Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

ace3 - Starting from scratch - WFP Blog

ace3

Hi all,

I am new to window cleaning and WFP systems but have been lurking for the last month or so and have been able to acquire a wealth of knowledge using the search function etc so thank you very much to all who post on here!

I am a wholetime fire fighter who is looking to venture into WFP window cleaning and create a round based on my time away from my main employment. I have been canvassing for the last week or so and have managed to secure enough business to justify spending a lot of money on all of the necessary equipment.

I intend on using this thread to detail my progress as i go along and also to ask you all questions whenever i am unsure of the best way forward.

My first question is based on water purification. I have tested my water using a TDS meter and the reading was 250ppm which if I’m understanding things correctly, means that i will need to invest in a RO system to bring that number down and then use DI resin in order to bring that number down even further to 000ppm.

I am looking to buy this purification system from pure freedom but am not quite sure if contains everything that I will need.

water purification.jpg

I can see that it has the ro system but what about the di needed to get the water down to 000ppm? Underneath where it says “add on options” it says “10" DI Housing c/w Resin and Bracket +£27.35” is this what I need to tick? Or is di and resin completely different?

Thank you for your help

ace3

I'm new to this aswell and my tds is reading at 280 so will have to go down the route of RO from what I have learned I think you will also need a tank aswel to store the water coming out of that RO and then you fill your barrels or van tank from that one, im sure someone will fill us in as I need to know this info aswell lol

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Welcome to the gang. Been on here for few days now. Every one is great for info and helping hand.

The ro system just means your get more liters of water for your resin I belive.

As I'm getting a backpack system and just using resin as I don't need that much water as I'm a traditional method.

I'm sure someone will help you out soon. All the best

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Hi all,

I am new to window cleaning and WFP systems but have been lurking for the last month or so and have been able to acquire a wealth of knowledge using the search function etc so thank you very much to all who post on here!

I am a wholetime fire fighter who is looking to venture into WFP window cleaning and create a round based on my time away from my main employment. I have been canvassing for the last week or so and have managed to secure enough business to justify spending a lot of money on all of the necessary equipment.

I intend on using this thread to detail my progress as i go along and also to ask you all questions whenever i am unsure of the best way forward.

My first question is based on water purification. I have tested my water using a TDS meter and the reading was 250ppm which if I’m understanding things correctly, means that i will need to invest in a RO system to bring that number down and then use DI resin in order to bring that number down even further to 000ppm.

I am looking to buy this purification system from pure freedom but am not quite sure if contains everything that I will need.

View attachment 14160

I can see that it has the ro system but what about the di needed to get the water down to 000ppm? Underneath where it says “add on options” it says “10" DI Housing c/w Resin and Bracket +£27.35” is this what I need to tick? Or is di and resin completely different?

Thank you for your help

ace3
Yes to the tick in the box. Also you'll need a holding tank for your pure, it isn't a quick thing to make in large quantities, most use a 1000l ibc container

Welcome @ace3!

Some here with similar TDS readings use a water butt in the garden to store and purify rain water to save buying a costly RO set up.

If you have the space at home this might be an alternative option?

Hi guys, I'm the third wholetime Firefighter in this thread eagerly waiting for answers as I'm currently researching ready to make to jump from trad to wfp for my round [emoji3]

Yes to the tick in the box. Also you'll need a holding tank for your pure, it isn't a quick thing to make in large quantities, most use a 1000l ibc container

Welcome @ace3!
Some here with similar TDS readings use a water butt in the garden to store and purify rain water to save buying a costly RO set up.

If you have the space at home this might be an alternative option?
Cheers Clisty and Hawke, i have 2 x 350l water butts in the garden so will use them as storage tanks and also i will fill up 10x 25l containers which i will carry with me in the car. Im going to order the RO and DI system and until i get it up and running i have been offered free pure from a guy on my watch who has a van setup so i can take my time with it.

Hi guys, I'm the third wholetime Firefighter in this thread eagerly waiting for answers as I'm currently researching ready to make to jump from trad to wfp for my round [emoji3]
good luck Gasket!

General Update....

I have now ordered the pure freedom 50L trolley and the clx 27 from gardiners....as soon as they all get delivered ill begin practising on my own house and a couple of friends houses in my area....then ill go and do the houses i have managed to gain through canvassing.

I have quite enjoyed canvassing so far, reading through this forum I have seen quite a few people say it is soul destroying getting all the nos but i have just taken it on the chin and think of it as being 1 house closer to getting a yes as its a numbers game.

One day i didnt get a single yes and about a hour and a half into my door knocking i got told to F off and that i must not be any good at window cleaning as im clearly blind (he had a "we dont buy at the door" card which i hadnt spotted) I just politely apologised and went to the next house!

Im currently writing up generic price up cards so that when i knock and someone isnt in, i dont have to write down a load of info. I have their house number, the price for fronts/all around and the frequency of my cleans (6 weekly) on the card and then half post it through their door so that they have to pick it up. This should save me a lot of time as i want to knock on more houses between the hours of 5-8pm.

good luck all!

Update

Another successful evening of canvassing, £100 worth of customers and a few people who have said that they will ring me tomorrow to arrange me coming to do their windows.

Pole and brush arrived today, PF trolley and water filtration system due to arrive tomorrow, all getting very real now!

Hopefully some help in there for ya then lolGood that your getting this wfp sorted early on btw.
Yeah me too, did you have any problems with your changeover? Glad that you commented on the thread, if I can do what you did I too will be looking for a van setup sometime soon, fingers crossed for deja vu!

Well truth be told I have not converted a lot yet. I have most of what I need but have been very cautious...overly cautious mate!

