Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Van or No Van

Gleam123

Just a bit curious,

I have a trailer system which I could easily accommodate into my car but am a little wary of looking a bit unprofessional. Would I be better of purchasing a van?:-/

Guest colinvansmith

I started and built myy wholw business using a car and only once i started making decent money did i buy a van thee main thing i'd say is keep your car clean! apart from that most customers usually don't care, however as your business grows you'll want to start taking on coommercial customers (better money) then you will need a van to look professional etc.

col :)

Thanks for the info once again guys. The only reason im considering it to start of is purely because of my age, round here there has always been an influx of window cleaners during the summer (people on summer break from uni) looking to earn a bit on the side and gone by September.

I really dont want to give this impression because this is something im taking deadly seriously and hoping to earn a living from. I have the money to buy a van outright so am leaning a bit more to do this straight off.

Guest STOZ

i used to have a van with a system installed in the back and a trailer system towed by a 4 wheel drive pic up. the van was very good for getting in and out for quick access etc and fuel economy and also having a great roof rack for ladders ir required to gain access to rooves etc. i now only have the trailer and 4 wheel drive system due to loss of work caused by the recession business closing and cut backs, etc. the problem i have noticed is its not as easy to turn round in a small car par and also extra fuel. although more comfortable and i use the pick up for personal use as well, its a nice dive. to save money on fuel i bought a mini /micro trolley which i fill 25 litre containers stored in my pick up. i use this to save on my fuel costs and it has worked very well. also the need for a roof rack to be added to the trailer. its all down to choice i guess, best of luck!

two weeks ago a friend of mine was involved in a serious car crash - car ended up on it's roof, stuck in a tree.

Got me thinking what if that had been me??

In a car there would have been a colossal amount of kit flying everywhere - may consider a van in the future - and if I do get a van then it will absolutely have to have a bulkhead.

The amount of gear in flip fast car there is no chance of it leaving the ground both hope you never have to try it out,A van is always the best option for work but then economics come into it

I used a car for the first 8 years of my business, but 98% of my work was residential, and no customers ever commented, and I always picked up work no problem.

I bought a van and since then have started using WFP and do more work on my own, and I love having a van.

Firstly, it's value won't shoot down as much from general wear and tear from work (cannot believe nobody mentioned this, as spills, scratches and stains will throw your resale value of your car to new lows)

Secondly, bills are seperated for it, and its business owned.

Thirdly, i've picked up alot of work using the van, it does move you up in the professional look category, by some fair whack. Especially for commercial work.

Fourth, because I use it only for work, everything inside stays put, apart from receipts, money, work diary, nothing needs to move to accommodate personal tasks.

I know, you're not totally considering for those reasons, but weigh up EVERY option, weigh up EVERY cost, though I do TOTALLY empathise with you on this one. I started window cleaning from leaving school at 16, and I did have people treat me differently because I looked like a child,(not saying you do but you mentioned your age) some comments were down right rude infact, so I can see how buying a van does give a business a certain mature look, though to really do the trick, buy 5-6 work shirts and 2-3 work trousers, all same make if not all same type, doesn't have to cost much, and by having a uniform your customers will immediately see you in a different light from uni-spring-break cow-boys. How many of them do you see wearing white vests and beach shorts?lol

Guest kars

Thanks for the info once again guys. The only reason im considering it to start of is purely because of my age, round here there has always been an influx of window cleaners during the summer (people on summer break from uni) looking to earn a bit on the side and gone by September.

I really dont want to give this impression because this is something im taking deadly seriously and hoping to earn a living from. I have the money to buy a van outright so am leaning a bit more to do this straight off.

most of my custies couldnt care less. they are mostly more pleased that from now on cobwebs will be brushed away and sills wiped as standard, we will be there regularly and they now have a friendly face to deal with!!! i recon most people out there are more interested in the proof of the pudding rather than the wrapping. i have a Y reg vectra estate and just keep it reasonable looking. (dont look inside tho!!! lol) if you already have a car why dont you try getting advertising on that to start with to save you a bit of money till u are on ur feet. (we are mostly domestic tho) :D

two weeks ago a friend of mine was involved in a serious car crash - car ended up on it's roof, stuck in a tree.

Got me thinking what if that had been me??

In a car there would have been a colossal amount of kit flying everywhere - may consider a van in the future - and if I do get a van then it will absolutely have to have a bulkhead.

blimey thanks for cheering us all up !!! lol :P But ur right it is something to seriously consider. i never thought of any of that. :):):):-/

Thanks for the advice guys,

I will certainly be investing in some kind of uniform as Ken said it does give the whole operation a more professional feel, Ive ended up with a Citreon Picasso which I will be taking to have my logo and number printed on in the next fort***ht.

Aslong as the job is done well I dont think there will be any issues regarding my age or mode of transport I just want to give myself the best chance possible to be able to show people that my age doesnt affect how well I can do the job

Guest window washer

A van will cost a lot more to insure if like me you have never had commercial insurance before.

My 2.5ltr car worth £15k costs me £280 a year but my connect van costs me £140 a month!!!!!

If you are starting out buy what you can afford but think of costs.

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.