Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hypo

Morning Lain each substrate is different. Whatever your cleaning do a test sample with a 2 to 3% mixture and if your not happy with results raise to 3 to 4% mix etc.. i carry 3 hand held pumps in the van with 3% 4% and 5% for samples. You may have to make a 50/50 mix for detailing on stubborn lichens etc.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Hi
Ok a few months back I. Tonight some hypo and some clever wash but have not tried it yet.
Was thinking of having a go with it this week.
I did also see a video where someone used a flat surface cleaner washed it off then applied some hypo.
Thought the hypo was applied before hand?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Me personally if doing driveway/patio etc i remove as much crud as i can then quick spin over so wetting surface ready for application of hypo. Then sit and have a brew or prep your next surface if its a big job. Rince of when chems done its job and ticketyboo nice clean sanitized job.

Morning Lain each substrate is different. Whatever your cleaning do a test sample with a 2 to 3% mixture and if your not happy with results raise to 3 to 4% mix etc.. i carry 3 hand held pumps in the van with 3% 4% and 5% for samples. You may have to make a 50/50 mix for detailing on stubborn lichens etc.

Hey mate could u show a picture of ur pump u spray with?? Thanks .

Hey mate could u show a picture of ur pump u spray with?? Thanks .

Any basic 5 litre/ 8 litre pump sprayer will do the job, it doesn't have to have viton seals. It's not like using sealant and although hypo is corrosive a sprayer will go on for ages. You could clean through with water after each use but I don't bother, and only clean through now and then and they still last a few months usually.

For larger areas better off applying hypo with a watering can.

RE hypo concentration - CleanerWindows is quite right to be careful and hypo can do nasty things to lead flashings for example.

But at a 3% concentration you might just as well use a 60/40 mix of thin bleach costing 28p for 2 litres from Tesco or neat for 5%.

It's not a good idea going round as some people do saying "oh yeah hypo this, hypo that". It should be reserved for the jobs other things can't do like black lichens on sandstone, roofs and avoiding the need for water pressure (which won't deal with blach lichens on its own). Neat bleach will have some effect but not as dramatic and slower but that's all hypo is - household bleach but 3 times stronger.

Wadhing up liquid is a wastte of time. The reason for using it is supposedly a) as a surfactant to help it stick ro the surface longer and not just run off - doesn't work snd b) to mask the smell and bit of Fairy is hardly going to do that.

A better surfactant is baby shampooo (non oxidising) bur still not that effective. Should use the proper stuff and not expensive -

Lauryldimethylamine Oxide.

By mixing hypo with a surfactant you get better spread & agitation, add a scent masker like zoflora. You may not smell the bleach if you use it on a regular basis but others will & its well strong.. Ref to mixing that depends on how bad the surface is. It's ok to go neat if need be, I've not had any issues going neat you just be very careful. If your using a pump action spray bottle then get one with viton seals as will last forever if you clean after use, avoid any spray bottle with a metal lance..

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Dave B said:
Look at the ingredients of household bleach and you will see it usually has sodium hydroxide in it as well as hypoclorite

I use hypo for many jobs and know what i am doing with it and won't use bleach from the shop

Hydroxide and hypoclorite have different uses 

As for washing up liquid it will work as a surfactant as all that is is something to break the surface tension of the water but add some to neat hypo and watch the chlorine bubbles start appearing

Not ideal 

Dave,

is this the correct stuff?

https://www.dispensers.co.uk/liquid-chlorine-sodium-hypochlorite-15.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpa2DyL7m1QIVAuEbCh0xoQWYEAQYAiABEgItu_D_BwE

cos i get confussed when reading posts on S H,

Also what about the sfuff sold at swimming pool cleaning places, i saw some near me and if memory serves me it to had something else in it?

thanx for input.

That is the right stuff and the same as swimming pool suppliers

As long as it is sodium hypoclorite as you can also get calcium hypochlorite which is effective but usually found in powdered form and hard to dissolve fully

I like calcium hypoclorite but more of a faff to prepare

Any basic 5 litre/ 8 litre pump sprayer will do the job, it doesn't have to have viton seals. It's not like using sealant and although hypo is corrosive a sprayer will go on for ages. You could clean through with water after each use but I don't bother, and only clean through now and then and they still last a few months usually.

For larger areas better off applying hypo with a watering can.

RE hypo concentration - CleanerWindows is quite right to be careful and hypo can do nasty things to lead flashings for example.

But at a 3% concentration you might just as well use a 60/40 mix of thin bleach costing 28p for 2 litres from Tesco or neat for 5%.

It's not a good idea going round as some people do saying "oh yeah hypo this, hypo that". It should be reserved for the jobs other things can't do like black lichens on sandstone, roofs and avoiding the need for water pressure (which won't deal with blach lichens on its own). Neat bleach will have some effect but not as dramatic and slower but that's all hypo is - household bleach but 3 times stronger.

Wadhing up liquid is a wastte of time. The reason for using it is supposedly a) as a surfactant to help it stick ro the surface longer and not just run off - doesn't work snd b) to mask the smell and bit of Fairy is hardly going to do that.

A better surfactant is baby shampooo (non oxidising) bur still not that effective. Should use the proper stuff and not expensive -

Lauryldimethylamine Oxide.
Look at the ingredients of household bleach and you will see it usually has sodium hydroxide in it as well as hypoclorite

I use hypo for many jobs and know what i am doing with it and won't use bleach from the shop

As for washing up liquid it will work as a surfactant as all that is is something to break the surface tension of the water but add some to neat hypo and watch the chlorine bubbles start appearing

Not ideal 

Why would you reserve hypo just for black lichen etc?

