Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

RO blocked?!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

luca

My tanks don't seem to be filling like usual, I'm not sure what's happening.. or wether I've just got my timings wrong and am being paranoid. I've narrowed it down to my RO unit... can these clog the water up when finished?! I change the filter every 3 months but heard I have to change the expensive one every couple of years... could this be that?! Any tips would be appreciated as it's stressful as no water, no money [emoji85]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a head do alright. I found if in doubt change it dont even contemplate messing on with it. Did this a couple of times was leaving a chalkey residue on glass. Calcium biuld up inside the ro unit. Another time when i changed it there was no visible issues inside the ro and it looked fine but the tds reading was shooting up and down. In all fairness considering how much it is a important part of our kit its not badly priced even if you get a year out of it.

Hope that helps.

Its a head do alright. I found if in doubt change it dont even contemplate messing on with it. Did this a couple of times was leaving a chalkey residue on glass. Calcium biuld up inside the ro unit. Another time when i changed it there was no visible issues inside the ro and it looked fine but the tds reading was shooting up and down. In all fairness considering how much it is a important part of our kit its not badly priced even if you get a year out of it.Hope that helps.
Yeah I agree, worth it just for saving on the stress lol. Did it have the same symptoms when your stopped... pressure going in is same as usual but then by the time it's going IN to the DI vessel it's already dripping same as it does when leaving it... but can't remember if that's normal?!

My water pressure has been all over the place recently, could be a factor?

pics please luca
Hey Kevin... so although I'm now convinced it's running at half or even slower speed I'm not 100% where the issue is, that filters into an 850L tank which then flows into a 650L tank and then I pump into vans. I change the vessel sand regularly and the cheap filter on the RO regularly so stumped...
0333f7d01e52b652f162687c6a9bf033.jpg

aahh thats a merlin unit mate,and one i have no experience of-i would love to help but it would only be a stab in the dark,spuce however has used one of these units and would be of more help,i'm sorry i can't help you with this mate

Wats the ppm coming out of the ro but before thed di b wat is the ppm begire the ro. B
16ppm after the RO. 195ppm before. It's got to be that though as I would expect much purer by that point, infact after the DI is still reading 16ppm (there's extra DI's in vans but can't see them doing that much extra?!) what's your thoughts?

It's time to change the cheaper filter in it but wouldn't have thought that would make the world of difference?!

Thinking about it been making roughly 6500/7000L of pure a week for so long it must of taken its toll, its basically purifying water 24/7.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your producing that much why not go for a 4040. The ro water should be lower ppm saving you a fair bit of residence. I like my merlin but only make 2000l a week so don't get through much resin.

Your readings don't sound too far off what I'd expect. What's your water pressure like? Are you using a booster pump?

If your producing that much why not go for a 4040. The ro water should be lower ppm saving you a fair bit of residence. I like my merlin but only make 2000l a week so don't get through much resin.Your readings don't sound too far off what I'd expect. What's your water pressure like? Are you using a booster pump?

It's worked so well for almost 2 years that I'm hesitant to change systems.. water pressure about 55/65 no booster... it's on all the time so no need for it to filter faster, well, until a couple of days ago. Gonna buy new carbon filter and change resin in DI vessel then change proper filter if nothing changes. (I'll buy it today and have one at the ready) thanks Sam.

The cheap or first filter is a carbon and sediment combo filter.If you have a lot of sediment in the water like we do then that will block the filter and slow the production of water.

My mate has a Merlin and he has fitted an inlet sediment filter before r/o which he changes every month. It helps protect the carbon filter from getting clogged up.

Merlin/PRF RO Carbon Block Pre-Filter - Sediment & Carbon Filters - Water Treatment - Pure Water Systems - All Products Gardiner Pole Systems
Thanks pal I'll check that out and ask them at the shop when I get there... it's never slowed down like this before which makes me think it's the main expensive filter but going to try all other parts first and buy expensive one just in case!! Lucky to get through this week, thank god for the weekend!!

My water pressure has been all over the place recently, could be a factor?
Same. Mine has dropped down to 30psi. I'm hoping my gate valve is knackered though because pressure is low and PPM coming out of RO has gone up to 022 from 012/014

I have a merlin. But I run mine at 100 psi. With a 1 to 1 waste to pure. My tds after ro is 15/20
Really?! My TDS is about same and always run at 60psi... is it 1 to 1 because your water isn't as hard?! Or because you run the psi high?! Interesting... the man said it should be about a 70/30 split waste/pure today I wonder if he meant at normal psi without booster?!

Back