Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pump not drawing water

H

Hawke

Could really do with some help please - I have a Shurflo 8000-946-138 connected to a tank in my van and a Varistream controller. Installed it last week and today it suddenly stopped working.

Thought it may have been an air lock but checked all my connections and the water is flowing up to the pump but isn't being pulled through.

Pump is going and Varistream shows power is ok but it simply isn't flowing - any help or suggestions please?

Could really do with some help please - I have a Shurflo 8000-946-138 connected to a tank in my van and a Varistream controller. Installed it last week and today it suddenly stopped working.

Thought it may have been an air lock but checked all my connections and the water is flowing up to the pump but isn't being pulled through.

Pump is going and Varistream shows power is ok but it simply isn't flowing - any help or suggestions please?

Last week I had the same problem on one of my pumps, it was going in to the pump but no water coming out the hose. I reeled out all the hose and it came through. Because it was hot it had kinked rite at the beginning connected to the reel. Just check that also can you bleed your pumps because there may be a air lock in it

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

How best to bleed the pump? I can hear it's working away but not drawing so thinking it will br an air lock but it's never not cleared before...

It happened to me the other day. The thing I done was disconnect the hose going from the pump to the hose and then run it until the water comes through. I hope this helps

Philip said:
It happened to me the other day. The thing I done was disconnect the hose going from the pump to the hose reel and then run it until the water comes through. I hope this helps

All of the above, plus try whacking the flow to maximum. Or the pump might need priming? When I used to use a trolley and ran out of water I'd have to prime the pump. I was on the last job of the day earlier in the week and the water started to dribble out. I had run out of water, water was just clearing the outlet but air was going through too. Luckily I carry 2x 25 litre barrels of pure on my van in case this happens.

How do you prime the pump?

I used to have the same problem when using a trolley, but the thing is I topped up the tank way before it was running dry, so it shouldn't be that causing the issue. As always, best to rule out everything before buying a new pump!

How do you prime the pump?

I used to have the same problem when using a trolley, but the thing is I topped up the tank way before it was running dry, so it shouldn't be that causing the issue. As always, best to rule out everything before buying a new pump!

I used to pour water down the pipe leading to the pump and blow it.

Thought I would continue the thread.

I need some help from any pump experts.

My pump failed me today, it has power to it and the motor is running. I have taken the base off and the diaphragm is moving up and down but it is not drawing any water.

I have primed the pump (sucked through water into the pump) but it will just not create any pressure and suck the water through.

I have removed the analogue controller and just powered the pump directly and it still does not work

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

You could have the mother of all airlocks as this is generally the issue as above pouring water into the hose to the inlet in the easiest way so that the pump fills up with water then run the pump on a low setting then gradually increase, I always do this without the reel connected which I assume you are doing 

Thought I would continue the thread.

I need some help from any pump experts.

My pump failed me today, it has power to it and the motor is running. I have taken the base off and the diaphragm is moving up and down but it is not drawing any water.

I have primed the pump (sucked through water into the pump) but it will just not create any pressure and suck the water through.

I have removed the analogue controller and just powered the pump directly and it still does not work

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

You don't say which pump you have but they will all have a small non return valve inside the head with a hair spring behind it. This acts as a non return valve to stop the pump from pushing the water back into the tank. If you don't have a prepump filter then a little grit can get trapped between this plate and its seat rendering it inoperable. It is also possible when disassembling the pump that the spring popped out without you realising it.

If its not an airlock and you are sucking water through the pump without any air bubbles, then the only other issues surrounding pump not delivering water are split/damaged diaphram or this little valve plate and spring.

The other thing to mention is the pump only works in one direction. Shurflos have a flow arrow in the pump head indicating which is the inlet and outlet.

I belief most pump issues are that air in being sucked in from the tank and filter side of the pump connections.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't say which pump you have but they will all have a small non return valve inside the head with a hair spring behind it. This acts as a non return valve to stop the pump from pushing the water back into the tank. If you don't have a prepump filter then a little grit can get trapped between this plate and its seat rendering it inoperable. It is also possible when disassembling the pump that the spring popped out without you realising it.

If its not an airlock and you are sucking water through the pump without any air bubbles, then the only other issues surrounding pump not delivering water are split/damaged diaphram or this little valve plate and spring.

The other thing to mention is the pump only works in one direction. Shurflos have a flow arrow in the pump head indicating which is the inlet and outlet.

I belief most pump issues are that air in being sucked in from the tank and filter side of the pump connections.
Hello, its a Shurflo pump.

I can suck water through but the pump will not create any pressure to continue the flow.

I will try and upload some pictures/images, could you identify where the non return valve is located so to check its not stcuk.

Im 99.9% sure all springs are as they should be.

Thanks so far !

20181231_120955.jpg

problem solved 

I took out the rubber diaphragm and the vevkes were clogged up with debris

washed it all out and put it back together and now working as it should 

problem solved 

I took out the rubber diaphragm and the vevkes were clogged up with debris

washed it all out and put it back together and now working as it should 

That's good. But you need to fit an inline filter so there is less chance of it happening again.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHURFLO-PUMP-FILTER-STRAINER-1-2-WING-NUT-FASTENING-255-215/182783832268?hash=item2a8ec3f0cc:g:bw4AAOSwhTVZz4J0:rk:1:pf:0

This one can be fitted so the filter bowl is pointing downwards. This way there is less water when you unscrew it and if there is any air inside the bowl its self bleeding.

Back