Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

No success canvassing

L

Liam2302

Saving up for my wfp equipment and it's going slow

So today with some trad gear and no ladder I must of knocked on about 100 bungalows, to no success never got one customer did from 10-4.30

I know my approach is right as I used to trad a few years ago and gained a few customers like this but in a different area (Hastings) now I moved to London it seems a lot harder to get customers..

I'm going to wait until Tuesday and try again

I know with a roof rack and ladder I won't be limited to bungalows but saving up for backpack, pole, tank, RO and di vessel and resin on a very tight budget I don't want to spend out on stuff I won't be needing when I'm wfp as I plan to get a van after I get enough money as cars in its way out anyway and I don't want to use ladders (my legs shake like mad when I'm up then)

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I can get a ladder off my father in law, but the last time I went up one I couldn't stop my legs shaking even though I'm not really scared of heights lol..

Plus my car isn't registered for business use yet with the insurer as I was hoping to do that when I'm up and running.. and with the backbox gone and the car rattleing plus having a ladder on the top I just don't want to get a pull with all that on board lol

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I would say If i ever turned wfp all Day i would still have ladders on the rack . Its like an advert , cos people know what ladders mean , windowcleaner ! :cool:

You'll get used to the ladder the more you are up it, then one day you shall get too confident...have a close call and find a happy medium lol

To be honest mate if your gonna be successful in this game you need to get a ladder and get up it an conquer that fear. Even if eventually you are 100% wfp you will need a ladder sometimes. For those awkward ones over a huge flat roof where you need to go up to get the pole to it or when there's something on glass that won't shift with pole. Also you are gonna be asked to do gutters so rule yourself out of that earner unless you get a gutter vac. Sounds harsh mate I know but without a ladder its gonna be over before you get started

Think everyone is missing the point. Knocking 100 bungalows, no interest but your technique is right?

Call me old fashioned (and a bit p*ssed) but how do you know your approach is correct just because you picked up a few in Hastings?

Good luck to you Liam, have you considered using canvassers or buying a small round and growing it?

Hi I have been in a few sales jobs in the passed and learned a bit plus I studied Jordan Belfont and watched a lot of his training videos.. maybe I might not be but found that the techniques worked before..

Yeah I can make excuses etc when really I should just get myself out there

Tuesday I will borrow the ladder and just conquer it and try and start building a round.

I have heard canvassing company's are good but the only thing I have is what I do myself as the budget isn't there..

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Some areas are saturated with cleaners and unless you are uniformed home owners maybe a bit apprehensive to take you on more so the older generation who may feel less secure.

@Liam2302 interestingly at the end of the wolf of wall street (Jordan Belmont story) when he's asking them to all 'sell me this pen...every one of them talks about it's style,function and just how amazing it is!

All he wants is for them to put it back on him, ie well sir what would you be using the pen for or what type or pens suit you...and take the sales pitch from there.

There is a point in here I am trying to make but it's too early to figure out which lol

Some days are like that. I remember when I used to knock for work there were good days and bad days. It's just a numbers game, the more you knock, the more you'll get!

On the insurance front, the extra cost of business use is minimal, sometimes nothing even. If you get pulled without it then you're up for driving with no insurance and in for a whole lot of trouble. It's the same with public liability, dong even think about not having it!

Keep knocking and eventually it will work..how long that will.be I'd anyone's guess, weeks months or years.

If you are wfp you need never touch a ladder if you don't want to. All residential wfp can be done from the ground and if it can't then you don't do it.

They are useful for conny roofs or low level bungalow gutters which is all mine are used for I've never used them at full height to do upstairs windows and there's not a chance in he'll you would get me up doing house gutters on them lol.

I do at least 2 or 3 gutters a week on them,with a stay bar ladder m8 etc...safe as houses. Less than an hour each and an easy 45 quid here.

I honestly think you need to have both within your arsenal or your business is limited to what you can take on...houses with flat roofs and windows above are out of the question for example.

@Liam2302 interestingly at the end of the wolf of wall street (Jordan Belmont story) when he's asking them to all 'sell me this pen...every one of them talks about it's style,function and just how amazing it is!
All he wants is for them to put it back on him, ie well sir what would you be using the pen for or what type or pens suit you...and take the sales pitch from there.

There is a point in here I am trying to make but it's too early to figure out which lol
It's early on in the movie when he's talking his mates into going in with him. Only one that doesn't is the drug dealer.

However when he hands the drug dealer the pen the dealer says 'sign here' but Belmont no longer has a pen -- demand and supply is the lesson to hand.

@Green Pro Clean Ltd I remember!

At the very end the pen selling exercises itself is on...Jordan later spoke about this in real life as an example of salesmen focusing on what they can provide rather than what the customer wants. He used the pen exercise with all new salesmen to see if they understood the bigger picture

It's funny people mention flat roofs but I can't remember a house that I couldn't get to all the windows on, I have a few that are a real stretch at some crazy angles but somehow I've managed just about everything with 22ft pole. Maybe a couple of time max I've come across a house that's too tall or has a flat roof. Its never been an issue to me and to be honest If I did come across one I wouldn't be too bothered about saying no can't do that one there's other work out there after all.

I do at least 2 or 3 gutters a week on them,with a stay bar ladder m8 etc...safe as houses. Less than an hour each and an easy 45 quid here.
I honestly think you need to have both within your arsenal or your business is limited to what you can take on...houses with flat roofs and windows above are out of the question for example.

I hardly ever get asked for add on work from regulars be in connys or gutters etc I do very little. Once or twice a month I'll get an add on job from regulars. I get the odd one from my website but again only one a month maybe if I'm lucky. I do get a fair bit of car valeting work though. Trouble is phone usually goes mad when I'm already stacked out them nothing when I've got time to fit it in

@adamangler all that info of what I do is on clean tickets and business page and web..regulars come via the ticket the rest through boosted status google my business or web mate

Latest Posts

Back