I have been spending time punting other services and really need to convert to wfp properly yes. I rank high for a lot of local search terms mainly also gutters now, and that's a whole new thing that's kind of taken my eye off the wfp ball haha.

I'm impressed by your start, perfect time to start too..same kind of time I started last year. Nice that you like canvassing or at least it looks that way,will make the next 6 months a whole lot easier.

Well truth be told I have not converted a lot yet. I have most of what I need but have been very cautious...overly cautious mate!
I have been spending time punting other services and really need to convert to wfp properly yes. I rank high for a lot of local search terms mainly also gutters now, and that's a whole new thing that's kind of taken my eye off the wfp ball haha.

I'm impressed by your start, perfect time to start too..same kind of time I started last year. Nice that you like canvassing or at least it looks that way,will make the next 6 months a whole lot easier.
Yes mate I like the canvassing, a few guys at my work paid for their rounds and I'm quite proud of the fact that im going to do this all on my own and each house I take on will be on my own terms. Just under £400 worth of work in a week and a half of canvassing wasn't something I was expecting at all. I was prepared for a lot more nos a lot less yes but I've been pleasantly surprised.

I think canvassing would be a lot more difficult/ stressful if I was in a different situation (e.g. If I was unemployed) but because it's just additional income I approach it with a lot of confidence and maybe even a little bit of stubbornness.

I won't do ladders, wont budge on price and know that I'll bin them if I even get a whiff of them being a messer.

There's a thread on here I can't remember which one exactly but it discusses a "poverty mentality" and how to avoid it. Making sure you don't feel guilty about asking for work, making sure you don't undercharge and end up resenting jobs,making sure you appear confident even if you are in fact faking it until you make it. That video comes to my mind every time I go out canvassing and allows me to smile back at someone and stand my ground when they say,"how much?! I used to get them done for £15" etc etc.

That being said I know next to nothing about window cleaning and am more than willing to accept feedback from customers as it's something I want to get really proficient at, I guess I will just have to find the happy medium of providing a solid service but not being a push over.

Good luck with the WFP changeover, and well done with the online ratings, I know from your previous threads how important Facebook, your website etc is for you but it's not something I have paid much attention to. After I've burned enough rubber I will switch my attention to them things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes mate I like the canvassing, a few guys at my work paid for their rounds and I'm quite proud of the fact that im going to do this all on my own and each house I take on will be on my own terms. Just under £400 worth of work in a week and a half of canvassing wasn't something I was expecting at all. I was prepared for a lot more nos a lot less yes but I've been pleasantly surprised.
I think canvassing would be a lot more difficult/ stressful if I was in a different situation (e.g. If I was unemployed) but because it's just additional income I approach it with a lot of confidence and maybe even a little bit of stubbornness.

I won't do ladders, wont budge on price and know that I'll bin them if I even get a whiff of them being a messer.

There's a thread on here I can't remember which one exactly but it discusses a "poverty mentality" and how to avoid it. Making sure you don't feel guilty about asking for work, making sure you don't undercharge and end up resenting jobs,making sure you appear confident even if you are in fact faking it until you make it. That video comes to my mind every time I go out canvassing and allows me to smile back at someone and stand my ground when they say,"how much?! I used to get them done for £15" etc etc.

That being said I know next to nothing about window cleaning and am more than willing to accept feedback from customers as it's something I want to get really proficient at, I guess I will just have to find the happy medium of providing a solid service but not being a push over.

Good luck with the WFP changeover, and well done with the online ratings, I know from your previous threads how important Facebook, your website etc is for you but it's not something I have paid much attention to. After I've burned enough rubber I will switch my attention to them things.
Being willing to walk away is the strongest tool you'll have when canvassing. On several occasions I've gone to walk off and people have then said OK.turn out to be my best custys as they know you won't take any ****.

Well said and I think @Tuffers is of the same opinion about buying work. More pride knowing you built this baby kind of thing.

Your off to a flier and fb and websites will be of use to ya down the line @ace3 but with you enjoying what you are doing the way you are I'd suggest just keeping at this the exact way you are.

If you add fb and website stuff to a fast evolving round (plus your new to the game), it could get a wee bit overwhelming at this time of year I reckon.

Update,

Set up the ro + di system today and have managed so far to create a staggering 25l of pure water*

*pf didn't send me the tds meter so I don't know if I've managed 000ppm yet. I'm going to bring the container into work as a guy from my watch has one.

I was going to begin on Wednesday and do a few houses but unfortunately a strut on my car boot pinged off and I need to get it replaced.....currently my car boot won't stay open unless I hold it with one hand, I've tried and it was near impossible to get the trolley in and out the way it is so I'll have to go to a dealer before my first night shift and get the fitting and then a separate shop who fit gas struts.....not a great start but never mind.

Managed to get my first £40 house on Saturday and drove past an area where I will canvass methodically and quote £50 all around.....will see how I get on.

I'd prefer a lower quantity personally and bigger houses, especially when I realised how heavy the trolley was even without the containers.....I'm under no illusions that these nice areas will probably have a windy already but hopefully there are little gaps here and there.

@ace3 check the recently sold list per street there and target the most recently sold I think is a plan. You have time to chap where as I would letter now..you'll get better results from at the door I think.

@ace3 check the recently sold list per street there and target the most recently sold I think is a plan. You have time to chap where as I would letter now..you'll get better results from at the door I think.
hey mate how exactly do i go about doing that?

Ive had a nightmare week with my car, getting the part for the strut has been a real ball ache! I am back at work on tuesday and hoping that with all of the equipment we have at station i can make a diy fixing that will work! Hoping to get some houses done on thursday before night shift and then get back to knocking on doors.

Ive practised a few times on the windows at my house and things look good, ive also sorted out pure water production and am creating water at 000ppm so at least ive made progress in that sense.

Latest Posts

Back