Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Submersible pump advice

Adams0211

I'll be moving house in the next month or so and need to give some thought to how best to transfer my pure from my IBC to my van.

My current set up is RO and DI in a storage cupboard next to my outside tap at the front of my house which fills the IBC on my drive. I have a submersible pump which transfers the water a few feet to my van which is parked on the drive.

The new house is going to be a bit harder. The RO will go in the shed at the top of the garden but I need to transfer the water from the IBC to my van over a greater distance and along a quiet public alleyway. The closest I can get my van to the IBC is approx 15m.

Is it just a case of getting a more powerful submersible pump?

Also, I currently use a transfer hose similar to the one in the picture below. That works fine over a short distance but I think it will be harder to manage over a longer distance as it doesn't lay flat.

Is there a different type of hose you'd recommend? Or maybe a fitting to use a regular garden hose if that's possible?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

My uncle uses a submersible pump to empty his hot tub. It's about 15 metres in length and it fills up like a fireman hose.

My uncle uses a submersible pump to empty his hot tub. It's about 15 metres in length and it fills up like a fireman hose.
Davey boy suggested something similar when we spoke about this the other day. Looks like it might be the way forward.

That hose is fine, however, you will have to straighten it towards your van as it will 'coil' on itself over a long distance.

I too have a long distance between my van and I.b.c tank, but this hose is fine ( only mine is green, lol)

I bought my Sip sub pump from toolstation although they are big so may not be ideal for dropping in a ibc, I use a garden water butt so no issue for me.

As for good durable hose search for flexible pond hose on amazon.co.uk the seller is Spares2go its a bit like the waste hose on the back of a washing machine I have two 32mm 15 metre lengths joined together one half I have had well over 2 years and its never worn or split.

I bought this one the other day looks pretty good and a good deal at 34 quid

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

f8f7ce4c03a807462252f33f193e9429.jpg

044cfe8c71e05c68eb0ad55c93102a8c.jpg

Adams 0211 you say your IBC is at the 'top' of your garden.  If that means it is higher than your van on the drive then water will flow easily from IBC to van without the need for a submersible pump.  The important bit is having a hose of big enough diameter to allow water to flow quickly.  Garden hose will not be ideal as it is only 1/2" i.d., you really need at least 1 1/2" diameter.

Adams 0211 you say your IBC is at the 'top' of your garden.  If that means it is higher than your van on the drive then water will flow easily from IBC to van without the need for a submersible pump.  The important bit is having a hose of big enough diameter to allow water to flow quickly.  Garden hose will not be ideal as it is only 1/2" i.d., you really need at least 1 1/2" diameter.
Even if the ibc tank is higher than the delivery tank, it will take ages compared to using a bilge pump. 

Considering you'll be using it nearly every day, for the sake of around £50, it's not worth the hassle I.m.o

I've struggled with this issue also as I can only park 30m away from my IBC. Tried fire hose style lay flat but it kept kinking around corners. Tried clear reinforced PVC 1.5" but so stiff it curled and looped and it's going over a shared access and down a public pavement so didn't want to invite trip suits. I just use yellow 1/2" hose now as it sits neatly out of the way along the pavement in use and isn't a swine to coil/store like the others. Only problem is it takes an hour and a half to fill up! No matter the power of the pump, hose size is the main factor.

Back