Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What do I charge for cleaning solar panels

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Doug

Hi

My name is Doug and I am new to this forum. Based in Somerset near Frome.  I have been asked to quote to clean some solar panels and was wondering how others go about quoting for these?

As I have never cleaned one, I have no idea whether they are different to cleaning windows or how long it would take to clean each. And as it seems to be an annual thing presumably they get quite a build up on them. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

I charge 2.50-3 quid a panel usually

They only take a minute or 2 but usually have 10 or so on a roof

Doesn't take long but earns more than hourly rate

As I have never cleaned one, I have no idea whether they are different to cleaning windows or how long it would take to clean each. And as it seems to be an annual thing presumably they get quite a build up on them. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
They don't take any longer than a standard window in my experience as there are no frames to mess about with.

I always ask if there's an isolator switch and if so, to turn it off. This obviously stops any electricity flow. 

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
They don't take any longer than a standard window in my experience as there are no frames to mess about with.

I always ask if there's an isolator switch and if so, to turn it off. This obviously stops any electricity flow. 

Good luck
An isolator won't stop any charge from the panels

It would only isolate the current from travelling into the house as the panels can't be turned off due to how they work.. they are always making electricity

An isolator won't stop any charge from the panels

It would only isolate the current from travelling into the house as the panels can't be turned off due to how they work.. they are always making electricity
It's a belt and braces approach. The more 'off' switches the better with water I.m.o. I even wear wellies when cleaning them (rubber soles!) lol

I charge £2 per panel and a min charge of £20 but i am looking at raising this to £3 a panel and a min charge of £30 now.

I used to do a lot but maybe 5 - 10 jobs a year. Still it slowly paid of my extreme 47 and its still like new

I think i read somewhere that the utility companies recommend that the panels are isolated before cleaning. 
It is a complete fallacy as the panels are always live and if anything was gonna pass a current down your pole it would be the panels the brush is touching

Isolating the supply to the house would make no difference whatsoever 

Surely turning off the power is actually more dangerous? Imagine if the box has faulty wires  :1f635:
Sort of thing I would want professional guidance for before going ahead. Electricity, carbon, and water don't mix! 

Suppose you could always clean them at night ?

Back