Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help emergency

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Johnny

Hi put 1 litre hypo with 4 litre water dollape of dish soap applied to pvc windows waited 20 then cleaned. Frames have started going yellow 

Someone please help.

Too strong a mix there, it should hopefully turn back to normal? Myself personally thinks using hypo is overkill for UPVC cleaning and you risk things like this happening! 

I always do first cleans with 2% hypo 

If the upvc goes orange/yellow it often goes back white before i have finished.. if not just wait an hour or 2 and it will be white again

It is scary for some people leaving it like that but it ALWAYS goes back white

Even if you used it neat it may take 24-48 hours but will go back white

I clean conservatories and fascias daily with it and always gleaming white after

2% would be the max i would use on upvc though as it often doesn't react or if it does just for a very short time

This was done 2% hypo and was green and black beforehand and only needed to be hosed down with pure after

You need to do some research or get some experience before messing with chems but once you know what you are doing most jobs are very easy

20170614_112101.jpg

20170614_112111.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion that's a bit too strong for pvc that works out roughly 3% hypo. All you need to clean pvc is either cif cream or a magic eraser. I really don't think you can undo what's been done with the hypo but@spruce might be able to help you out here.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
Sorry, I have no experience with hypo as I've never used it. We mainly use CIF these days.

I did look into it, but I worry about killing grass and plants in the area, despite advise that wetting these areas before and after is enough to negate this. But I also do need to make the job easier as the old bod isn't so good these days.

Dave, are you using a hypo mix for every UPVC job your taking on and having no permanent adverse affects with this method? This is something I've not done yet as I always thought it was overkill but with your post above this sure looks very interesting as the finish you got on that conny looks super! 

I apply with either pump up 2l sprayer for 1st cleans etc or for conny roofs/patios/render etc i use my sureflow wfp pump as i have a valve on mine to either draw from pure tank or from 25l drum of mixed chems

New bigger pump for softwash is coming soon

Then i use my wfp reel and hose with spray attatchment on the end

Then i flush it all through with pure after 

Dave, are you using a hypo mix for every UPVC job your taking on and having no permanent adverse affects with this method? This is something I've not done yet as I always thought it was overkill but with your post above this sure looks very interesting as the finish you got on that conny looks super! 
I have a 2% drum of mixed hypo in the van and fill a spray bottle from it for 1st cleans

Just a spray on the brush and work it in on tops or straight on the glass and frames etc on bottoms

3.08 on this vid is good

That conservaty looks amazing frames started to go back to white phew.

Thank you so much for replies.

The frames definitely came up nicer but wasn't 100 percent happy they were quiet grey to start.

What's the quickest and most effective way to restore window frames to white again. 

That conservaty looks amazing frames started to go back to white phew.

Thank you so much for replies.

The frames definitely came up nicer but wasn't 100 percent happy they were quiet grey to start.

What's the quickest and most effective way to restore window frames to white again. 
up a ladder with magic sponge dipped in your cleaning chem of choice

the pvc-u can go different colours ranging from orange/yellow to even blue and can give you a bit of a scare at first,most people would use a 1% mix with a good surfactant,not a dollop of fairy (theres a good reason for this)

the pvc-u has an ingredient called titanium dioxide which amongst other uses its a brilliant whitener,

so if the frames change colour a,next time use the correct ratio.

b,don't worry the titanium dioxide will sort it out and turn it back to its normal shade again.

the pvc-u can go different colours ranging from orange/yellow to even blue and can give you a bit of a scare at first,most people would use a 1% mix with a good surfactant,not a dollop of fairy (theres a good reason for this)

the pvc-u has an ingredient called titanium dioxide which amongst other uses its a brilliant whitener,

so if the frames change colour a,next time use the correct ratio.

b,don't worry the titanium dioxide will sort it out and turn it back to its normal shade again.
Proper surfactant is always preferable although washing up liquid will do at short notice but the chems don't work as well which is why people supply proper surfactant

Never seen one go blue yet @kevinc250

Suppose i will at some point

Titanium dioxide is also an e number in food 

But yes the key is not to go too strong with it.. 2% is the strongest i will use on upvc

Proper ppe also is a must.. not like the yanks with their spray n pray attitude

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all input everyone.  I've got some cleverwash on way. Used the fairy on short notice.

I'll bare that in mind but on mark's softwash UK app it recommend that ratio I applied some on my own frames and it was OK.  Do you think cheap pvc can get affected more than others.

Thanks for all input everyone.  I've got some cleverwash on way. Used the fairy on short notice.

I'll bare that in mind but on mark's softwash UK app it recommend that ratio I applied some on my own frames and it was OK.  Do you think cheap pvc can get affected more than others.
it won't be cheap upvc johnny as all the pvc now meets the ce mark-so its pretty much all the same really,

i'm glad that you have bought some clever wash,its pretty much good stuff in that it can be used on new cleans without the bleach element.

marks app is not all its cracked up to be as its a copy of an american one,that one was totally flawed to start with but it gets you near the mark when mixing using the correct materials,

at some point if anyone is intrested i can explain why the correct surfactant is so so important to any hypo mix

it won't be cheap upvc johnny as all the pvc now meets the ce mark-so its pretty much all the same really,

i'm glad that you have bought some clever wash,its pretty much good stuff in that it can be used on new cleans without the bleach element.

marks app is not all its cracked up to be as its a copy of an american one,that one was totally flawed to start with but it gets you near the mark when mixing using the correct materials,

at some point if anyone is intrested i can explain why the correct surfactant is so so important to any hypo mix
So what is the correct surficant and how does it make a difference to say washing up liquid ? 

Back