Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

The Numbers Game

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Gazz

Well it's time for me to get the numbers up. As of lately i'v relied on word of mouth and buying into a round.

I'v got a good market where I live because of all the glass only window cleaners who skip windows. So I'll be jumping into the area and advertise with the full frames, sills, windows and doors package.

I'v got flyers printed and that's me ready.

So what's the best way to approach customers? Drop flyers off and then go back the next day or just chap the door.

Just looking for advice or best ways you got the numbers up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still say there's nothing wrong with glass only cleaners as long as it's priced accordingly. Some customers are happy to pay £8 for glass cleaning rather than say £16 for glass frames and sills. Depends what they want!

I still say there's nothing wrong with glass only cleaners as long as it's priced accordingly. Some customers are happy to pay £8 for glass cleaning rather than say £16 for glass frames and sills. Depends what they want!
I do agree but it's the fact glass cleaners around here let the soap drip onto the sill and don't wipe it off the dirty frames. I have quite a few glass only cleans and it kills me to do it.

i agree to a point as at the end of the day whatever a customer wants is right however and its a massive however I pick up customers all the time that switch to me cos I include frames and sills and also dos I'm wfp I don't miss any windows. It's a question I get asked lots when out chapping

Last edited by a moderator:
Just canvass & drop flyers through any doors where you don't get an answer. Make a note of the houses where you've not had an answer and re-canvass at a different time of day.

That's what I'll be doing. Everytime I land a new customer in another area I always do the 5 door rule. 5 doors left, 5 door right. "Hi im gary, I just cleaned missus smiths windows at number 4 and was wondering if you needed a window cleaner". 

10 doors, good chance to land a customer.

you could also use it as a demo house as it should be the cleanest on the street.

bit random but have you made your money back on the round you bought? If so a good idea may be to state "from next clean price os going up by £x, however that will now include frames sills and doors". Don't make it an option or people will refuse, you probably will lose a few, but as long as you've made your money back it'll soften the blow. Look at it this way, if you have 10 £9 houses and put them up a pound, and lose 1, your still making the same amount of money for less work (frames will add 2 mins once they're cleaned 1st time). Plus you have space for 1 new custy at £10. Just food for thought

you could also use it as a demo house as it should be the cleanest on the street.

bit random but have you made your money back on the round you bought? If so a good idea may be to state "from next clean price os going up by £x, however that will now include frames sills and doors". Don't make it an option or people will refuse, you probably will lose a few, but as long as you've made your money back it'll soften the blow. Look at it this way, if you have 10 £9 houses and put them up a pound, and lose 1, your still making the same amount of money for less work (frames will add 2 mins once they're cleaned 1st time). Plus you have space for 1 new custy at £10. Just food for thought
I'v nearly got it paid off. I decided while I was working full time in another job after I took over the round that id slip the run into 4 weeks so that I could keep it sweet. If i didn't do that and hand out letters to everyone telling them about the change and chatting with alot of them I'd have made it back.

The run is filled with low paying glass only cleans. Which is easy to do yes but not the direction I want to go. Some areas I really don't like because of H&S reasons that I will drop when I can. 

But for now I'm getting alot of referals from the customers that I already have. Building up the area as best as possible. All the houses are literally 10mins walking distance and that's roughly 120+ cleans.

Only issue is I haven't changed the cleaning service. I want to change it but I'll just pick and choose all the good houses, with good payers and lose the dead weight and low prices.

I'v nearly got it paid off. I decided while I was working full time in another job after I took over the round that id slip the run into 4 weeks so that I could keep it sweet. If i didn't do that and hand out letters to everyone telling them about the change and chatting with alot of them I'd have made it back.

The run is filled with low paying glass only cleans. Which is easy to do yes but not the direction I want to go. Some areas I really don't like because of H&S reasons that I will drop when I can. 

But for now I'm getting alot of referals from the customers that I already have. Building up the area as best as possible. All the houses are literally 10mins walking distance and that's roughly 120+ cleans.

Only issue is I haven't changed the cleaning service. I want to change it but I'll just pick and choose all the good houses, with good payers and lose the dead weight and low prices.
change the service first, that way of you do lose more than expected you haven't also binned loads and screwed yourself

change the service first, that way of you do lose more than expected you haven't also binned loads and screwed yourself
The ones I want to keep have aluminium and wooden frames. I guess I'll just work something out until I get the customers I want. Have to start from the bottom before I get to the top.

Back