Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Employing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Paul Gard

Casual labour

Is possible to take a person on for a small amount of hours a week, without having them on your books, or have those days gone?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Paul Gard what might suit you is looking at local government training schemes. Up in Scotland for example I could tap into one of the many local organisations that are voluntary and aligned with the job centre.

They can essentially offer a young person through a training scheme whereby they keep their job centre money and sometimes are given an extra amount by the provider for going on a training course/placement. They also pay travel costs.

Ethically I would be fine with this as it could later lead to employment and they are learning something useful...where you take it from there would depend on the individual I guess.

It's possible just not legal.

Cash in hand goes on everday....

I'm sure we all know a windy who is cash only and pays a couple of lads the same way.

They will be very happy as a casual cash in hand employee right up to the point they do themselves an injury then straight onto the lawyer to make a claim on your employee liability insurance.

Oh? What? You dont technically have employees so hence you didnt bother with employee liability insurance? Ahhh that's ok then.

Let us know how that works out for you. :thumbsup:

If its only a few hours or irregular work why not look to sub-contract another windie in the area?

There might be someone starting out or building up work that would be willing to pick up some slack or help you out and invoice you.

Still need to be insured but don't have to deal with RTI/PAYE or NIC that complicates taking on employees.

Back