expert.

I've built a few sites which start with good intentions but along with everything else involved in running a business does add up to a lot of work and so it gets pushed to the side.

I sometimes think we try to do too many things and don't delegate enough. Web design and seo is one area where it's better to pay someone else IF you can afford it, if not we'll thats a different story but it would be my aim to get into a position where you can afford it then offload it asap.

Hi well I am on a tight budget atm with being winter and the expense of my wfp so just a basic site where payments can be taken, some photos etc etc.

Great thanks both of you. I will check them out. I don't get paid via PayPal atm, its just bank transfers and cash. And the very occasional cheque !
PayPal are a bit naughty with the rates they charge but handy

Hi well I am on a tight budget atm with being winter and the expense of my wfp so just a basic site where payments can be taken, some photos etc etc.
Totally agree with adamangler with how a website can take up a lot of time if you are not careful.

Nothing wrong with getting some on-line exposure and you can do worse than the host I mentioned.

You can do some basic SEO yourself by making sure that you enter key words, place you live, area you cover, services you provide etc etc etc.

Beware though should you go down the road of getting the site built for you and anyone claiming to that they are SEO experts.

There's a holiday cottage empire that I know based down in Pembrokeshire. They have 4000 holiday lets from Italy to Wales. I now the owner very well and if you were to ask him about SEO he would just shiver.

I kid you not, they spend £10 million a YEAR on SEO and have 15 full time members of staff working solely on the websites and he tells me that it's constantly changing. 18 years they have been working on SEO and they've still not the hang of it.

There maybe people who are very good but no-one is an expert so watch the cash before handing it over to someone claiming to be. /emoticons/smile.png

Not trying to promote one of the many strings to my bow but I teach photography. Built this site when I was living in Pembrokeshire.

This is with a wix site.

www.pembrokeshirephotowalks.com

Have a look in your area at any business hubs/council. Many are running SEO or social media courses. Worth their weight in gold. Have been to many and always something new to learn.

Make a facebook page and add a paypal button on there if your on a budget and add your pictures etc?

There are some free web hosts out there, not sure if they are any good though, but like Njones said you could be up and running for £20 a year, you just need to have a go at making your own.

Back