Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Parking Tickets

James Turner

Hi guys. New to the forum. I was curious how people deal with parking tickets. I got my first one ever yesterday when I was working in an area where all the spaces were gone. Admittedly, I was on double yellows and bang to rights but would have thought there would have been a bit of leeway for workmen. Ticket wasn't issued by a warden but the police.

Doesnt mean diddily. I rang my council and spoke to them about it because one warden in my town said I was OK to park on single or double yellows in the town centre (or the road just off) as I have 'Window Cleaning' signwritten all over my van in big letters. Then about a month later, as I was parking on a single yellow line, another warden came along and told me he'd let me this time but if he hadn't seen me, he would have ticketed me.

I told him what his collegue had said, but it didn't go in. He was such a jobsworth. Apparently you dont need common sense to be a Civil Enforcement Officer (not ticket wardens anymore).

All I do is one shop front in this town and you could see it from where I was parked. Takes about 10 mins. But no, apparently I can't even have that much time..

If you do get a ticket, you can repeal it of course but local authorites are so strapped for cash now that they will prob fine you anyway. If you can, try and find a space to park, otherwise pay and display and claim it back on your tax

Parking on double yellows is an INSTANT fine. No discussion nothing.
Tough cheese if there were no parking spaces mate. Life sucks.

Either come back when there are spaces or add the cost of the ticket to the job.
Some double yellows have allowances for loading, do they not? Once was let off (on a Sunday morning) as wasn't away from the vehicle for more than 20 mins which was apparently the loading time on that stretch.

I actually discussed this very issue with my council (somerset) yesterday on the phone. They allow parking on single and double yellows for window cleaners to carry out the clean, providing there are no "loading markers" on the kerbs. I believe each authority has its own rules however, so best check with yours.

IMG_7963.JPG

www.wellingtonwindowcleaning.co.uk

Parking on double yellows is an INSTANT fine. No discussion nothing.
Tough cheese if there were no parking spaces mate. Life sucks.

Either come back when there are spaces or add the cost of the ticket to the job.
Some local authorities do allow window cleaners who are classed as loading and unloading to park in double yellows.

Maximum unloading time though is around 20 minutes.

Some authorities though have no allowances for this

Here is a note I sometimes use on occasions

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

73de2ccd82b3db47311d9fd453e2a03b.jpg

I was a multi drop delivery driver not too long ago parking on double yellows regularly and running in for 5 mins or so.

I never got a parking ticket but ONLY at the discretion of the traffic wardens. Due to it being a busy city and loads of us doing it we were ok for 5-10 mins.

But technically it's illegal I could have got a ticket at any time the warden chose to.

As said above if they see you loading or unloading you are ok, of you've buggered off for 5 they would probably ticket you depending on the jobsworth involved.

I tend to park right outside and keep an eye out for traffic Nazis and if I see one jump in go round the block and come back once they're gone. :whistle:

Back