Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Fascias & Soffits

A

Alec

Yesterday I cleaned a customers Fascias & soffits & to be fair though I got rid of the grime they still looked dirty. I used Unger soap & brushed like mad & these were not going to sparkle. I've never had an issue before. I told her that they have obviously lost there glaze & as such have discoloured. What do you guys think? Have you come across this? Would you have got your ladders out & scrubbed with something..

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Yesterday I cleaned a customers Fascias & soffits & to be fair though I got rid of the grime they still looked dirty. I used Unger soap & brushed like mad & these were not going to sparkle. I've never had an issue before. I told her that they have obviously lost there glaze & as such have discoloured. What do you guys think? Have you come across this? Would you have got your ladders out & scrubbed with something..

Had length of gutter before that had stained pretty badly, tried everything I had on me: No Nonsense Heavy Duty Degreaser, Magic Sponges, Cif Cream Cleaner, Unger Rub Out.....nothing would budge it. Told customer that I'd tried everything I had but it won't come off so it's just stained like that through age. Luckily customer was understanding but it is annoying when you can't clean something to high standard.

Perhaps a weak hypo mix could work? Have never used it myself but heard a few guys on her say they've used it with good results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very disappointing, I use hypo but can't see it changing it to glossy white lol. She was expecting it to be as new mate. The back came up ok, but she moaned about that so I thought of the back ain't good enough I'm never going to get the front good enough. The sun obviously sets at the front so has obviously over the many years discoloured it. £70 for gutters & Fascias front & back. I was practically doing the fascias for nowt as she knocked me down from £90 to £70. Told her keep it in the end. I even offered to get my ladders out & have a scrub with t-cut to see if that makes a dif but then that would cost more.. Nothing was good enough.. The clue was in the colour of her hair I thinks (ginger)

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I have found that the better the quality of PVC, the better it will clean. Cheap, poor quality PVC is difficult to clean, is more likely to be permanently discolored and is less likely to shine nicely afterwards. Though the customer won't like it if you tell them that. It sounds like you are blaming their cheap PVC on your poor quality workmanship.

Plastics will go flat overtime due to degrading and the dirt, grime and weather will take its toll over the years, I noticed today some of my customers have had someone else clean their F.S.G and the plastic looked flat with no shine, But I have cleaned houses of a similar age 17 years by the same house builder in a different time town and they have come up shiny bright .

Got one to do in 3-4 weeks on the estate I was window cleaning on today so will see how they come, But I always tell customers they will come up really well but when they haven't been cleaned in over 6 years or more I can't guaruntee they will come up like new as their will staining etc that just won't shift due to the age of the pvc and the dirt,grime etc taking it's toll.

I install FSG for a living as well as Upvc cleaning etc. I only use swish Upvc products but there are a lot cheaper materials out there. Due to uv damage these cheaper fascia boards lose there gloss finish over time and nothing will get the shine back. (You can't polish a terd) next time maybe do a small test patch that way you can manage exspectation. But I know it can be frustrating one customer just thinks you have done a poor job when you have done everything in your power to get them clean.

Back