Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

HMRC class 2 contributions deadline date

WCF

Help Support WCF:

They collect it with your annual tax return, deadline 31st January each year.

That's what they did with mine last tax year 2015/6. Previously it was collect by Direct Debit every month.

Last edited by a moderator:
i didnt set it up dd when it changed, it used to take it monthly but stopped last year , i never updated my dd, ill have to re set it up to DD monthly again. paid in full last year,

thanks.

i didnt set it up dd when it changed, it used to take it monthly but stopped last year , i never updated my dd, ill have to re set it up to DD monthly again. paid in full last year,thanks.
I've never paid by DD but it is now included in your January self assessment bill. Check your records and your last SA302 calculation. You should have already paid it with the collected tax.

i dont pay vat yet, still under the fresh hold
Most of us single operator windies aren't VAT registered. But we still have to fill out a tax return every year to the Receiver of Revenue so they can access how much tax we owe for that tax year. They now add your class 2 National Insurance to your tax bill.

So instead of paying it to them every month by direct debit like they used to for me, they now take it in a lump sum with your Self Assessment tax return.

Lets use an example.

This current year 2017/8 your NI class 2 payments will be £2.85 per week. Under the old scheme they would have taken that by direct debit (with me anyway) at the beginning of the month - £12.35.

But now they take the full £148.20 along with the amount of tax you owe in one lump sum. (My son paid his at the Post Office every month. He went down there and stood in a queue every month. I could never understand why he didn't set up a direct debit. Anyway my Direct Debit is no longer valid due to the tax changes.)

So if you owed £200 for tax you would now have to send £348.20 to the Receiver before the 31st January deadline. If you do you tax return online as I do, they automatically calculate you class 2 payments into your return.

If you earn less than £6025 a year after expenses, then you won't pay NI at all. If you earn over £8164 after expenses then your pay Class 4 NI and your payments are calculated on a % of your earnings. (9% on profits between £8,164 and £45,000, 2% on profits over £45,000.)

Now can you see why the Minister of Finance wanted to move every self employed person into the class 4 NI category in his Spring budget?

Last edited by a moderator:
i just log in and send my self asssment in, fill details + takings etc, expenses deducted, then i have a demand for my yearly class 2,

im going to set up a quarterly DD. AFTER THIS YEAR. im creeping upto the freshhold but not yet, like taxi drivers only we know how much we earn.

Back