Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water Saving

Is water saving important for you while you work?

• Yes

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

uribra

Our new service cleaning shops window...
Greetings to you all! I'm new to the forum, and after reading a few threads here I am very interested to learn more about other people's ways to save water while working in the window cleaning business. I believe it is very important, and I'd love to hear your thought on the matter. Hope to hear from all of you!!! :)

uri bracha

cleaning windows while abseiling

www.windows-cleaning-abseiling.com

ניקוי חלונות בגובה

Come On Guys & Gals!!! I see some of you were reading my post. How about some thought on the matter? :p

I live in the North west of England and even though it rains a lot water saving is still a high priority and the less the water you use daily the less you have to transport less resin to make pure water and in the long run it will save you money and give you a sense of well being :p

Thanks for the input, nearclear :p nice to know water saving is a priority for you as well :)

Those are some good ideas, Cleaners, Thanks! but I was actually thinking more in the way of idea's about how to save water while window cleaning.

All the best!

I have few water butts connected to my gutters on the roof and collect rain water which would otherwise go down the drain,I harvest this water and pump it through my DI vessel to make pure water,I probably save about 400L a week which I would take out of the tap.In Britain we sometimes take water for granted but with the rise in population water is becoming more valuable

I too feel it is important to conserve water.

As I work out of a car I don't have the space for too much , so every bit counts.

I use an aqua-dapter to save waste while working, and keep the flow controller down - to give me 1.4L per minute from the brush.

I always shut off when moving between windows.

If I set my flow controller to give me less water, I find it takes me longer to get a proper rinse & I end up using the same amount, or sometimes even more.

If I have a conservatory roof, I may use 25L of tap water from the customer's outside tap, and just use pure to finish off - which saves 25L of waste water at home.

While talking about waste water, I use that to water the garden, and keep the pond topped up.

Hi again, FlipFast!

Glad to read you have water saving on your mind!

Where are you from, if I may ask?

Hi Uri,

Originally from Witney near Oxford, but moved 4 years ago to

Staines, London
Nice to know water saving in going on in europ. Here in israel, where i live, it's a big issue. how long have you been in the biz?

Hi Paul, Nice to meet you!

I usualy just use a bucket with water and soap (much more water saving efficient),

but there are places where it is out of the question while abseiling, for example in cases of more then 2 meters in negative abseiling and the wall is inaccessible for a basket crane. In those cases I use the water fed pole.

Hope I answered your question :)

My custys never forget that I have a green footprint even after 10 years, rainwater is great stuff.

I learnt how to be economical when I first started using the original backpack, you need to be ecomomical when you have to wear it/carrying it. Gradually I got my useage on regular glass ony cleaning, as low as 330ml / min 500ml max (or half a litre.) Start with your brush jets, decide how many you need and then the size, this governs your useage, you also dont need high pressure pumps ( I really like the small dinky Flojet 42psi ones) I also found that small bore hose restricts your ueseage so a long time ago used- First pvc 4/6mm Raindrip hose then went on to 4mm ID aquarium air pump silicon hose, its super flexible even when freezing. The Hozelock micro watering (remove the small black caps)jets fit nicely into both hoses.

Cheers !

i have just bought a remote control in USA

45$ inclusive shipping

that will save som water!

motoft

Denmark

I have a remote start/stop on my water pump to save water between jobs or while getting paid!!

Works from about 80 metres on a good day!!

Nonsense, No, definitely not, window cleaning is a timed based service - which for a lot of window cleaners who earn a lot of money is directly linked to their earnings (strangely enough!) - And reducing flow rate won’t necessarily mean you are saving water anyway, if you are going to take longer to clean.

Water is a natural resource that is cheap and easily available in the UK and the cost when compared to earnings isn’t significant to limit its use when working.

I don’t deliberately waste water or time and work efficiently and can clean a medium sized pane of glass in a few seconds with a flow rate of 2.5lt a min or 42ml flow rate per second. And I bet I a can use less water than some of those who use a lower flow rate and think they are saving the planet at the same time.

Technically you could say any one who purifies water with reverse osmosis is wasting water, because a lot of it goes down the drain, it’s actually a load of nonsense (how many other people do you know who clean water!) theirs a use for this pure water produced and window cleaners are running a business, although rain water harvesting is a good idea, not because you are saving water, because you save cash and its sounds good for marketing reasons.

I am a (wfp) window cleaner and this water saving concept is something you may tell potential customers. But don’t try and sell it to a window cleaner who takes a natural resource cleans it and then makes a load of money from it. If I really cared I would go back to trad.

Richard

Back