Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Buying a van EU4, 5, 6???

H

Hunty

Hi all so looking to buy a van and a bit bamboozled by the terms EU4 EU5 etc, do I need to be wary of buying a van worse than EU5 due to the changes they plan to make on Disel vehicles and the low emmisions zones that is soon to hit London and the rest of the cities?

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Depends whether you travel into the congestion charging zone or not.

From October 2017 if vehicle older then 2005/euro4 engine then you have extra £10 daily charge on top of congestion charge.

I do every day and a new van will be needed by September 2020.... Euro6 engine...

My current van is 2013 Euro 5.....

I wouldn't be surprised if other cities were to follow...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the lez (low emmisions zone) is larger than the congestion charge in London, it's on the a406 which 2 of my rounds would be affected, so at min it's eu4 or 2005 have seen a few traffics witch are 2009 and are eu4 so should I avoid an eu4 engine or not worry?

It's very complicated - the LEZ has been in operation since 2008 and covers within the M25 but only applied to HGV's with further vehicles added at various dates since. If it's under euro4 then you're charged.

the ULEZ will come into force in September 2020 and only covers congestion zone.

before that there is the additional T- charge for under euro5 which covers the congestion charge area and starts October 2017

Somewhere i have logged a website that will check your vehicles registration and tell you if you have to pay and from what date.

I'm currently paying £220 a month rising to £480 in 2020 if i don't change my van - it's 2013 Euro 5....

Hardly old!

Low Emission Zone (LEZ)

That will tell you if your van (just scroll down and enter reg details) has to pay the LEZ or not but it obviously doesn't make you aware of any future dates that your van won't pass.

The biggest changes are still only happening within the congestion charging zone so if you don't enter that area then i wouldn't worry overly if i was you.

UPDATE.

From 8 April 2019, the most polluting cars, vans and motorbikes will have to pay £12.50 to drive through central London (in addition to the congestion charge)

The charge will apply to petrol cars that do not meet Euro 4 standards and diesel vehicles that do not meet Euro 6 standards.

Approximately this will mean petrol cars more than 13 years old in 2019, and diesel cars over four years old in 2019, will be charged.

It will apply 24 hours a day, 365 days a year

Plans to extend the area up to the North and South Circular roads for heavy vehicles in 2020 and for light vehicles in 2021.

Proposed 2021 ulez area map...

This is going to be a huge problem for many many people!

IMG_20180604_171235_274.JPG

@ PartTimer.

Yes it does. I’ve just bought a second hand euro6 van (2017) it was the oldest that I could get that would pass the stringent tests so hopefully last me a good few years.

The enlarged proposal for 2021 will clobber a LOT of people, estimates are 1.5 million vehicles that will either have to pay the £12 daily charge or buy a new car/van.

Other cities are contemplating bringing in a similar thing..... ?

@ PartTimer.

Yes it does. I’ve just bought a second hand euro6 van (2017) it was the oldest that I could get that would pass the stringent tests so hopefully last me a good few years.

The enlarged proposal for 2021 will clobber a LOT of people, estimates are 1.5 million vehicles that will either have to pay the £12 daily charge or buy a new car/van.

Other cities are contemplating bringing in a similar thing..... ?
It's the "other cities" I am worried about, I'm in and out of Cambridge fairly often and they have to be one of the most vehicle unfriendly cities around.

It’s highly likely,

Oxford are hoping to turn parts of their city centre into a ZERO emission zone by 2020.....

I can see Cambridge being not far behind.....?

Look on the positive side PartTimer'

This is the perfect excuse for you to order a brand new, top end Ford Custom,  with all the bells and whistles ?

Us Northerners can't afford nowt new, especially Ford Customs. A Dispatch or Vivaro might be in order though.

I think Ford are doing a scrapage scheme - you get about £7k deduction off the price if you trade in your old van.

no doubt nearer the time they will do a similar thing for those outside London 

Back