Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Thinking of starting up my own round advice

kyle wilson

I was a roofer but just got fed up of working for someone else so where I'm used to being up ladders thought I might give window cleaning a go think it would be real idea and see where it takes me I'm only 22 but want work for myself. Haven't got a clue on pricing or anything in all honesty any tips or advice anyone could give me would be much appreciated

Thanks

Kyle

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Welcome Kyle.

Instead of waiting for the information to come to you may I suggest you type 'starting a round' in the search bar at the top of the page? This will return a shed load of results for you to browse as this matter has been covered so many times before.

A great place to start. Good luck.

Every body seams to want to get in to window cleaning these days and areas are getting saturated.
If your a roofer why not set up your own roofing business?
Yeah you're right. Guess the only devent thing for you to do is jack it in @Cghwindowcleaning , dish your client list out to other local windies and go get a job stacking shelves or something.

Afterall if you're feeling the squeeze then perhaps you should jump now before you're round is worthless mate.

Every body seams to want to get in to window cleaning these days and areas are getting saturated.
It's a lot more of an investment and with bigger company's taking over who's really gonna give a 22 year old just started up a job over an established company who have been around for years

Welcome and good luck with the new venture, unless of course you're based in London then my professional advice is - stick to roofing, far easier and better paid. [emoji6]
Thank you mate and Na I'm in Kent but where I live down in the country lanes I've never seen a window cleaner down my road in 12 years so thought I pretty much saw a gap as it were in the market don't think a lot of window cleaners think about the country lanes and everyone needs there Windows done don't they and thanks mate

Not really the point I'm tryingto make green.

If I was a roofer,bricklayer,painter spark etc working for Someone and that was my trade then why not set up a business in what I was trained and good at.

A lot of people read these forums and posts like yours saying about your £600 days and your £48 first cleans and think that sounds easy I'll give window cleaning a bash.

But in reality it isn't any one can get a bit of work but it isn't as easy building a good business.

Hi and welcome to the forum! The sky is the limit,, Go for it!!!! And good luck and remember there's plenty of excellent threads on here that will just about answer all your questions! And if yer stuck just fire a thread up and I'm sure we can all try and help you out! :thumbsup:

Hi.

I am having trouble working out the best van setup to for

Happy to invest some savings into setting up correctly

Looking to do domestic only at this stage

3 storey town houses as a max

But even watching YouTube videos etc, can't work out a "go to" place to get set up

I have done traditional in the past and can canvass. It's just so confusing now working out what gear to buy?

All help genuinely appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Kyle welcome to the forum mate and if you want to go for window cleaning go for it. If you are prepared to work hard and put the hours in canvassing/ leafleting /posting on facebook etc there is no limit to what you can do.

I totally disagree with comments about saturation it's rubbish and only people I think that worry about this are doing something wrong. I am a year in to window cleaning and it's grown quicker than I could have dreamt. I started in my Corsa then quickly to a combo van and on Thursday picking up my renault traffic with a system going in next week. A year ago I was same as you so go for it. BUT BUT BUT BUT remember the work won't come to you and nobody will do anything for you so work hard be polite do a good job, learn from mistakes and don't be disheartened when you have a rubbish day and you won't look back good luck mate

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum. If there is a saturation it's of summer odd job window cleaners and cowboys...set yourself apart from the start and you sir shall reap the rewards.

Enjoy the ride :cool:

Kyle welcome to the forum mate and if you want to go for window cleaning go for it. If you are prepared to work hard and put the hours in canvassing/ leafleting /posting on facebook etc there is no limit to what you can do.
I totally disagree with comments about saturation it's rubbish and only people I think that worry about this are doing something wrong. I am a year in to window cleaning and it's grown quicker than I could have dreamt. I started in my Corsa then quickly to a combo van and on Thursday picking up my renault traffic with a system going in next week. A year ago I was same as you so go for it. BUT BUT BUT BUT remember the work won't come to you and nobody will do anything for you so work hard be polite do a good job, learn from mistakes and don't be disheartened when you have a rubbish day and you won't look back good luck mate

I dont think saturtation is rubbish, i think you can be lucky to be in an area that has less competition or unlucky to live in an area that has a lot of cheap shiners.

BUT its still possible to build a round anywhere in the country, at least as a one man band..I mean lets say an average windy wants 300 monthly houses, there are 132, 000 houses in my city.

Somehow my comment seems to have been taken out of context or not how it was Ment to come across and you and Green seem to think I'm struggling or about to chuck it all in.The fact is l'm not exactly old but I've been at this 20 years I' m commercial only and I have some nice work on the books if your interested you can view a small selection of what I do on my social media accounts.

Over the years I have seen are industry change dramatically and if I'm honest mostly for the better but I try to be honest For me personally and in my area I'm starting to see a lot of shiners all going for the same work lets not forget we are a supply and demand service industry.

My point I was trying to make is no sucsefull business comes easy the poster here chose window cleaning because he assumes it will be cheaper and easier than any other.

Now my post probably wasn't the most helpful and if your serious go for it Kyle with hard work and time along with advice on here and the net you won't go wrong and as your miles away from me if you want to ask me any questions feel free to email or call me and I will do my best to point you in the right direction.

All the best

Craig

I was a roofer but just got fed up of working for someone else so where I'm used to being up ladders thought I might give window cleaning a go think it would be real idea and see where it takes me I'm only 22 but want work for myself. Haven't got a clue on pricing or anything in all honesty any tips or advice anyone could give me would be much appreciated Thanks

Kyle

Go for it mate, I started last October wfp, just weekends as had full-time job, went full-time on the windows in January and haven't looked back since

As already mentioned you got to get out there knock the doors it's really is the best way to get started, I still have to knock but not as much, work finds me through online presence and word of mouth now, my round it growing everyday, so to use greens saying Happy days lol

Pricing jobs is a learning curve, I still underprice sometimes, but you start to know how long jobs will take, so you become better informed for your pricing.

Any questions please ask mate, I ain't as knowledgeable as some of the guys on here

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember back in the day when so called self cleaning glass was mainstream I knew a few windies back then that thought it was all over for them,, :laugh:

Latest Posts

Back