Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

moss/algae removal

P

paulm

Hi guys what product would you use on a residential tiled roof to remove light algae/moss ? Thanks

Power wash it.

To remove moss from a roof there are only two ways to get a good instatnt finish.

1: Power wash

2: Scrape and brush the moss off first then apply a biocide to take care of lichens etc. Will be a couple of months before good results on the biocide.

20170113_135017.jpg

As per option 1 - A power washer is still the most effective method.

Power wash it.
To remove moss from a roof there are only two ways to get a good instatnt finish.

1: Power wash

2: Scrape and brush the moss off first then apply a biocide to take care of lichens etc. Will be a couple of months before good results on the biocide.

View attachment 13266

As per option 1 - A power washer is still the most effective method.
2b395d88e37eaa7ea0475eb3e160a37b.jpg

This is swept and brushed. Only took a couple of hours

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Picture 1 @Dave Maycock still shows loads of lichens.

Picture 2 (IMO) shows someone that needs to be secured before being sent up a roof.

You are comparing chalk and cheese with those pictures, one is nice flat and yes can be brushed easily and the second would take an age to brush.

As for it taking 'all day' how long should it take? A thorough roof clean is time consuming job. For most we tell the client all day but perhaps it will creep into day two. Longest roof I have done took six day so far. This is why we charge well per roof as it takes time.

Picture 1 @Dave Maycock still shows loads of lichens.
Picture 2 (IMO) shows someone that needs to be secured before being sent up a roof.

You are comparing chalk and cheese with those pictures, one is nice flat and yes can be brushed easily and the second would take an age to brush.

As for it taking 'all day' how long should it take? A thorough roof clean is time consuming job. For most we tell the client all day but perhaps it will creep into day two. Longest roof I have done took six day so far. This is why we charge well per roof as it takes time.
That's a bungalow. With a flat roof 2ft below the bottom of the ladder. Where the washer is sat and the person taking the photo is stood.

The guy asked a simple questions about he differences of brushing and jet washing. I had two photos to hand that I thought might help. The lichens are still on yes. As we weren't asked to treat the roof. They just wanted the moss removed. To stop it blocking the gutters.

Brushing two pitches of the roof in pic one took 2 hours and 17 minutes. Jet washing 4 pitches like the one in pic number two. Took 6 hours and 48 minutes.

Seemed a relevant response to the title of the thread.

That's a bungalow. With a flat roof 2ft below the bottom of the ladder. Where the washer is sat and the person taking the photo is stood.
The guy asked a simple questions about he differences of brushing and jet washing. I had two photos to hand that I thought might help. The lichens are still on yes. As we weren't asked to treat the roof. They just wanted the moss removed. To stop it blocking the gutters.

Brushing two pitches of the roof in pic one took 2 hours and 17 minutes. Jet washing 4 pitches like the one in pic number two. Took 6 hours and 48 minutes.

Seemed a relevant response to the title of the thread.

What sort of money did you charge for that mate

So would hypo not clean these roofs then once the moss was removed? I had always thought power washing a roof was last resort because the chance of water ingress to loft space etc?

As I am sure @Dave Maycock will agree, powerwashing a roof is fine, as long as it's done properly.

By this I mean with the right machine at the right pressure with the right nozzle using the right technique.

Also moss is now classified as a plantand is protected under laws you can't just remove it by applying chems such as hyopo. (Dont always work either, just turns the moss shades of brown but does not remove it alltogether)

Moss should (for compliance) be removed by scraping, brushing or powerwashing it off.

But to answer the the technical aspect of your question yes several coats of hypo would have these cleaned up quite nice.

Just for the sake of clarity @Cristian 'SOME' types of moss are protected. Yes it seems there is more than one type.

Now to me mos = moss, I couldnt tell the difference or the names but there will be some botanical council bod that can and that's where you'll run into issue.

I've just googled this and there is many plants, fungi,lichens,moss etc that are protected. By the looks of it though it is in the countryside where this is mainly relevant. If you have someone's permission on their private property to remove moss etc I don't think there is anything anyone could do, I guess on listed buildings this could be different though?

6f2920b6755c47507d554ac29865b638.jpg

This is jet washed but took all day

Ok sorry t

o ask a off topic question but what the hell is holding that ladder up on there? I have a pressure washing company we do window washing etc. I do you rip sometimes and I'm looking at that like wow that could save me a lot of time. It would be really cool if somebody would just link me where I can buy the attachment to hook onto my letter like that thank you in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok sorry to ask a off topic question but what the hell is holding that ladder up on there? I have a pressure washing company we do window washing etc. I do you rip sometimes and I'm looking at that like wow that could save me a lot of time. It would be really cool if somebody would just link me where I can buy the attachment to hook onto my letter like that thank you in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not an attachment for a ladder it's a specific ladder for roofing google it..

Back