Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What type of poles and attachment should I buy?

Steve E

Hello all.

I'm a trad window cleaner just starting back after 20 years away (not in prison!) I i am enjoying  my work .good time of year to start!

I have targeted bungalows but realise I need to take on some 1st floor work. I am avoiding ladders for safety reasons. I am a bit bewildered by the options out there.

In a nutshell what is the best value system to enable me to use trad squeegee on a pole to 1st floor level? Is this effective?

I don't want to go down the water fed system route.

Any advice much appreciated.

Hi and welcome

Get on YouTube and search polzn bladz 

The moerman setup he uses is what i use also

Can't go wrong with that

Yip polznbladz YouTube I had the same issue until I got a wagtail makes it so easy to use I don't like the straight pulls and with the wagtail you can fan them perfect I use a liquidator with no need to wipe down

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Hi and welcome

Get on YouTube and search polzn bladz 

The moerman setup he uses is what i use also

Can't go wrong with that

Thanks for that. 2 of you saying the same ..I will check that out.

I ended up using a customers step ladder to clean apex of a sunroom today so need to get on with it.

Much appreciated. 

Yip polznbladz YouTube I had the same issue until I got a wagtail makes it so easy to use I don't like the straight pulls and with the wagtail you can fan them perfect I use a liquidator with no need to wipe down

I started out doing much of the same thing. Using only extension poles, for maybe my first 6 months in business. If you do want to clean windows trad, get a ladder. You will be able to work faster than using trad poles, and if its only 20ft doubles, you wont be up too high. If heights really aren't your thing, and you cant see yourself getting used to, or wanting to work at heights. Then go WFP. You can use a backpack, and a cheap pole, Di filters... and all the other bits you need for under £500. Ladders, roof bars, padlocks, ladders mats, footies, wedges etc would not be too much cheaper. maybe £2/300 all in all.

The main reason, I say that is you want to knock the work out quickly, and trad poles are great for getting to awkward windows, but I would hate to have o use them all day. 

Try the excelerator then

A bit sensitive at first if used to the wagtail but a lot better piece of kit and the pad actually holds enough water for more than 2 windows which the wagtail is poor at

I started out doing much of the same thing. Using only extension poles, for maybe my first 6 months in business. If you do want to clean windows trad, get a ladder. You will be able to work faster than using trad poles, and if its only 20ft doubles, you wont be up too high. If heights really aren't your thing, and you cant see yourself getting used to, or wanting to work at heights. Then go WFP. You can use a backpack, and a cheap pole, Di filters... and all the other bits you need for under £500. Ladders, roof bars, padlocks, ladders mats, footies, wedges etc would not be too much cheaper. maybe £2/300 all in all.

The main reason, I say that is you want to knock the work out quickly, and trad poles are great for getting to awkward windows, but I would hate to have o use them all day. 
I can use a trad pole all day no ladders and love it

I went wfp just to make life easier on some jobs but i still have jobs that are easier and quicker trad pole due to access etc and it is easy once you have practiced for 26 years?

id defiantly go for the exelerator as well, got 1 and use it on a pole for shop fronts, as well as getting the knack on upstairs windows for if my backpack breaks. Don't have the fliq yet, that's the next buy

If you go down the trad pole route you still need ladders to do first cleans. I use a pole system and can't see any way round it. Hopefully someone will come on here and share a way to do them without ladders.

Yes I think your right woody. Did a 1st clean  job the other day where the customer was in and I opened window mechanism up enough to clean the outsides from within the building.. I won't be able to do this  on every job though. I'm leaning towards WFP for upper windows. Im determined not to start using ladders. I'm fine with heights but I'm nearly 51 and reactions aren't what they were! I don't bounce when I hit the ground either!

I can use a trad pole all day no ladders and love it
I went wfp just to make life easier on some jobs but i still have jobs that are easier and quicker trad pole due to access etc and it is easy once you have practiced for 26 years[emoji23]
Absolutely no way is trad poleing quicker than pitching a ladder and getting up there. . I'd challenge anyone who says it is [emoji6]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Absolutely no way is trad poleing quicker than pitching a ladder and getting up there. . I'd challenge anyone who says it is
emoji6.png

I was saying quicker than dragging the wfp round alleyways or packing up just to drive round the back

But yes some jobs are quicker trad pole rather than ladders

Watch wagga's son Tristan on youtube and see how quick he can do it with his wagtail and detailing tool mod

I learnt to trad pole from watching wagga and then getting advice from Bob Hatt and am very quick now and could work trad pole all day and not be any slowet than if i was humping my ladders about

Absolutely no way is trad poleing quicker than pitching a ladder and getting up there. . I'd challenge anyone who says it is [emoji6]

you must be dead slow with a pole mate. ladders is no way quicker. I've done an experiment on this and will be doing a video on it on my YouTube channel. with ladders job took 15 mins including taking ladders of van and putting them back on. with pole was 9 mins and was easy. if your faster with ladders then your pole work needs.... work

I've been cleaning windows for over 10 years. Tradition extension poles are not faster than using a ladder for me. Ladders are definitely the tool of choice over traditional extension poles, unless the window is awkward to get at with the ladder. If that wasn't the case, why is traditional window cleaners up and down the country using ladders all day?

I've been cleaning windows for over 10 years. Tradition extension poles are not faster than using a ladder for me. Ladders are definitely the tool of choice over traditional extension poles, unless the window is awkward to get at with the ladder. If that wasn't the case, why is traditional window cleaners up and down the country using ladders all day?
because it takes more skill to use a pole and be quick. my dads done ladders for 30 years plus and i have time to do the same job as him and have a cup of tea. If your faster with ladders than a pole then your technique with a pole needs work. if you use the moerman excelerator on a pole you will be faster than any ladders providing you have the skill. more and more guys are starting to use a pole rather than ladders why... because its faster and safer once you've mastered it. if your pole work consists of straight pulls and detailing then yeah the ladders will be faster. but if you fan the window down with no detailing i bet i could leave ya for dust lol. got the vids to prove it m8. but if your stubborn like my da and refuse to learn a new method (granted not easy to learn) you will always be climbing ladders which is entirely up to you

15 minutes with ladders? That's slow pal.... very slow to be honest... I wouldn't be making much money if it took me that long with ladders !!!

You haven't seen the job yet how can you make that assumption??

You haven't seen the job yet how can you make that assumption??

Load of rubbish mate!!!! Where I clean windows pal you have no chance..... literally every widow I'm having to scrape bird c**p off.... you'd still be there now trying to get it off without a scraper... would be interesting [emoji6]

Definatley agree pal, no way is it quicker using trad poles. Agree wfp would be quicker but where I work it's all trad and people are yet to embrace the wfp and many don't rate it and prefer a good ol trad windie [emoji106]

no not really, i use a multi tool from DA components with bronze wool. welcome to 2017 my man. Trust me if doing ladders was faster i would still be doing it. i make around 100 quid extra a day thanks to not faff'n with ladders but like i say it's not easy to learn

Latest Posts

Back