Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Add on tools

Chris33

Sitting bored!

So decided to have a look at a few add on tools for the new year; below is the ladder guard I had my eye on. It would be to fit lyte ladders,is this a decent set up or any better ones?

The v bar looks handy,for corners too.

Ladder Stay/Stand Off with 'V' Extension Ladders Portable Telescopic Extension | eBay

Secondly for potential roof cleaning I wanted to get a roof ladder,seen the below and wondered if this was the best set up?.

Lyte Double Section Roof Ladders

I know there is universal roof ladder hooks out there,but not sure they would drill through a set of lytes and be safe?

I used to do a lot of roof work at 1 stage years ago, chimney sweep, and we fitted pots and cowls on a regular basis/

I used to own double section roof ladders and they nearly killed me.

When you were coming off the roof and got onto the lower section of the ladder, it used to lift the ridge hook, which is all that is holding you on the roof, up and on one occasion the ridge hook actually lifted over the ridge.

Brown trouser moment. Luck would have it I was just transferring my weight onto the extension ladder and had 2 points of contact.

From there it was always roof ladders that were flush to the roof.

Maybe others on here have found different. A couple of friends of mine who worked as roofers never felt safe using the double ladder either and they had to watch them on roofs, they were like Spiderman.

I also used these when I had a roof that was longer than the 18 foot single roof ladder I used the most or on very short roofs.

A bit of a faff bolting them together but nothing that will effect your day to day working. /emoticons/smile.png

Tukaway Alloy Sectional Roof Ladders from Ladders999 - Lansford Access Ltd

Cheers mate that link you sent,

Are those a solid looking set up then?

Funnily enough I have had my first roof enquiry today and it's a long sloping bungalow. Looks like it'll need the 24 foot set up.

Is it just a case of manually removing the moss and spraying chemicals over it when done. I'll need to look into that side of it more and will need to find greens video on roofs that he put up over Xmas

Anyone any advice regarding the ladder stand off?

Cheers mate that link you sent,
Are those a solid looking set up then?

Funnily enough I have had my first roof enquiry today and it's a long sloping bungalow. Looks like it'll need the 24 foot set up.

Is it just a case of manually removing the moss and spraying chemicals over it when done. I'll need to look into that side of it more and will need to find greens video on roofs that he put up over Xmas

Anyone any advice regarding the ladder stand off?
I found no worries with them to be honest. The closer the ladders are to the roof the better I found. Less flex and the roof is taking your weight. Less likely the ridge hook lifting off.

A MAJOR tool for using any type of roof ladder set up is a ratchet strap. You don't need the whole length. Just about 2-3 foot if that.

Strap the roof ladder, when you are happy it's secure, to the extension ladder. If it's too long you will just be tying it up knots and if you don't it will just get wrapped around your feet and not good up height. /emoticons/unsure.png

Might sound obvious but often overlooked. /emoticons/smile.png

If anyone else has any opinions on that set up I would be glad if they can say so. Feel a bit wrong with just me saying, you might hate them. /emoticons/ohmy.png ( I hope not) /emoticons/smile.png

Hey @Chris33

When I need roof ladders I get them at my local hire shop.

Single section are what I go for. £14 per day rental.

Reason I rent them is A: Storage B: Only need 2 or 3 times per month. C: didnt know which to buy so started renting and that works for me as I just add the cost into the quote. /emoticons/smile.png

Also a top tip from @"H" about ratchet straps. I have two heavy duty velcro tyoes. . One for securing the extension ladder to the gutter to make sure it dont go anywhere when I aint on it and the other to fasten the extensuon ladder to the roof ladder.

Ladder stand off worth there weight in gold never felt unsafe when using one compared to without . If trading upstairs windows find I am a comfortable distance from glass rather than too close .

Back