Have a chat with Benz Softwash or watch their vids showing how blackwash (hypo and surfactant basically) is the best product to clean upvc and first cleans etc

I clean conservatories etc with it in next to no time compared to other methods and have plenty of very happy customers

Try getting the same results with other chems without spending an age scrubbing and wearing out your body

The name of the game is maximum earnings from minimal work for me

re:

"Try getting the same results with other chems without spending an age scrubbing and wearing out your body

The name of the game is maximum earnings from minimal work for me"

what other chems ?

i thought there was only SH , went you came to soft washing?

BTW, "The name of the game is maximum earnings from minimal work for me" MUSIC TO MY EARholes! :dancingparty:

Last edited by a moderator:
Softwash means any cleaning with low pressure

Technically you could call wfp softwash

Ubik etc is all the same principle of spray on, agitate then rinse off

Different chems for fences and decking etc

I use hypo for many jobs and know what i am doing with it and won't use bleach from the shop

As for washing up liquid it will work as a surfactant as all that is is something to break the surface tension of the water but add some to neat hypo and watch the chlorine bubbles start appearing

Not ideal 

Why would you reserve hypo just for black lichen etc?

Have a chat with Benz Softwash or watch their vids showing how blackwash (hypo and surfactant basically) is the best product to clean upvc and first cleans etc

I clean conservatories etc with it in next to no time compared to other methods and have plenty of very happy customers

Try getting the same results with other chems without spending an age scrubbing and wearing out your body

The name of the game is maximum earnings from minimal work for me

I do know Ben and he'll be the first to tell you that washing up liquid is a waste of time with hypo and can also break down the SH

He will also tell you that using hypo for general cleaning and/ or mixing it with additives is illegal and is using it for a purpose other than for which it was intended. It could invalidate insurance and result in prosecution.

THAT is why I don't recommend people go using it everywhere if they don't know what they're doing .

I also know what I'm doing so spare me the chemistry lesson but if you don't and use it in the wrong concentrations or wrong places you can harm / discolour property, lawns, plants and your equipment.

3% hypo or 3% bleach are going to do the same job for removing black lichen.

And I don't remember saying anything about UPVC or conservatories.

And u show me your rate of enquiries / earnings last week , last month or last year and I'll show u mine then we can talk about profits

Dave OK Gotcha!

BTW, I was out today to check on a posh area for my flyer drop, and saw this guy cleaning his block paving with the hook & steel brush method!

anyway i mentioned i was starting up, and if he wanted me to do him a deal for PW in return for a testimonial, it turns out this guy was not the owner but been hired to do the work, and the owner didn't want PW, as says it removes sand & he already had loose blocks..

so i said why don't you do the full job repointing resanding sealing ?....er owner wasn't interested!  yet the house was worth around £500K!

also the worker was retired 64, and did this for something to do, blimey the woker even spoke in a posh voice, didn;t have a van, when i saw the litchen spots i mentioned SH, he didnt know about SH! and yet he was getting work by word of mouth!

dave see steves pics below would SH remove these type of litchen ? even if ya dabbed neat SH on those spots and scrubbed? CHEERS!

Looks like k in kent has ansered my question, cheers mate!

It's not a pi$$ing competition

I stated i use it to make my life easier.. nothing to do with anyones earnings

You do it your way and i do it my way

And what is to say i don't use blackwash

I agreed with you about dish soap and even pointed out about getting chlorine bubbles bit i have used it in the past at short notice and it is a surfactant and will help with the job but yes a proper surfactant is best

I do know Ben and he'll be the first to tell you that washing up liquid is a waste of time with hypo and can also break down the SH

He will also tell you that using hypo for general cleaning and/ or mixing it with additives is illegal and is using it for a purpose other than for which it was intended. It could invalidate insurance and result in prosecution.

THAT is why I don't recommend people go using it everywhere if they don't know what they're doing .

I also know what I'm doing so spare me the chemistry lesson but if you don't and use it in the wrong concentrations or wrong places you can harm / discolour property, lawns, plants and your equipment.

And I don't remember saying anything about UPVC or conservatories.

And u show me your rate of enquiries / earnings last week , last month or last year and I'll show u mine then we can talk about profits
Good morning. You seem to be very knowledgeable on hypo. 

I've used it previously to some effect but I'm looking at providing softwashing to my repertoire. 

Any advice do's and don'ts would be appreciated. 

Particularly around surfectants, dilution rates and application. 

Thanks Paul 

Good morning. You seem to be very knowledgeable on hypo. 

I've used it previously to some effect but I'm looking at providing softwashing to my repertoire. 

Any advice do's and don'ts would be appreciated. 

Particularly around surfectants, dilution rates and application. 

Thanks Paul 

You need to get yourself on a course there is a lot of miss information on the internet, YouTube and on hear , do not mix anything with hypo that isn’t specifically designed to be mixed with it it is illegal and something as simple as adding washing up liquid to hypo can be carcinogenic , like all things hypo has its uses in the cleaning industry but it’s not suitable for  everything and needs to be used with caution and knowledge of what it will and won’t do and how to use it safely,this cannot be learned or covered in a couple of posts on a forum ,if you don’t know what you are doing then best to avoid using it , the basic questions like dilution rates show you don’t know what you are doing so tread carefully.

This my first post!!! really interested in the other post regarding WFP & gutter cleaning etc.

I recently retired after working offshore for quite a few year and gathered experience and

know-how on various cleaning methods and application of certain chemicals.

What I would like to find out is regarding the process of making of pure water system and

views on best tools for the job's I've previously mentioned ,I've watched plenty of U-tube  

and now have just sign-in to Window Cleaners Forum which I think is informative well you 

guy's are on the front line, I'm a new-be but will appreciate & welcome any info, many thanks

in advance. A/C 

P1040930.JPG

Latest Posts

Back