Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiner backpack stopped working??!!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Calvin

Hi. Gardiner backpack has just quit on me today. Was working fine when last used. Charged overnight but at first job today switch on and nothing?? Fuse seems fine. Took bottom panel off, all wires still connected. Any ideas?? Could it be the actual switch mechanism?? Anyone experienced similar?? Thanks.

Hi. Gardiner backpack has just quit on me today. Was working fine when last used. Charged overnight but at first job today switch on and nothing?? Fuse seems fine. Took bottom panel off, all wires still connected. Any ideas?? Could it be the actual switch mechanism?? Anyone experienced similar?? Thanks.
@Alex Gardiner might be along to help soon.

A few questions to help diagnose:

With the backpack switched on what does the voltmeter show?

Plug the backpack into the charger, switch the charger on and then switch the backpack on - does it now work?

When you had the bottom panel off did you remove the 4 screws on the battery tray, slide the battery out and look for broken connections above the battery?

Mine stopped working once, turned out it was the flow control had packed up, just wired it out so never had a problem since and control flow with tap

A few questions to help diagnose:
With the backpack switched on what does the voltmeter show?

Plug the backpack into the charger, switch the charger on and then switch the backpack on - does it now work?

When you had the bottom panel off did you remove the 4 screws on the battery tray, slide the battery out and look for broken connections above the battery?
Hi Alex. Voltmeter shows nothing when switched on. No lights even. Plugged it into charger with charger on, still nothing. I removed the 4 screws earlier and took battery out. Connections to top of battery look fine. Recently noticed on position 1 on switch it didn't always work so had been using it on position 2(full flow) for last few weeks. Could it be flow controller as pointed out by someone else? Sorry for late reply. Had to do a days trad. Thought I wouldn't be done till midnight!! How I did trad for 14 bloody years I'll never know! Cheers for any help.

Mine stopped working once, turned out it was the flow control had packed up, just wired it out so never had a problem since and control flow with tap
Thanks. I reckon it could be that. Position 1 where you can control flow had been temperamental lately so had just been using full flow.

What lights come on when you are charging it? Is it the latest model?

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums
Yes. V3 I think it is?! The red light came on last night to say it was charging. Gone green now so fully charged. Still green when plugged in.

Hi Alex. Voltmeter shows nothing when switched on. No lights even. Plugged it into charger with charger on, still nothing. I removed the 4 screws earlier and took battery out. Connections to top of battery look fine. Recently noticed on position 1 on switch it didn't always work so had been using it on position 2(full flow) for last few weeks. Could it be flow controller as pointed out by someone else? Sorry for late reply. Had to do a days trad. Thought I wouldn't be done till midnight!! How I did trad for 14 bloody years I'll never know! Cheers for any help.
In that case it is probably the On/Off switch that has broken.

If you give our Customer Service team a call on 01726 66400 or email them on [email protected] they can arrange to sort this out under warranty for you (if it is under 12 months old) ::):

Last edited by a moderator:
In that case it is probably the On/Off switch that has broken.
If you give our Customer Service team a call on 01726 66400 or email them on [email protected] they can arrange to sort this out under warranty for you (if it is under 12 months old) ::):
Unfortunately it's 18 months old Can I buy and fit a new switch from you though??

I had a similar problem last year heard a pop then only worked when switched to full flow .Replaced flow controller from gardiners still no joy so tried a new switch still the same . Gave up and brought a new backpack .What I did find was the wiring is very bad wires too short so nipped by battery also I believe my problem is still with the flow controller just that the new one the wire colours don't match with old one .Have since brought another controller from DA components as they give you instructions as to which wire goes where . Not fitted it yet as new backpack still working .

Back