Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

No water nightmare

Brandon

Since I've been wfp I've just harvested rainwater and ran it straight through DI no problem. That worked for me however recently work has picked up enough that I'm running out of water. Before you ask, no my customers don't have rainwater butts that I could practically use.

There are no pure suppliers near me.

So I've come to the conclusion I need an RO.

We have no outside tap and can't leave a window open for security reasons.

I'm at a total loss.

Have any of you ran into a similar situation to mine? Do you rent somewhere or ask someone you know?

Any help would be much appreciated as I'm worried I'll run out soon!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@Brandon do you have any good customers that as a short term may let you use their outdoor tap?
Well that's what I'm confused about. Probably getting my wires crossed here but RO's take a while to produce pure do they not so I would need to park it there and let it fill up?

And they also have a waste to pure ratio so can't have it in the van and produce from the tank can I? Where would the waste go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried double di vessel route . What's your tap tds? . What size of tank do you hold rainwater in?
My TDS is about 250.

1000L ibc.

What would you advise?

Most plumbers can put an outside tap in for under £100 these days. If you have a hut, garage at home set up an RO system, I think this will be your best option. As the more your business grows so will your pure demand :thumbsup:

You could go down the two di route in the short term ,(you will will need2x 11 litre di vessels ) to get your work done .

Long term if you can only use rainwater, then you might have to think big and get a bigger tank to hold the water before you use it .

You are not storing enough because we are in a dry spell of weather.

Since I've been wfp I've just harvested rainwater and ran it straight through DI no problem. That worked for me however recently work has picked up enough that I'm running out of water. Before you ask, no my customers don't have rainwater butts that I could practically use.There are no pure suppliers near me.

So I've come to the conclusion I need an RO.

We have no outside tap and can't leave a window open for security reasons.

I'm at a total loss.

Have any of you ran into a similar situation to mine? Do you rent somewhere or ask someone you know?

Any help would be much appreciated as I'm worried I'll run out soon!

You must be storing harvested rain water so you must have space to add an r/o to the storage tank.

When we first moved into our house we didn't have an outside tap either. I fitted one by taking a supply from the cold water supply to the bath. (We have a dormer with a downstairs bathroom and toilet.) My first r/o was a RoMan 275LPD which was positioned at the back door near the tap. The waste went to the bathroom drain. During the freezing winters the r/o was inside on the kitchen sink. As it used to work all night there was no problem with the membranes freezing up.

Since then I joined a feed from the pipe to the downstairs toilet into the garage which share a wall. The r/o is now in a cabinet on the garage wall inside that is heated by a tube heater which keeps the temperature inside the cabinet at 8 degrees.

There is an example of one of the members on this forum who made a wooden insulated cabinet to fit on an outside wall on his house. Its on YouTube somewhere.

99.9% of outside taps are taken from the supply of cold water in the kitchen. The washing machine will have a supply as will the dishwasher and the cold water tap to the sink.

Grippatank supply a cabinet that I'm sure could also be adapted to fit on an outside wall with an r/o inside. They heat this with a 12 volt system, but I'm sure they will sell you an 'empty' cabinet which you can fir a tube heater and froststat to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fitted my outside tap also you can get a full kit out of homebase or b&q. I drilled a hole right behind our washing machine in the wall and connected a y connector to the pipe so that the washing machine and tap could be connected to the same pipe it didn't take me very long to do or you can get someone to fit it for you I'm in northern ireland and they charge 50 quid all together and they supply the tap aswell. now I just run a garden hose straight to my ro and usually get 350 litres of pure in 8 hours. Hope this helps

surely you can get an outside tap in. its not a big job and not expensive! and would be well worth it. the 1st day working will cover the costs..

See my cheap insulated RO set up this is just outside my back door, I have no heating just insulated the inside of cabinet and in the winter insulated the outside also.

IMG_0298.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0312.JPG

surely you can get an outside tap in. its not a big job and not expensive! and would be well worth it. the 1st day working will cover the costs..
Surely but alas....no I can't. Listed building.

Would have done it otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try ettore brass / unger channels. Both are great to get your technique right. I still use both and the excelerater. Use under hard rubber aswell

Don't even get me started on that mate [emoji23]Been having serious issues with lines and rubber pulling out of clips on my liquidator 2.0![emoji58]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

When I got my excelerater it was **** so I dipped the plastic ends in hot water for 30 seconds, then I straightened the ends so there were in line with the channel, works a treat now .

When I got my excelerater it was **** so I dipped the plastic ends in hot water for 30 seconds, then I straightened the ends so there were in line with the channel, works a treat now .
Already tried that, tried paper clips too. Nothing seems to work

Back