Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New customer, last window cleaner there 3 weeks ago

WCF

Help Support WCF:

maddydog

Wish I'd taken some pictures. With all the competition I can't believe some windies get away with it. Whole side of cottage didn't look like it had been cleaned in years (no access issues), front of house was rubbish and two other windows at the back never been touched. Owner said that she got so frustrated she started marking the windows to check whether they'd cleaned them!

Really tees me off, nice lady that doesn't strike me as a messer and a well paid monthly job. Some people just simply don't deserve the work.

I've leafleted the other houses but nothing yet :1f609:

f72486a6640cac1830507fd98d7fbe16.jpg

This was done every four weeks for the last 9 years. Truly amazing what it takes for someone to move on from the cr4ppy service they get

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

hahaha...this is funny! Some people take window cleaning to the extreme thinking that they "just clean windows!!" i.e.: frames aren't windows, so if you want me to clean them, you gotta pay me more!....rather than just charging for wiping it anyway!

He prob did the house for a tenner.

Years ago it was acceptable just to clean the glass and was charged for accordingly. If you've had some customers for years they might not want to pay extra to have the frames and sills cleaned!

This was done every four weeks for the last 9 years. Truly amazing what it takes for someone to move on from the cr4ppy service they get

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
That is disgusting

First clean an  extra 30 seconds to clean those frames either trad with a ubik etc soaked rag or a quick spray then wfp

Subsequent cleans take no longer than a glass only clean as they just need a wipe over to keep them clean

I picked up no end of jobs round here from a trad guy who would never wipe the frames but that could have been just the same from a wfp guy

A couple of seconds extra work and your customers not looking elsewhere

It's a no brainer really

I have never missed a frame in 26 years and never specified i clean frames.. i just call that window cleaning

Window frame, window sill and window

The clue is in the name window

014c92b01c2dd32f2c75af087d6864a7.jpg

This one had been cleaned the day before by the local rag man, the patio window looked like it hadn't been cleaned in 12 months,

I took over a round from a pervious cleaner and it kills me inside that these customers Iv now got don't mention the dirty frames that are saturated in dirt. 

I took over a round from a pervious cleaner and it kills me inside that these customers Iv now got don't mention the dirty frames that are saturated in dirt. 
For the time it takes i would get them all up to scratch and then up their prices in a few months to reflect the difference in service

My customers know i have been as everything is gleaming not just the glass 

They would notice if i left the frames as they wouldn't be shiny white

This time of year is great for it as the frames dry so quick

For the time it takes i would get them all up to scratch and then up their prices in a few months to reflect the difference in service

My customers know i have been as everything is gleaming not just the glass 

They would notice if i left the frames as they wouldn't be shiny white

This time of year is great for it as the frames dry so quick
Some of the customers are in council areas and wouldnt thank me for it.

I noticed you said you used bleach, dish soap and water for first off cleans. I'm better to keep the bleach off the glass or will it be fine?

I'v got 2 big first off jobs tomorrow and I want them to be repeats. So I want the frames near brand new.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't have ubik or screwfix degreaser etc then get a bottle of thick bleach from asda etc

Put an inch in a spray bottle and a small squirt of washing up liquid and fill completely with water

That will get all the green and black muck off

Spray on brush for tops and on windows for bottoms and crack on

Makes a big difference 

Only use about an inch in a sprayer as if you do it super strong you will leave orange stains on the upvc

They do eventually fade away but best not to need to explain that to customers

I bought upvc cleaner from screwfix a while back. But buying £1 bleach from Asda sounds like a good option. Would only plan on using it for a first clean so it wouldn't be continued use.

I got a call this morning. "Last window cleaner has packed up etc" I tell her I'm round the corner and can pop round in a couple of hours. "Can't you come now as I'm off to work in a minute." No, I'm in a close with my hose out already cleaning 8 houses, I'll call round later. I get there and there's a sold sign up. A quick 'u' turn and back to what I was doing. 

I also had one today. The customers told me the last window cleaner just didn't come back and he cleaned the glass only. Yeah I could tell when it took me nearly 2 hours to clean the windows.

Back