Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Waste carrier licence gutter clearing?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Eddie dragon

Looking at getting a gutter vacuum as an add on service. Seen a lot of companies advertise they take waste away. 

Had to have license on pond maintenance business. Taking green waste to dump. Small loads guys would let go. Recent trip to dump things are tighter. So how do you dispose of the waste? 

Don't fancy a van full of wet gutter muck mutch to be honest. Got no garden so no compost bin or brown bin.never used it. 

We always use the customers garden waste bin. It's their moss..

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

We got a letter from the Council about 5 or 6 years ago regarding this as we do a bit of work for the council.

We used to take the waste away, but had just come across a customer who challenged that we had actually cleared the gutters we were to asking to be paid for. (We did the job during the day when no one was at home.) I offered to take the ladders off the van so he could go up and confirm they were clear. He refused. He eventually paid us under duress but that was the end of our business relationship.

My son and I then decided that we would take a before and after photograph of each gutter at an angle that would also include other items/landmarks, ie car, potplants driveway etc so if we were ever challenged in future we had evidence that we had done the job. Within a few days we received the Council's letter. So we decided that we would never take the gutter contents away either, but that it would be left in plastic bags next to the dustbin for the customer to dispose of.

I've been asked several times to take the waste away and I have always refused on the basis of the letter. When we do the occasional clear and clean I now tell the customers that they are responsible for the waste from their gutters.

I just pop to the tip after every other clear and drop it off there, 2 jobs doesn't make too much mess. Thinking of getting a hippo skip bag and adding a 5er onto all jobs. Then when its full get them to get rid, cost me about £75, so 15 jobs would cover it. should work out about right, they are big bags

What's the possible earnings of gutter Jobs and what is needed to start? I'v never really considered doing it but Im getting asked alot more if I do it. 

What's the possible earnings of gutter Jobs and what is needed to start? I'v never really considered doing it but Im getting asked alot more if I do it. 
if trad, a bucket of soapy water 2 cloths, a box of nitrile gloves, and empty bucket. I charged 25 in and out a side trad. Go up ladder with bucket and gloves on, clear muck out. Then go up with a wet cloth and a cloth that'd been wrung out and go over to with the wet one, then the damp one to dry any get all the missed bits. Repeat until all clean, it's simple but time consuming. One side used to take 30 mins, takes half that wfp

Do you not use a scoper of some sort? Very hands on approach with the gloves. It all seems simple enough though. Thanks for that.

I didn't think it was an option of getting rid of the moss? It goes in my customers recycling bin. Why would anyone want to bring it home with them  :4_joy:

Back