Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

RO Production Information Thread

Tuffers

I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread for information about how well your RO performs.

I've seen a few threads concerning RO's on here recently and it seems a few of us are experiencing issues. 

I've been having major issues with mine lately, @spruce & @kevinc250 have been helping me and have spent a lot of their time answering my questions.

I have a PF setup, 20" prefilters, 40" RO. Tap TDS is about 200PPM. Pressure has dropped from 40psi to 20psi, but tap pressure is 40psi! The TDS coming out of my RO shot up to 044PPM. Kev & Spruce have had a lot of input into my problem. I decided to bite the bullet and buy a new membrane. I got it today and flushed it for 2 hours. After the 2 hours I closed the gate valve down (with fingers crossed). I'm getting 20psi still but the TDS has gone down to 017PPM. Not brilliant but a whole lot better than 044PPM. My next purchase I think is going to be a booster pump.

So, here are the questions; what is your....

Input TDS?

Output TDS?

Pressure?

Size of filters & membrane?

Booster pump used?

What problems do you have with your system that you just can't get your head round?

Maybe this could be made a sticky @Gav, @Dave B, @Chris33?

Last edited by a moderator:
20 inch prefilters 

4040 ro

Tap fluctuates on average 200 

Ppm out before di 4-5ppm

No booster bit very good pressure 

One thing I would note I was using normal garden hose but it split over day so I used some spare hose I had which is much thinner diameter and now it's producing water even faster

As you are aware I'm one of the guys who has been having an issue, which is kinda sorted now.
Tap Tds in 290 ppm.
Not sure on pressure yet waiting on my gauge arriving.
Pure Freedom 350 gpd system with 3 pre filters and 3 100 gpd membranes.
Tds out of Membrane 17.
Next purchase is going to be a booster to produce water quicker and try and get tds down further. Also next time I am going to buy better Membranes like Aexon as suggested.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Before a membrane packed up i was getting 9ppm out of my 450gpd collins ro with tap pressure 70psi without booster pump

Not checked now it is back up and running but after a good flush it was about the same

Any of you guys measured the pressure at the tap and noticed it's a lot lower when measuring the pressure on the RO? My tap pressure is 38/40psi but on the RO it's 20si  :1f632: . When I first got the setup tap pressure and RO were both 40psi. I've had my system apart this week trying to sort this pressure problem out. I've spoken to PF and Gardiners and both have said the pressure issue is down to a blockage somewhere. God knows where it is if it exists.

Any of you guys measured the pressure at the tap and noticed it's a lot lower when measuring the pressure on the RO? My tap pressure is 38/40psi but on the RO it's 20si  :1f632: . When I first got the setup tap pressure and RO were both 40psi. I've had my system apart this week trying to sort this pressure problem out. I've spoken to PF and Gardiners and both have said the pressure issue is down to a blockage somewhere. God knows where it is if it exists.

Have you had time to change the hose pipe from your tap to your r/o yet @Tuffers?

4021 ro
10 inch pre filters
Tap 140 ppm
ppm out before di 7-8
water pressure around 60 psi no booster pump
hozelock garden hose used

Should be better than that @marc674. I see that as a membrane efficiency of 94%. It should be up toward 97 - 98% with your pressure. At 100ppm tap water tds my rejection rate is 2 with 50psi. My HF5 membrane is heading toward 5 years old.

Collins 450 tap tds 300ish 65psi RO tds 009 recently taken out prefilter as we don't have any sediment and noticed a slight increase in speed 24hrs fill 1000l

Not had chance to change hose over yet @spruce.

I'm going to bite the bullet next week and get a Gardiners all singing all dancing booster.

Change the hose first I would say. Then change that waste gate valve for a non PF one.

I bought another valve but haven't fitted it as unlike PF there is no hole drilled in it to prevent closing fully. I must say that gate valve has never seemed to be responsive. You can turn the handle but the handle turns more than the valve itself if you get me?

I bought another valve but haven't fitted it as unlike PF there is no hole drilled in it to prevent closing fully. I must say that gate valve has never seemed to be responsive. You can turn the handle but the handle turns more than the valve itself if you get me?

Those gate valves do work that way.

Many many years ago the company I work for sold those gate valves as part of our valve inventory. They were pretty good, but we did have the odd one where the paddle or gate somehow became separated (unscrewed) from the spindle. It happened to this one I've got as well. I did get it back together and working but never did work out how it happened.

But its still the pressure build up that is bugging me, so my feelings are that its in the plumbing to the tap, the supply or a restriction in that hose. My focus would be from the tap to the prefilters. The gate valve is way down the list. If the gate valve was stuck open you would get a drop in pressure on the r/o pressure gauge, but you would get lots of water going to waste and very little produced.

I'm with Spruce on this one it sounds as if not enough back pressure. You can pick up a gate valve from Screfix and B&Q.

With 2 bar testing our membranes we hit 97% rejection rate.

Have only had 4021 unit for 2 months. Got it from daqua. All set up as instructions said. Thought Tds should of been a bit lower ? any ideas on how to get it lower ? unless tds tester is at fault

We always test them before sending out and get 97% at 2 bar then with booster 98%.

Your looking for it to drop down a few ppm.

it may be an incorrect reading from your TDS Meter . What brand you using

Will fitting a smaller diameter hose from tap to ro make a difference to speed of water production.....I know it will increase the pressure but you still have the same flow?

Back