Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

A little something from the weekend.

Them tiles are looking a bit bleached [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

That would be impressive @Alec considering not a drop of hypo / any other bleach based product was used.

That is how all 60 - 70 year old concrete tiles look once cleaned properly.

Very beige.

The process was power wash to remove grime then bio coating for protection.

Also your reaction is a good example of opinions and taste. The home owner was stoked.

If you look closely front center you can see a rather pinkish spot. That's all that remains of the initial pigmentation coating that was on there 60 odd years back.

We could do a recoat foe the client but would add £1200 to the bill and tye coating only has a 5 year guarantee.

So with the bio coating will the colour not go more beige. It certainly stands out mate & you certainly know your stuff.. Have you seen that wet & forget product?

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Last edited:
Have you seen that wet & forget product?
Yep has it's place on light algae even marginaly patchy moss.

To kill the moss and mold effectively using that on this job would increase the cost by around £200 to use an amount suitable to work effectively.

It wont go lighter with bio as it's not a bleach. Nor does it have any bleaching quality.

Surely 1200 would buy you a roof of new tiles
A re-roof (which is where they remove all your tiles - shuffle them about and put them back) cost about £5k on a roof like that.

Typical prices for new roofs around here are £80 - £100 per sqm.

If you can get a new roof for £1200 then fair play to you. Please give me the guys number as I will have him do all our work and just put a commision on top for myself. :thumbsup:

Surely 1200 would buy you a roof of new tiles
Having re-read that I think I see what you're saying. But then you need to remove all the exisiting ones, make sure all membranes, joists etc are in good order and then haul all the new ones up there and fit them PLUS dispose of all the olds afterwards.

Way too much work for me but I agree you probably can get a pallet of decent tiles for £1200.

That would be impressive @Alec considering not a drop of hypo / any other bleach based product was used.

Very beige.

Also your reaction is a good example of opinions and taste. The home owner was stoked.

If you look closely front center you can see a rather pinkish spot. That's all that remains of the initial pigmentation coating that was on there 60 odd years back.

We could do a recoat foe the client but would add £1200 to the bill and tye coating only has a 5 year guarantee.

Thought you wasn't a fan of pressure washing roofs as can cause more damage then it solves ? Just a question as I currently only offer softwash but can sometimes see a place for pressure washing it

Only Pikeys go on roofs where I live with pressure washers! I will pass on jobs like that to my travelling friends, no way I'm getting tarred with the same brush! If it's thick with moss I will pass on it!!

Fair play if you earn good money and if the client is happy then it's all good.

Personally i like the look of a bit of moss in a roof (obviously if it starts blocking gutters etc then it's an issue)

If it's done purely due to the 'look' then I'd leave it.

The moss adds a bit if character IMO [emoji3]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Very beige.

Mr Green,

Can i ask you how long that particular job took you to complete? , and also what was your reasoning behind choosing the method you used ie; powerwashing and the use of bleach - free chemicals?

Regard's

Robster

Mr Green,Can i ask you how long that particular job took you to complete? , and also what was your reasoning behind choosing the method you used ie; powerwashing and the use of bleach - free chemicals?

Regard's

Robster
The customer was given various options. They chose to have it powerwashed. It was their choice.

Total time on site was 5 hours including an hour for lunch.

What all the neigh-sayers dont bother to investigate is exactly how the job was done - no investigation as to machines / tools used.

All they do is hear some old wives tale and regurgiate the same old toss they heard else where and reiterate it as if it's gospel.

The particular machine used was selected for the task to hand - LPM & PSI of course being the major considerations.

Once the machine was chosen I selected a twin turbo nozzle as this once again halves the LPM to each nozzle.

So in summary many choices considered before the right technique was selected.

A major factor in not using biocides is the home owner has two beautiful Akitas. As all the lads the regurgitate 'just toss some bio on it' know Bio contains amonias, dogs are naturally attracted to it and if there's wet patches or puddles left (and remember bio can 're activate' once re wetted) dogs will lick it and there has been fatal results from this. So biocide was not an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back