Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

In need of advice..

relfy

Basically I'm writing this because i need some advice. I work for someone else cleaning windows by wfp.. have been with him for 4 years and just over a year ago he got a new job so gave me his van and all his work, gave me a target of £180 a day and I get £100 a day which seemed fair for me as I'm 20 years old...

But lately he just doesn't seem interested..

I need a new pole, leisure battery, tfr chemical and a pump and he just won't do anything so I'm struggling to work, also not even putting enough work on a day so I can reach target. I give him the cash at the end of the week which he just pockets and tells me he can't afford to buy the equipment needed and I'm getting sick of it so I'm thinking about starting my own business up!

I have got a few rounds of my own but not much at all I would say only a good solid 4 days graft..

I can get a new van and equipment but is it wrong of me to go to his customers and just explain that I'm starting my own business and would they want to go with me or stay with the same business even though they won't no who the next cleaner is?

I've been thinking about it for a while now and i don't want to do him over as I'm not like that but giving the customers the option.. is that bad of me?

Any advice is appreciated.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

dump the loser and move on !

He,s clearly not int.in his own business . Get your own gear , Van etc. And earn 100%. Maybe He wanna sell you the rounds ?

In the cleaning game you want to work for yourself .

1. it's better for your pocket with regards to income as all profits come to you.

2. you're in charge of where you work and for what price.

3. You control the business and the decisions regarding that - how expand, venture into different avenues of cleaning etc.

4. Phycologically it's better - no more working and someone else reaping the benefits of your grafting. You'd be surprised what that does to you.

I understand you not wanting to just 'take' his customers so maybe you could offer to buy the work. It'd have to be on a knock down price though as it's you who's kept it going all these years and after all - who's he going to get to cover it if you just upped and left???

Good luck buddy ; you're doing the right thing :thumbsup:

If he's got any sense he'll realise that your going to go on your own. You've got an advantage over a new starter. I'd offer your services as your own company at the same prices to the existing customers you have. You need to think about yourself. Twenty is a great age to get going. F*+k him. He doesn't take his company reputation very seriously. Don't make the same mistake.

Ask him how much for his round & offer to pay weekly

I agree with this approach, wether he's got his head in something else now, might have other stresses or might just be an arsehole, you agreed to run the round for that cut, which seems fair (obviously him not taking care of his responsibilities doesn't sound fair) but rather than do a dirty and try and steal his customers give him the ultimatum/option to sell first... almost sure he'll agree by the sounds of it... if u just knock his customers you've still done a wrong un in my opinion

Work out how much his work takes a month. Then on the quieter days gain your own customer base and put that money to one side, as well as any spare cash. Once you have 2.5x His round value then offer to buy work for 2x monthly value. If he says no, go to 2.5x. If he still says no then give a months notice, use the saved money to buy own tools and if any left a small round. As you do last cleans explain to customers that it'll be your last time doing them as your going solo. At the same time give them your number/leaflet/businesd card and say "if your ever unhappy with the service, give us a ring". Its the same line I give to anyone who has a windy when I canvas. Your not poaching work as they have an option, and if underpriced price properly/add a quid or 2 either way so your not undercutting him. Id expect 80% to switch to you if you do a good job as they know your standard. Whatever's left after that, revise your offer for the rest for 2x. People will disagree with what I said, but at the same time sounds like he finds it an inconvenience having the round.

Theres nothing stopping you nicking his customers but its a shitty thing to do and i would expect a kicking if i did that tbh.

Do it the right way, offer to buy his work, if not **** him off and start up on your own.

Theres nothing stopping you nicking his customers but its a shitty thing to do and i would expect a kicking if i did that tbh.
Do it the right way, offer to buy his work, if not **** him off and start up on your own.
If he did that, he could always keep an eye on the round and if/when it goes tits up, buy it at a hell of a discount

Ask him how much for his round & offer to pay weekly

I totally disagree!

If you got the funds to go it alone then do so mate. I would approach him and simply say 'Poles knackered, battery is knackered and I need TFR to service YOUR customers, If you don't want to spend on the gear then it's time to go our separate ways'

His round has no value as he does not maintain it. If it's you dealing with all the punters then YOU'RE THE VALUE in the round.

Now, if he can't be arsed to deal with a bit of maintenance to ensure his £400 a week off your graft then just drop him and look out for you.

If you know the crack and your got the gumption then now i the time to knock doors, spring is in the air. You may only have 4 days now but knock doors for 4 more days and you'll have six days and on and on.

Sounds to me like you're keen so drop the loser and get on.

Back