Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Advice please

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I

inkeddude81

Hi all

im a newbie here, my name is AJ and I could really do with some advice. I'm based in Cornwall. I am a new start up. I have no savings or anyone I can borrow money from. So I was wondering does anyone know where I could apply for a grant or startup loan? what is the best way to get started in water fed pole system cleaning with no money. Any advice would be extremely helpful and very much appreciated. Thanks all.

andy

Most grant like that have conditions attached, for example being self employed within 6-12 months, so read the small print. My advice would be to spend £50 on some trad gear, get out targeting shops and bungalows, and low down flats,(using trad extension pole) to get started. Wont be too long before you have a little more money to invest, bit by bit.

I would avoid taking on any debt if you can.

If you have a vehicle, you can get going with WFP's for around £3-500 for a DIY setup.

As above target what work you can manage for now and get some regular work built up, When I started over 17 years ago trad I built up a round in the village I lived as I couldn't drive and it took over a year to pass my test.

But I spent less than a £100 buying a ladder and trad gear and that is near enough still doable now. Starting off trad is by far the best way to start as their is a small financial outlay and low risk don't be so keen to get into debt until you have a viable business and are certain that being a window cleaner is for you. 

Yiu can either start out trad from your car or even walk it, knocking doors, maybe starting out cheap to get the work then build from there.

Or if you can get a loan, buy All the gear and a round.

But wfp doesn't have to be expensive.

Here's my setup

R.O £150

D.I vessel £35

Hose reel £50 (second hand)

500l tank £80 (second hand)

Pump £15

70ah battery £45 

Backpack £100

Gardiners slx 22 £240

Fittings/screws etc £20

Total about 750

Last edited by a moderator:
I sold up when i moved from London but originally started with some ladders i half inched off my mates dad, applicator, bucket and 1 10" brass squeegee

Peanuts to start

When i moved up here i subbed for 8 years off 1 company with my own trad gear and then decided to start up for myself again and then my friend who works in the local business tech centre (wenta) told me i could get a grant off the council in partnership with the princes trust of up to 1k if i showed them a business plan and listed what i would buy with the money which i used to go wfp

No catch and all i had to do was fill in a questionnaire after 12 months or they could ask for it back

Irrelevant of sucess or not as it was a government incentive 

Ask about as wenta is nationwide i think and the princes trust definitely is

They may have some sort of scheme on

Hi all

im a newbie here, my name is AJ and I could really do with some advice. I'm based in Cornwall. I am a new start up. I have no savings or anyone I can borrow money from. So I was wondering does anyone know where I could apply for a grant or startup loan? what is the best way to get started in water fed pole system cleaning with no money. Any advice would be extremely helpful and very much appreciated. Thanks all.

andy
new enterprise allowance from the job centre. A friend did it, they helped with business plans, funding up to about £600 and pay £60 a week for 3 months your trading then £30 a week for the following 3 months. He started with trad tools, a car and a backpack with fibreglass pole. He now earns more than me (better get my thumb out my ****!)

new enterprise allowance from the job centre. A friend did it, they helped with business plans, funding up to about £600 and pay £60 a week for 3 months your trading then £30 a week for the following 3 months. He started with trad tools, a car and a backpack with fibreglass pole. He now earns more than me (better get my thumb out my ****!)

I went down the same root, ask the job centre about a startup loan the interest rate is only 5%, you will just need to sort yourself a business plan out.

Back