Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Are my standards too high?

@ninja.cleanwindows

Hi guys,

I've just started window cleaning and it turns out it was even harder than expected (I like a challenge). So it turns out, with my background, I'm great at the advertising and all the talking to managers etc and have had quite a few emails and calls... but today was my first paid clean! 

It was a small printing business at the end of my road with just 1 large window so I charged £5 inside and out as I'm pretty confident in myself and my training. However it took me about half an hour. Here's why:

- This is my first job so I'm obviously slower than most

- Only have 14" Mop and squeegee

- The glass was covered in old sticker glue and paint on the sides it was so thin and weak I could not apply much pressure when steel wooling. Would flex if i did.

- Because of the thinness it was hard to see which side the grime or smears were

- It is very hot today and had to do small sections.

-They print stickers so they had quite a few meaning more detailing!

- I WANTED IT SPOTLESS BEING MY FIRST JOB

My question is are my standards just too high? When I do a job It has to be as perfect as i can make it. I was thinking about reflecting this on the price but people are really tight... one woman wanted £6 for the whole front and had leaded windows 'because that's what the last guy charged'. - well im not the last guy love haha 

How do I show I care about my standard of work before selling the account and what should I charge in N. London?

Also do customers who want to give you a small amount of money expect you to do the absolute best job you can do or just a general quick once over to make it better than it was? 

Its Tough Out There!

Thanks Guys! any help/advice  would be appreciated I've already spent £650 an everything so far inc insurance, training and branding and i feel drained as its not giving me anything back yet.

PEACE AND LOVE

Hi guys,

I've just started window cleaning and it turns out it was even harder than expected (I like a challenge). So it turns out, with my background, I'm great at the advertising and all the talking to managers etc and have had quite a few emails and calls... but today was my first paid clean! 

It was a small printing business at the end of my road with just 1 large window so I charged £5 inside and out as I'm pretty confident in myself and my training. However it took me about half an hour. Here's why:
- The glass was covered in old sticker glue and paint on the sides it was so thin and weak I could not apply much pressure when steel wooling. Would flex if i did.
- Because of the thinness it was hard to see which side the grime or smears were

My question is are my standards just too high? When I do a job It has to be as perfect as i can make it. I was thinking about reflecting this on the price but people are really tight... one woman wanted £6 for the whole front and had leaded windows 'because that's what the last guy charged'. - well im not the last guy love haha 
How do I show I care about my standard of work before selling the account and what should I charge in N. London?

Also do customers who want to give you a small amount of money expect you to do the absolute best job you can do or just a general quick once over to make it better than it was? 
Its Tough Out There!

Thanks Guys! any help/advice  would be appreciated I've already spent £650 an everything so far inc insurance, training and branding and i feel drained as its not giving me anything back yet.

PEACE AND LOVE

Nothing wrong with high standards and doing you're very best. But you need to price accordingly more so with sticker removal

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

PEACE AND LOVE
Keep at it. I started up again 2 years ago after an 8 year stint in tech sales. I've found that door knocking works the best to start with, look at the sills on house and businesses, these should tell you if they have a window cleaner. I don't normally compete, so if they tell me they have a window cleaner i say "ok, heres a flyer for if they ever let you down". Set yourself a daily sales target, mine was £100 of pcm jobs, it provides the needed motivation. Explain your price. i.e, that'll be £15 because I clean your frames and sills. Its ok to be a perfectionist is this trade and speed will come, when i first started window cleaning ( when i was 16) i practiced for hours on my mums kitchen window, just make sure you get your value out of it.

I know what you mean ! Have that idea myself once in a while , esp. When i work with others and see their "cleaning" . But Yesterday a guy came out for the second time said he recommended me ( gave him my cards earlier ) because im so good at what i do . I May be caught with details , but try to Price accordingly. Rather have happy custys and loose 2 min. than a crappy reputation. I have a good reputation and i know why !  :1f609:  another trick is to classify your jobs ! As : homes :A ,shops :B , kindergartens , schools, daycare homes etc :C  , as for A =High standards . And C for low , (really doesent matter anyway )! 

