maddydog

Efflorescence and brick acid

maddydog

I've recently cleaned some block paving for a commercial client and some patches of efflorescence have appeared.

They're fine about it and understand the reasons as to why but they want it removed for an upcoming event.

Just wondered if anyone had experience of using brick acid? Concentration? Leave on heavily diluted or rinse off? Etc. 

Cheers

CM Cleaning Services

Brick acid wont remove efflorescence u need an efflorescence chemical nasty stuff ppe and allow plenty time as its not easy to shift , dilution ratio I vary dependant on how bad it is.

Soak up area I apply by hand with a good scrub brush leave to soak in but not dry rinse off plenty

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

maddydog

Cheers, didn't realise it was so involved! Hopefully it's raining when they have their event 😀

K in Kent

If efflorescence wasn't a problem before it's probably the pressure washing that caused it and only likely to be temporary.

But for immediate results I use Resiblock ER. Just apply and rinse - repeat if necessary.

Hydrochloric acid removes efflorescence.

maddydog

Typical, went there yesterday and it's only a tiny amount of efflorescence. The majority of the staining was crushed limestone chippings left by the landscapers after they tidied the beds up. To show willing I washed it down anyway and tidied up all the other areas the landscapers have been.

jason1965

Just a quick note efflorescence, is not in the block paving, nor is it in bricks or concrete blocks, it come from the cement, more often Portland cement. So when you see the side of walls with white powder like effect, the white powder effect is from the cement not the bricks. 

K in Kent

You're quite right about the cement and efflorescence is salts within the cement rising to the surface when mixed with water. But it can appear in any concrete blocks/slabs etc because of the cement used in construction of the blocks/slabs.

That's how it appears in concrete block paving which has no mortar/cement in the joints.

Edited by K in Kent