Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

DPF exhaust filters

WCF

Help Support WCF:

spruce

The Sprucefather
Please can we have some feed back from cleaners with newer vans (2007 onwards) which have these exhaust filters fitted who do a minimal daily mileage.

This is mainly with the regeneration process of burning off exhaust soot.

Thanks

It should but it will block at sometime and it's not doing engine any good as it can't release gasses as good. I had mine removed and the van is good on fuel and power is better

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
Thanks for your reply.

What you are advocating is to break the law. Removing a DPF filter is illegal. I would suggest that you remove/delete both of your posts TBH.

The reason for fitting DPF filters is to reduce the amount of soot deposits in the air which have an adverse effect on some peoples breathing and is blamed for x number of deaths a year in the UK.

I have an older Hdi van without DPF and need to consider upgrading as MOT is going to be an expensive issue in a couple of months due to rusty sills.

I do around 4,000 miles a year so really wanted to know real life experiences living with a DFP van.

Just take your van on a run along the motorway that usually clears mine
Do you get a warning when you need to do this?

I had left the motor trade by the time these had to be fitted. We had them on Citroen C5 2.2 Hdi's prior to 2005 and they were a pain in the butt TBH.

But those were early days and things improved quite quickly.

I have heard two things about this. Every 300 miles regeneration takes place and you should around this mark, hit the dual carriageway/motorway to maintain at least 50 mph at over 2000 revs for at least 10 mins. the other one is Shell v-power premium which has been made to eliminate the need to go for such a drive. Life of these filters are 80,000 - 100,000 miles and then it gets really expensive.

I have a skoda diesel car which had a dpf problem last month. The engine management light came on and it went into 'limp home' mode. I put some dpf cleaner that I bought from Asda in the fuel tank and drove it up and down the motorway for 15/20 miles and by the next day the light went off and the engine returned to normal. Hope that helps!

They are a flawed technology to begin with and a real pain in the butt!! The ECU is programmed to pump extra fuel into the system to raise the temperature enough to burn the soot off. If you interrupt a regen cycle then it begins all over again the next time you drive. During a regen you will average about 10mpg and they can take upto 25 minutes to complete. Usually there is no notification light or anything to tell you when a regen is active- only when one MUST be completed because the filter is dangerously full. The adblue system is much better IMO.

They are a flawed technology to begin with and a real pain in the butt!! The ECU is programmed to pump extra fuel into the system to raise the temperature enough to burn the soot off. If you interrupt a regen cycle then it begins all over again the next time you drive. During a regen you will average about 10mpg and they can take upto 25 minutes to complete. Usually there is no notification light or anything to tell you when a regen is active- only when one MUST be completed because the filter is dangerously full. The adblue system is much better IMO.
Adblue is to reduce oxides of nitrogen (NOx) where the dpf filter is to remove the soot. New diesels have both adblue and a dpf filter don't they?

I have heard two things about this. Every 300 miles regeneration takes place and you should around this mark, hit the dual carriageway/motorway to maintain at least 50 mph at over 2000 revs for at least 10 mins. the other one is Shell v-power premium which has been made to eliminate the need to go for such a drive. Life of these filters are 80,000 - 100,000 miles and then it gets really expensive.

£1100 for a replacement for a Citroen Relay! That's the part only, no fitting labour. Goosh!

The DPF light has come on once or twice in my van in the past couple of years.

There is generally no warning or sign of a regen with mine it will just go through a phases of smoking a lot which I am guessing when the regen is taking place.

My garage advice me to take it for a decent run out every now and then keeping the revs high it is also having shorter time lengths between oil changes even though it does little millage.

Adblue is to reduce oxides of nitrogen (NOx) where the dpf filter is to remove the soot. New diesels have both adblue and a dpf filter don't they?
As far as I'm aware, Adblue is added to the fuel to aid the heating process. It's not so much the soot but the hazardous content of the soot. If you expose the soot to a high enough temperature, for long enough then the hazardous part is neutralised and the remaining soot is safe- or safer. Some DPFs are further away from the engine than others and so require extra heating.

I'm considering having the DPF removed from our car. You remove the filter internals so that the DPF is still visible for MOTs and then the regen process is written out of the ECU.

I had the EGR blanked off on my 1.6 Hdi Dispatch- best thing I ever did. No smoke anymore, no EML and not an issue with emissions for MOT.

Spruce it can depend on the age of the vehicle and make we bought a 57 plate Suzuki Grand Vitara in the winter of 2010 within weeks of using it as my works motor the DPF light came on and this happened every 2-3 weeks so I had to drive around for 45 minutes until the light went off now ultimately the DPF was close to been knackered I got rid the summer of 2011 for a L200 without a DPF

I now have a Series 5 L200 with a DPF light has never came on since new and I don't even know if it should but it goes through a much shorter DPF regen process on a more regular basis so my mate tells me , I am clueless about motors but my mate knows loads just try to do as much independant research as possible is the only advise I can offer really .

I'm considering having the DPF removed from our car. You remove the filter internals so that the DPF is still visible for MOTs and then the regen process is written out of the ECU.
I had the EGR blanked off on my 1.6 Hdi Dispatch- best thing I ever did. No smoke anymore, no EML and not an issue with emissions for MOT.
Can a local garage blank off the egr? Having problems with eml and at the moment.

Back