Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cheap second hand vans

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Clisty1989

I'm finally outgrowing my car and looking for a half decent van for under a grand. Finance is out of the question as my car is on finance and with my credit rating its nt feasible. Looking for a connect or swb transit sized. Any ones I should avoid? I know I'm looking at an 05 or earlier, would like newer but I know its not gonna happen. I should add I still do a lot of trad work so need a lowish roof. Any advice would be great.

My van was £1750 a year ago the van pictured in stuck in the mud! And it's mechanically touch wood brilliant and bought it with hardly any service history 12 months mot from a small trader in Cardiff when it come to mot it was rotten underneath and sills cost me £850 to put it right for another year but still worth it if I didn't need such a big van for pressure washing soft washing gutter vac window cleaning I would be lookin for a kangoo or Peugeot partner for 1k mark you will be buying a transit like mine rotten and or spares and repairs

I'm finally outgrowing my car and looking for a half decent van for under a grand. Finance is out of the question as my car is on finance and with my credit rating its nt feasible. Looking for a connect or swb transit sized. Any ones I should avoid? I know I'm looking at an 05 or earlier, would like newer but I know its not gonna happen. I should add I still do a lot of trad work so need a lowish roof. Any advice would be great.
I have a Transit connect on 05 plate, X builders van purchased from my old Boss.

Bought at 55000 miles and had cam belt done right away then aux belt.

My mechanics a good friend and tells me its all sound underneath, no rust as of yet.

I do have gear box thrash and now at 83000 miles so some thing to listen out for on test drive, also looking to fit 350 ltr tank this year.

If you can find a good one a 2.0hdi 800 lx around 02 to 52 Peugeot Partner or Citroen Berlingo could be a good choice. Low mileage and accident free. The good thing about these vans is that the lower half is galvanised dipped so body work underneath is usually pretty good. A lot of the blue ones out there were British Gas vans so were generally well looked after for the first 4 years of their lives.

You need to have them check out as remanufactured rear suspensions will set you back £500 to replace and fit. Side loading door is a must IMHO.

Cambelts should be done every 10 years or 100k. PSA recommended 5 years or 80k.

I would be careful of the Dispatch/Expert from between 02 and 05. They weren't galvanised dipped and rot is an issue.

Look on the MOT history website for a detailed report on each MOT inspection.

Last edited by a moderator:
My old van was a beast.

1.9d fiat scudo 2001.

Best part of 300 on the clock

Had it two years no rot no trouble what so ever. Simple and solid.

Ford Transit paid only $8,000 USA
385a98ce6b50be6574742738005983fa.jpg

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

My old van was a beast.
1.9d fiat scudo 2001.

Best part of 300 on the clock

Had it two years no rot no trouble what so ever. Simple and solid.
Second this....although mine was 2.0hdi, quite pokey.

£400 got me 6 months use without having to spend a single penny on it, I then sold it on for £350 when my new van arrived :)

I'd love a brand new Van but I get a buzz out of vans less than 2k and then you make thousands of pounds on them it's a good feeling..plus with brand new vans like cars your frightened to park it anywere etc. My transit get licked with underbody seal and bit of paint by me once a year still goin strong lol

I considered getting a new or much newer van when mine blew up last week.

But they just dont make financial sense, a 10 grand van over 5 years is going to lose how many thousands? plus it could still have big bills iin that time you never know. Ive just forked put 700 quid on mine but thats the first major expense apart from 100 quid on m.o.t in the year ive had it. thats only 60 quid a month which is much less than depreciation/finance repayments etc.

Dont get me wrong if money was no object i would van, its nice to have shiny new things.

I considered getting a new or much newer van when mine blew up last week.
But they just dont make financial sense, a 10 grand van over 5 years is going to lose how many thousands? plus it could still have big bills iin that time you never know. Ive just forked put 700 quid on mine but thats the first major expense apart from 100 quid on m.o.t in the year ive had it. thats only 60 quid a month which is much less than depreciation/finance repayments etc.

Dont get me wrong if money was no object i would van, its nice to have shiny new things.
I looked at it a little different.....

... I know the most profitable way to do it would be a reliable old tank that you buy outright and fix little bits as you go but you've got to be lucky/knowledgeable enough to find that van and confident enough to invest in fitting it out.

The blue van in my profile was meant to be that van but after ...blown power steering pump, four new injectors, rear springs, full engine rebuild (which I did myself on the drive/in my shed), knackered turbo...its cost me thousands £, many days off and sleepless nights!!! Thats in one year of owning it!

My new (well pre-reg with 10 miles on the clock) van cost me very little up front and a days worth of work each month, half of that monthly payment will be mine in capital after five years when I own the van.

I know what I'll be paying out each month and I can be as certain as anybody that I can get out and work each and every day. That peace of mind allows me to concentrate on the work and not f##k a##eing about with equipment all the time.

