Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What's the best way to clean these gutters?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

slippy

Got two people who have asked me to clean out gutters the first two photos the front of house has porch. Can I stand on that? The back conservatory has gutter above it. Where shall I postion the ladder. I have an ankaklad stabiliser and stand off which could go on fascia board. Is this safe? Then use long pole with scoop on end?

20170119_170028.jpg

20170119_170555.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
20170114_134521.jpg With below photos is it safe to walk on those tiles to get to gutters to clean them out? And how the hell do I clean out gutters along the side of house? Not enough space for ladder.20170114_134512.jpg

20170114_134756.jpg

20170114_131245.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a gutter vac some of that could be done off a ladder using a Harris pole and a trad aplicater to drag the dirt to one end of the gutter away from the overhang that you cannot get to

The tiles look sturdy enough but only you can tell. As the boys say, use an old dirty applicator to move all the dirt to one end of that narrow side bit then go up and clear out with gloves

Looks like you'll have to do some tile walking in pic 2. You might get away with a stand off down the narrow alley, depends if there's room to move the ladder back and stand off still on fascia though.

Have you got Pro Gutter tools and a Harris/Unger pole?

Up sell cleaning the outside of the gutters, they need a clean.

Get yourself down to B&Q and buy the pro gutter tool to stick on the end of a Harris pole/wfp. Pro gutters are a tenner and you'll save no end of time. I do an identical house to the one in the second pictures. The tiles are concrete and very grippy (even when covered in moss and ****) you'll be able to reach the gutter when on the roof. With the conny one I always clean towards the down pipe so put your ladder as close to the conny as you can, pull the debris towards you and empty then move to the end and do the same. You should only need to move the ladder twice per side. Just be careful in the gravel as I've had my ladders slip a couple of times - I use a microlight and would not be without it for gutter jobs. The side access with the close fence looks perfect to wedge your ladders dead against it, yes the angle might be a bit on the steep side but the ladder isn't going anywhere trapped against the gravel board.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

agree with all above and a glass act says wedge against fence for the tight side walkway the ladder wont go anywhere and angle looks ok and walk on the tiled roof only roof i wont walk on is slate- spread your weight evenly on the tiled roof and dont wander around to much stand one end with harris pole and gutter tool just looked over all the pics above easy gutter cleans really ive had a howler of a day on the gutters would swap any day for your jobs lol

Get yourself down to B&Q and buy the pro gutter tool to stick on the end of a Harris pole/wfp. Pro gutters are a tenner and you'll save no end of time. I do an identical house to the one in the second pictures. The tiles are concrete and very grippy (even when covered in moss and ****) you'll be able to reach the gutter when on the roof. With the conny one I always clean towards the down pipe so put your ladder as close to the conny as you can, pull the debris towards you and empty then move to the end and do the same. You should only need to move the ladder twice per side. Just be careful in the gravel as I've had my ladders slip a couple of times - I use a microlight and would not be without it for gutter jobs. The side access with the close fence looks perfect to wedge your ladders dead against it, yes the angle might be a bit on the steep side but the ladder isn't going anywhere trapped against the gravel board.

bang on how i would do it

Didn't think to look in b&q was going order one online cheers

Looks like you'll have to do some tile walking in pic 2. You might get away with a stand off down the narrow alley, depends if there's room to move the ladder back and stand off still on fascia though.

Got a 6 metre unger pole, what pro gutter tool u recommend? I got spoon thing like a spatchela, what do you recommend?

agree with all above and a glass act says wedge against fence for the tight side walkway the ladder wont go anywhere and angle looks ok and walk on the tiled roof only roof i wont walk on is slate- spread your weight evenly on the tiled roof and dont wander around to much stand one end with harris pole and gutter tool just looked over all the pics above easy gutter cleans really ive had a howler of a day on the gutters would swap any day for your jobs lol
Got a 6 metre unger pole, what pro gutter tool u recommend? I got spoon thing like a spatchela, what do you recommend?

The tiles are big ones and the slope not steep, what shoes you recommend for not slipping on them? Hiking boots with vibram soles or my norma S3 work boots?

Both your jobs look like square line guttering, so start with that, B&Q only sell the standard sized square and half round, pro gutter sell four but the two I got from B&Q have covered all my work. As someone else suggested initially - an old microfibre on the end of your current tool will do a great job

Where's Steve Garwood - definitely a few jokes in that last post slippy!! I personally use them at roof line height as you can see what you are doing, plus if they are rammed you can take a bit at a time and not make too much mess. I assume your on about using the pro tools!

I don't think you'll struggle with walking on the roof - like I said they look like the concrete rough textured. I use approach shoes for the smoother ones (keen brand - for rock climbing) walking boots with vibram should be more than adequate. Someone a while ago said they wore socks over ther shoes?

Avoid the edges of the tiles - concrete ones are brittle. The lath that holds the tile lies approx half to 3/4 up the visible part of the tile (depending on the overlap) you'll get a feel for them once you are up. Avoid the first row if you can but they are normally nailed at the top and bedded on to a thick bed of mortar or laid on top of traditional plain tiles - so shouldn't break as easily as you expect.

Back