Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Getting insurance for your van?

slippy

Got a Peugeot Expert and want to get a tank. Aviva are saying it must be bolted down. They also asked the cost of the tank. I said no one would steal it but they still needed to know. Should I just do this or change insurers? Wanted 400 litres. I thought racheted down would mean I could take it out if I used the van for other stuff. I do other work. What should I do? They have recorded my question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't understand this, I start a new insurance with them from may 4th and they didn't ask me whether my tank is bolted down or not :confused:

Maybe I made the mistake of asking if it was bolted down or strapped down. Maybe i should have not been so specific and now the ******** would have recorded this down and i worry if I don't bolt it down I won't be insured. It all seemed a bit weird. The lady had to ask the underwriter then come back to me. Seemed like they just came up with it off the top of their head. I started questioning it and then she said the underwriter had made a note on it. Shall I change insurers or threaten Aviva to do so?

What about all my barrels at the moment racheted down.

Don't understand this, I start a new insurance with them from may 4th and they didn't ask me whether my tank is bolted down or not :confused:
They asked me and then they asked if it was professionally fitted.

What other insurance companies insure tanks?

The thing is I will occasionally have my 2 yr old in van. It would be nice to take tank out if I need the space but I guess bolted down is safer than ratchetin?

My insurance only wanted to know if my tank was baffled

I did say to the young girl on the phone it didn't look confused [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

My insurance only wanted to know if my tank was baffledI did say to the young girl on the phone it didn't look confused [emoji23]

Who u with?

who u with?

Lol on a serious note my insurance was more interested in the baffles as that's what stops the water sloshing around and the van don't bounce up n down at traffic lights

I need a proper frame for my tank

I am with A-Plan had my tank strapped in my L200 for almost 6 years now at the time they were the only one who I could get insurance through.

I am with A-Plan had my tank strapped in my L200 for almost 6 years now at the time they were the only one who I could get insurance through.
Might try them. Just talked to mechanic and he said racheting might be stronger. I could take the tank out as well. Will call Aviva and ask if the racheting is professionally fitted will they insure me.

Another guy at Halfords said having all the water in one place (next to bulk head) wasn't good for suspension. But everyone does that so have to ignore that advice.

When strapping in any load you to prevent any sideways, forward and backward shift also if a flat tank also prevent against upward lift in the event of a accident.
Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
If I do ratchet it in I will need another 4 eyelets in the side if van and possibly 4 to the front and back as tanks don't have things u can slide the straps through. I think 300 - 350 litre flat tanks would be pretty safe with enough eyelet's for ratchets to go through.

When strapping in any load you to prevent any sideways, forward and backward shift also if a flat tank also prevent against upward lift in the event of a accident.
If I do go for a ratchet. Will get a 350 flat tank ( for safety) and get someone to put some extra eyelets on all four sides of tank. A plan will insure me. I really would like to be able to take tank in and out of van. 350 flat would safe enough wouldn't it? I got a bulk head as well.

What do you say to your insurance company? A window cleaning friend said he says as little as possible and only answers their questions. He tells them he's a window cleaner and that's it. For example I made the mistake of asking if I could rachet down my small tank to Aviva and they said it must be factory bolted down. Everyone I know rachets theirs down. It makes sense, so you can take it out easily. Who wants something which requires drilling through the chasis near the fuel tank. Which when there's a problem needs another professional to take it out. My question has now been recorded by Aviva and so will have to change insurers to A Plan or Hastings. I guess if I change back they might have forgotten. But Aviva are good and am not happy about leaving.

With a 350 litre flat tank with a bulk head I don't see a problem in a crash.

Have you not seen videos on crashes at even 30 mph with a water tank in the. Sick just strapped down. I wouldn't risk it for a biscuit at all. Let's put it this way if you was in a head on crash in the morning the last thing I'd worry about is your van insurance but life insurance for your Mrs

Have you not seen videos on crashes at even 30 mph with a water tank in the. Sick just strapped down. I wouldn't risk it for a biscuit at all. Let's put it this way if you was in a head on crash in the morning the last thing I'd worry about is your van insurance but life insurance for your Mrs

got the link?

Lots of windies just rachet them down. It's very common. Do you know of any serious real accidents?

I appreciate what you're saying mind.

got the link?
Lots of windies just rachet them down. It's very common. Do you know of any serious real accidents?

I appreciate what you're saying mind.
You may drive sensible but I know if I don't have the whits about me with other drivers driving like tits I could be on a number of accidents and me personally wouldn't want to take the risk that's all.

You may drive sensible but I know if I don't have the whits about me with other drivers driving like tits I could be on a number of accidents and me personally wouldn't want to take the risk that's all.

If it's just 350 litre and laying 'flat' surely that's safe. Lower centre of gravity. 600 litres standing up yeah a cage would be better.

You can get more loops factory fitted for more ratchets to go through. Those rachets are strong.

If it's just 350 litre and laying 'flat' surely that's safe. Lower centre of gravity. 600 litres standing up yeah a cage would be better.
You can get more loops factory fitted for more ratchets to go through. Those rachets are strong.
I reckon if you looked into it you could get a frame to fit your tank to bolt it to the floor

Last edited:
Back