Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Scrims

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Tonyboy

Hi guys, just starting out. how many scrims do i need to start with? and, how often should I boil the prewashed scrims? Any help would be really appreciated

Hi guys, just starting out. how many scrims do i need to start with? and, how often should I boil the prewashed scrims? Any help would be really appreciated
My advice would be stay away from pre washed scrims, always too soft and fluffy for my liking. Buy some fishscale microfibres too.

boil scrims for 10 mins in a pan then boil wash. Cut them into 2/4 as they're too big as they come, But you'll need to cut of loose threads for the first few washes. I have 6 scrim and on a trad run they'll easily last a few days. They need tlc to start with but once they done they'll last ages. I bung mine on a 30 min cycle then once a month ill do a 90 wash. Make sure you don't use fabric softener as it'll knacker them. I love using scrim, but it's all personal preference.

There's really no need to use scrims these days. I stopped 30 years ago. Best Egyptian cotton hand towels (50x100cm) cut in half will give you a very good cloth for wiping up and general use, and will last forever.

boil scrims for 10 mins in a pan then boil wash. Cut them into 2/4 as they're too big as they come, But you'll need to cut of loose threads for the first few washes. I have 6 scrim and on a trad run they'll easily last a few days. They need tlc to start with but once they done they'll last ages. I bung mine on a 30 min cycle then once a month ill do a 90 wash. Make sure you don't use fabric softener as it'll knacker them. I love using scrim, but it's all personal preference.
Thanks mate, so six should be plenty for me then. by tlc, you mean lots of boiling to start?

I go only glasscloths ! Just wash by 40 degrees , Maybe 60 . Once in a while i hand one out to a customer as a gift . Especially if the windows is leaking from wfp .

Ditched scrims years ago. Microfibre is what you want.

I've tried the microfibre things from wilko that daveyboy mentions.... and they're ok. But I still prefer scrims!
I'm the same, they last longer, both in use and lifespan, have 1 from my 1st day on the glass

Scrims all day long. Microfiber and fishscales take a too long to dry. 1 or 2 scrims I use a day. Depending if I dry it or not on my lunch. I never reuse the same scrim the next day. I like a nice clean crispy

I will use the same microfibre all week sometimes

Used scrim for years..don't like em

Do you not find fluff stays on the glass? As microfibre is lint free, I think that's the term...

There's really no need to use scrims these days. I stopped 30 years ago. Best Egyptian cotton hand towels (50x100cm) cut in half will give you a very good cloth for wiping up and general use, and will last forever.
Rugbywolf throw up a pic of your egyptians scrims lol are they thick?

Rugbywolf throw up a pic of your egyptians scrims lol are they thick?
They're just good quality hand towels (90 or 100 x 50cm), they range from £2 to £3.50, depending where you get them. Best to get as plain as pos, because the ribbing designs are no use to us.

Back