Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

future of window cleaning

WCF

Help Support WCF:

greenhorn84

Do people see window cleaning and think earnings will rise or drop in future? As more people enter as the risk of falling is removed by the water fed poles or do you think the new start up costs will act as a barrier against people entering.

I think wfp opened the door to far more people in this game that wouldn't go near a ladder, it also give the chance for people to make money quicker and more of it , but as most people say there is enough work for everyone...at the minute lol

Years ago when it was all ladder work and poor money nobody wanted to know

Really they would start up and be gone in a flash, now with the wfp they are all having a go, you see a new window cleaner every month now .

Window cleaners high wage or rate is here to stay Times av changed all for the best and yes there is enough work for everyone, but can everyone look after it

The older window cleaners here (Essex) who i have known all earned well traditionally going up the ladder, so think the right area you could make money traditionally years back.

Just thinking if in 10 years it will be the same and people still earning well.

Also can you see a big firm/firms taking over the market?

Which part in Essex you from? I would say Traditional window cleaners far out weigh the water fed pole guys where I am in romford.

I remember it was an embarrassment to say my dad was a window cleaner :laugh: was quite Skeeby to say so

I remember it was an embarrassment to say my dad was a window cleaner :laugh: was quite Skeeby to say so
I used to be embarrassed to tell people whilst on holiday that I was a window cleaner 20 years ago

New starters have never had it so easy.

Reach and wash is unbelievably cheap to get into back pack £100 ,pole £150 and with a lot of places selling pure you don't even have to out lay the cost for an RO.

The first reach and wash I saw was from a company called Tucker and at the time there systems where around £10k plus vat and the cost of a decent van to hold it.backpacks,trolleys and selling pure was unheard of.

Gaining new work via advertising now is becoming easier there are lads on here who have built whole rounds of Facebook for pretty much nothing 10 years ago a decent listing in the yellow pages would cost a couple of grand.

These minimal early set up costs are what attract so many.

The only thing is with so many now doing this eventually new business growth will slow down it won't effect the well established to much but building good rounds will become a lot,lot harder.

Thats true about new round being harder to build.

Theres still plenty of houses out there that dont have a cleaner but i think gone are the days of building ultra compact work like house after house on the same street.

Compact work to me is having a house on the next street!

You're all forgetting that it takes around a year before things click into place and you start earning good money, not many people stick it out that long and see the rewards, also all the headache of being self employed, complaints, equipment failures, horrible weather, bad/non-payers, it soon all adds up and before you know it you've given up, (or if you haven't saved enough capital - you've gone out of business!!).

This is no different to any other business, if you don't work hard and do it right, you'll go as fast as you came.

Don't worry lads, you're the ones who stuck it out. Don't like 90% of all small businesses fail in their first year? That will include window cleaning.

Have to agree with meridian i only started 7months ago it aint easy ive seen 2 other people been and gone im not worried though i have nearly 8000 homes going up within a 15m radius but a lot of people dont have what it takes for self employment ive been at it 4 18yrs now

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I used to be embarrassed to tell people whilst on holiday that I was a window cleaner 20 years ago
As was I when I started lol

Have to agree with meridian i only started 7months ago it aint easy ive seen 2 other people been and gone im not worried though i have nearly 8000 homes going up within a 15m radius but a lot of people dont have what it takes for self employment ive been at it 4 18yrs now
I was going to say holy **** you clean 8000 homes :eek:

Thats true about new round being harder to build.
Theres still plenty of houses out there that dont have a cleaner but i think gone are the days of building ultra compact work like house after house on the same street.

Compact work to me is having a house on the next street![/quote

u have said urself that u need to focus more on window cleaning

There's good plumbers, bad plumbers

Successful electricians and unsuccessful electricians

It's the same goes with our line of work, I know a guy who gets 100% perfect results every clean, but the guys got the manors of a pig and a chip on his shoulder. Great Window cleaner but ****** most his clients off so lost it all.

Basically put in more than the other guy and you'll be fine

i have an area with 100 houses, new builds, all on same area. out of around 120. i have seen 2 different guys , 1 does only 2, the other does around 4.

if they think they might get notied and asked for a quote ,im afraid not. if i did a **** job and over charged then maybe.

new cleaners have to do this to have some income coming in bits here and there, one of my customers said he was amazed at how many canvassers and flyers he said on 1 weekend thurs - sun he had 8 yes 8 different cleaners after customers..

lots of new cleaners must think they get all the gear and can just expect to build a round in a few weeks canvassing.

There's good plumbers, bad plumbers
Successful electricians and unsuccessful electricians

It's the same goes with our line of work, I know a guy who gets 100% perfect results every clean, but the guys got the manors of a pig and a chip on his shoulder. Great Window cleaner but ****** most his clients off so lost it all.

Basically put in more than the other guy and you'll be fine
not from Essex is he...I know someone like that....

Back