Yes i see your point but when i priced up a newish van i was looking at 250 a month over 5 years roughly

250 a month is 3 grand a year, whats the chance of spending 3 grand a year for 5 years on repairs?

I suppose its whats makes sense to you personally, if i was earning a lot more than i am now then 250 a month wouldnt be much to pay for peace of mind. 250 a month is a lot of money to me right now, maybe in another year ill get a new van

Alright Clisty, here's a few pics of my old van. It's sitting on my drive if you want it m8. I'll PM ya a few details. Get back if your interested.
c2db1724d4e8e9d3e625e730ad844c80.jpg
c2db1724d4e8e9d3e625e730ad844c80.jpg

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
Happy with my connect at the moment and think for a one man outfit they are perfect, but would like a two man system in the near future.

Yes i see your point but when i priced up a newish van i was looking at 250 a month over 5 years roughly
250 a month is 3 grand a year, whats the chance of spending 3 grand a year for 5 years on repairs?

I suppose its whats makes sense to you personally, if i was earning a lot more than i am now then 250 a month wouldnt be much to pay for peace of mind. 250 a month is a lot of money to me right now, maybe in another year ill get a new van
It does seam off putting when you put it like that but do bear in mind that just over half of that monthly payment is interest and devaluation and whats left is capital (which is yours when you sell the van) plus you take the costs off your tax return and NI which saves another 25%ish.

I spent about £2500 on repairs in this tax year plus the devaluation of my blue van from what I paid a dealer (and the VAT) to what I can sell it for privately. All in its cost about £5k which I know is probably about as bad as these things get but I couldn't leave myself open to the possibility again.

I'd love a brand new Van but I get a buzz out of vans less than 2k and then you make thousands of pounds on them it's a good feeling..plus with brand new vans like cars your frightened to park it anywere etc. My transit get licked with underbody seal and bit of paint by me once a year still goin strong lol
I'm with you on this on A. K and I still only use a car. Always have right from when I started with wfp nine and a half years ago. I get a kick out of the fact that even my new xtreme pole is worth probably twice the value of my car now. It's clean and tidy and has been totally reliable to date. I've often contemplated getting a small van but I don't actually need one and just can't bring myself to part with my car. It'll be 20 years old in the summer of 2019.

Across the board ultimately it all depends on what type of set up you want or need I have a 400ltr diy set up in the back of my truck which is strapped in , Now for anyone who would prefer a van diy set up in a brand new van with just strapping the tank in for example then just lease a van they are a whole load cheaper starting prices for a small van is around £150 a month with vat added over 2 years .

vanarama.co.uk

Across the board ultimately it all depends on what type of set up you want or need I have a 400ltr diy set up in the back of my truck which is strapped in , Now for anyone who would prefer a van diy set up in a brand new van with just strapping the tank in for example then just lease a van they are a whole load cheaper starting prices for a small van is around £150 a month with vat added over 2 years .

vanarama.co.uk
The word from just before the price tells you that this is the starting price for the very base model at the lowest annual mileage.

I looked through the website and couldn't find 1 reference to the annual mileage the rate was calculated on.

The price also looks good, but adding VAT don't make it look so good. (Yes, you did say + VAT @Iron Giant but that's a small note in the detail and not the price + VAT together).

There was a mention that mileage reflects on the residual of the van value at the end of the leasing period, but they don't 'link' that to how it would reflect on the payment plan.

The website is all about generating an enquiry for the sales people in the office to work and negotiate on. I would be most surprised if any quotes worked out to what they are advertising.

I also noted that not one Q&A asked for the mileage. The questions listed were the ones that would encourage a buyer to want to get happily involve in the product they were selling. How many miles to the gallon will my van get? is one of them. Are these questions genuinely asked by potential buyers or have they been written as sales 'bait' by the web designers? (I apologise but as I'm getting older I'm getting more cynical. I've also been in the trade and seen the way things work from the other side.)

What they don't mention is what it will cost you to return the vehicle to the condition they expect it to be, fair wear and tear excluded after 2 years. That's a human evaluation and no two evaluaters will see things exactly the same. Their mood can also make a difference. How do they evaluate those everyday scratches and small dings all our van's experience over time?

Leasing a vehicle is about the you paying for the depreciation of the vehicle and an amount of profit for the dealer and the finance house. If you purchase a van then you are still going to experience depreciation no matter how you buy it. - cash or finance.

The thing is that the manufacturers want you to lease a new van. At the end of the contract you hand the van back - you have nothing and then have to start the cycle again and lease another van.

I'm not against leasing. If you buy a van on HP it belongs to the bank until you have paid every penny you own. But I don't see the sense of renewing a lease every 2 years.

On average we are a business sector who don't do much annual mileage. I've done 29k in 7.5 years. So I would rather consider keeping a van a lot longer than 2 years.

I also wouldn't want to put a 400 liter tank in the back and use the vans load restraint system to hold it in place.

Latest Posts

Back