I know what you mean ! Have that idea myself once in a while , esp. When i work with others and see their "cleaning" . But Yesterday a guy came out for the second time said he recommended me ( gave him my cards earlier ) because im so good at what i do . I May be caught with details , but try to Price accordingly. Rather have happy custys and loose 2 min. than a crappy reputation. I have a good reputation and i know why !  :1f609:  another trick is to classify your jobs ! As : homes :A ,shops :B , kindergartens , schools, daycare homes etc :C  , as for A =High standards . And C for low , (really doesent matter anyway )! 
Yes I'm getting this now. My whole business is starting to blow up on reputation and recommendations. Yesterday I got a phone call from a lady who lived opposite from a house I did. She owns 5 houses near by with people tenants and wants me to clean all of them! that wouldn't have happened if I cut corners. I'm also taking over the lazy window cleaners jobs and charging more! when the custy asks for a ridiculously low price I explain, In a nice way, you pay for what you get. 

I can really see that when I take pride in my work the business just naturally grows.

I often wonder this myself. However, we get a ruck of referrals so our standards must be ok. How clean do you scrape a roof? How white do people want their UPVC? How mint do people want their drives? ... sell the fact you a perfectionist & don't leave till it's right..

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I often wonder this myself. However, we get a ruck of referrals so our standards must be ok. How clean do you scrape a roof? How white do people want their UPVC? How mint do people want their drives? ... sell the fact you a perfectionist & don't leave till it's right..

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums
But sometimes a frame or roof is so poorly weathered and never going to be perfect,

then it is about managing a customer's expectation and telling them it isn't going to be

original and many times it comes up better than they anticipated, so they're happy with

the outcome.

Just got home and I agree! 

Spent at least an hour per house today and did 2 houses (only fronts) and made sure it was as perfect as possible. I got 2 more jobs while working as it was a busy road and luckily people were interested walking by and both customers (next door neighbors) gave me addresses to friends and family :) I've learned it is perfectly fine to have high standards!! Leads to more jobs. 

Hi guys,

Its Tough Out There!

PEACE AND LOVE
Whereabouts in n london?

Ouch

You can charge well round there

Better as you go towards cheshunt or crews hill side of the a10

I'm only 20 minutes away up the a10 in Hertfordshire 

Keep at it mate and you will do ok

Ouch

You can charge well round there

Better as you go towards cheshunt or crews hill side of the a10

I'm only 20 minutes away up the a10 in Hertfordshire 

Keep at it mate and you will do ok
Yeah I'm keeping my prices as low as I can until I am confident in what I am doing. As far as travel I don't have a car yet. Just passed today and I need another £1300 for the car and first months insurance :(. I might get a loan from the bank or something as I'll be able to make more money at a faster rate.

It sucks being a window cleaner without wheels hahaa

Yeah I'm keeping my prices as low as I can until I am confident in what I am doing. As far as travel I don't have a car yet. Just passed today and I need another £1300 for the car and first months insurance :(. I might get a loan from the bank or something as I'll be able to make more money at a faster rate.

It sucks being a window cleaner without wheels hahaa
get a small van, better for work and cheaper to insure

Getting a van and a car is the more practical way to go once you are established.  Although it hard to afford both at first.  I've only just got a car a few weeks ago as been making do with van and borrowing r lasses car for kids. Nice to have my own though now.

Just got home and I agree! 
Spent at least an hour per house today and did 2 houses (only fronts) and made sure it was as perfect as possible. I got 2 more jobs while working as it was a busy road and luckily people were interested walking by and both customers (next door neighbors) gave me addresses to friends and family :) I've learned it is perfectly fine to have high standards!! Leads to more jobs. 

I always take my time on fronts when in a newish area to try and encourage walk ups. What I would say is that you want to make sure you don't take two long. Old Dorris and her twitchy curtains may put word about that you don't seem confident in your work. That's my thinking anyways

Congrats on passing your test (just seen that). I started off the same way as you, only with a wfp trolley, and a vehicle will make your life bliss!

Back