Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Canvassing question

"brass neck" chap the door if they are boiling ,brush it of on to next house.

ok someguys might think that is being harsh but you have to look after yourself

Don't think it's illegal but you could be reported to the regulator and investigated. If they get a few complaints re you, is it really worth the hassle and a potential fine.

I'm sure plenty small business' have went bust over less.

Potential bad reviews on FB business page too. People amaze me everyday with their slyness, could happen.

I just shove a leaflet through but don't knock

I also leaflet "no junk mail" houses

If they need a window cleaner it is not junk

How do i know

I knock.  Then step back a couple of paces.  When they open the door I say: "I'm sorry, I knocked before I noticed your 'no cold callers' sign - my apologies", then turn to walk away.  By this time their curiosity is roused and they always say "What was it about anyway?"

Works every time :1f61c:

Last edited by a moderator:
I knocked a door once that had a sign up. I can't remember exactly what it said but it was basically no this, no that or no other. 

I knocked the door and said, I read yr sign and it didn't say No Window Cleaners so I thought I would give you a knock. Rude git just slammed the door in my face. Made me laugh though. 

I think I'm probably one of the best qualified people on here to answer this question.

First off, as I understand it the "don't knock" stickers don't actually have any legal standing, despite the dire warnings they contain.  (But I'm not a lawyer, so I could be wrong about that).  Same for "no cold calling areas".  If you think about it, there's a good reason for this - if the stickers/areas DID have legal standing local politicians wouldn't be able to knock the doors come election time - and they're not going to legislate anything that'll put themselves to any inconvenience.  

As to the practicalities - you shouldn't really come up against much negativity if you're chapping for window cleaning.  (The other good one is building up a milk delivery round).  

I knock doors for pretty much everything (yes, even including the ubiquitous double-glazing) - and my experience is that 9 out of 10 people don't even remember they've got a sticker.  Chances are it was put up by a previous occupant anyway.  Just get into your pitch - if they're bothered they'll tell you.  Apologise for "not noticing" the sticker and move on.  

The worst that will happen is that the local blue-bottles will be called and move you off the plot, although they usually take so long to arrive that you'll have finished the area and be leaving anyway.  

In general, I find no-cold-calling areas and stickered up houses the most productive - maybe because they're the ones least chapped.  

Back