So due to living situations and other life troubles I had to put off starting window cleaning until now. So yesterday I went out and the first area I hit. Most had the same window cleaner for the past 20 years and others just didnt want there windows cleaned. If they did they were aware they could use the same cleaner as Thier neighbors. 

So I changed area completely. The people I was speaking to in this area either flat out just said not interested or they had a window cleaner and didn't want to change for any reason. I found that people seem loyal to their cleaner even if they can't even contact him. 

So I ended on zero and gathered information but I suppose the question I want to ask you guys is whether you find that it's the areas that don't already have a cleaner where you are successful?

I'm fairly new to it all but so far it depends. You can find the odd few dotted around in these areas but when told they have a Wc repeatedly or they do everyone's on the street your probably best to leaflet it & move on.

Usually there are still areas/clumps that don't have a cleaner - maybe newish area or existing guy has retired etc. Keep your chin up chances are there will be enough houses that want you it's just how close they are

So due to living situations and other life troubles I had to put off starting window cleaning until now. So yesterday I went out and the first area I hit. Most had the same window cleaner for the past 20 years and others just didnt want there windows cleaned. If they did they were aware they could use the same cleaner as Thier neighbors. 
So I changed area completely. The people I was speaking to in this area either flat out just said not interested or they had a window cleaner and didn't want to change for any reason. I found that people seem loyal to their cleaner even if they can't even contact him. 
So I ended on zero and gathered information but I suppose the question I want to ask you guys is whether you find that it's the areas that don't already have a cleaner where you are successful?

I'm probably the cleaner In the type of areas you've canvassed in, I've built up in these areas for 25 + years.

On a street of say of 60 houses I would do about 50, out of the remaining 10 there would be 5 who clean there own/don't have them cleaned.( Who I always exchange pleasantries with for the long game)

And the other 5 who are bad payers or a pita and generally best avoided.

So if I'm wearing your shoes I'd hit the new estates and (maybe a bit controversial on this forum) go in a little bit lower with the prices, build up and increase down the line.

Generally speaking, when people come into the areas I work, I'll see them over a few months and then they vanish, usually because it's not worth travelling to do the "odd" house and maybe they're compacting there own rounds.

Compact is key.

You don't earn money sat in a van.

It really depends on the way you want to build your round. Typically you'll come across the 20+ year window cleaner who has a high percentage of houses in the area,but charges less. 

Or you can become the window cleaner who charges more but travels a few mins per clean. 

What I realised is I'd rather be the guy who charges more and has a bit of traveling than the guy who charges £5 and has a compact run. Dealing with more people and having to clean 20 houses to make £100. 

Typically you want to pick up a house and then try canvious around that area and get another one/two meaning you will have a good hours work with 2-3 houses.

I'v found that getting customers from facebook and then just trying to pick up more work in that Street helps. 

Where I'm from you get glass only cleaners so me charging more but cleaning windows, frames,doors and sills is how I land alot of my quotes. Although Iv only went full time and my round is about 20% complete.

What Gazz says is true.  You can either be really cheap and have loads of compact stuff. Or be higher and more spread out.

But if your area is like mine already saturated with cheap work that's compact then you don't have much choice other than  to be more spread out.

Dont for get a lot of the cheap compact work is from rounds that were started in 30 years ago. Its hard if not impossible le to break into that market. Prices were low especially up north during the mining strikes and have stayed low since. Its just the way it is.