Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Getting customers.

derick

Ive been cleaning windows for about 3 month's now and have only a handful of customers. My biggest downfall is talking to customers and asking them if i can clean their windows. Do you guys have any advice for me on talking to the customers? How do you introduce yourself and ask if they would like their windows cleaned

My usual line is. Hi I'm a windowcleaner i clean several houses on this estate and wondered if you have a window cleaner? No we don't. Well I'll be cleaning this area next Monday I would be more than happy to come to yours. For the whole house it's only £12.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I now go with "hi, my names mike, I'm cleaning a few of your neighbours windows over the next few days, and was wondering if I should book you in as well". By assuming they'll say yes, more tend to.

I now go with "hi, my names mike, I'm cleaning a few of your neighbours windows over the next few days, and was wondering if I should book you in as well". By assuming they'll say yes, more tend to.
That's far too cheeky for my liking; very presumptuous. I wouldn't take well to someone saying that to me personally!

I tend to say something along the lines of, "Hi, I'm X, I'm cleaning a few of your neighbours windows on X day so I thought I'd drop by and see if I could tempt you with a quote".

Very few people have turned me down at this point and not been curious as to ask what the price is.

That's far too cheeky for my liking; very presumptuous.
That's the idea, by making the assumption they want it done, it makes it seem like like if they say no they are missing out on something. It was a little tip I learnt when I was doing sales, and seemed to work for this. At the very least it slows down the no, giving you time to win them over.

That's the idea, by making the assumption they want it done, it makes it seem like like if they say no they are missing out on something. It was a little tip I learnt when I was doing sales, and seemed to work for this. At the very least it slows down the no, giving you time to win them over.
I'd tell you to jog on mate, I think the assumption is pretty rude!

The assumption works lol. I used to do insurance & id sell it & just get my pen out, head down & start filling my form in.. upto them to stop me, they all need it..

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
You aren't getting the point; regardless of whether you get an initial yes from a customer or not. That presumptuous approach is pretty rude and won't go down well with some customers. we all have our reputations to think about

Offering an ongoing service is a bit different to selling a one time item such as insurance.

I've never 'talked' a client into taking me on, in the past on the few occasions I have, they haven't lasted the distance.

I want clientele who need/want me rather then the other way round.

They last the distance (some I've kept for over 2 decades) and payment/cost doesn't become an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd tell you to jog on mate, I think the assumption is pretty rude!
Depends on the tone, I ask in way that its light hearted and cheerful. I never pressure sell, its just a trick (albeit cheap and cheeky) to get my foot in the door and give me time to sell the service, such as the frames, sills and doors, which 90% of Windy's round here don't tend to do.

Back