Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Moving to WFP wirth limited space...

Bart90

Hi Guys,

First post here & new to the forum.

I have a full trad window cleaning round and am wanting to switch some of the work over to WFP starting with upstairs windows.  I don't have much space (we live in a flat) and am worried about the set up of RO's etc.  What would be my best way of getting off the ground and being able to do some work with wfp?  Even if it's not the most economical I feel I just need to start and get the ball rolling.  

TDS is around the 200 mark here.

Any help would be much appreciated.

If I was you I would just use di vessels. Get at least an 11liter one. When that one starts hitting about 5ppm buy a second di vessel and run that one after the first. Then eventually change the resin in the first vessel when its having little effect on the water and put that after the second one and just keep repeating that. (Assuming you have an outdoor tap)

Last edited by a moderator:
If I was you I would just use di vessels. Get at least an 11liter one. When that one starts hitting about 5ppm buy a second di vessel and run that one after the first. Then eventually change the resin in the first vessel when its having little effect on the water and put that after the second one and just keep repeating that. (Assuming you have an outdoor tap)
Thanks Matt.  Yes I have an outdoor tap so that should be ok. 

In terms of an actual starter kit, would you recommend a back pack or trolley?  I'm not looking for mass scale yet but just want to shift maybe 10 - 20 jobs upstairs windows onto wfp intially then over a few months up it to 50 or 60.  I work out of an estate car and again space is bit limited with my trad kit.  I've seen backpack starter kits at WCW or should i just buy the bits separately as I'm guessing an 11litre DI won't come with a starter kit?

Hi , wot I would do is firstly get a small van, if poss a Peugeot partner and build your own system 300L tank once you start with the wfp you won't really trad that much again, and it will save you money if you get a mounted system first time as you will soon ditch the back pack and expand to a bigger system.

Thanks Matt.  Yes I have an outdoor tap so that should be ok. 

In terms of an actual starter kit, would you recommend a back pack or trolley?  I'm not looking for mass scale yet but just want to shift maybe 10 - 20 jobs upstairs windows onto wfp intially then over a few months up it to 50 or 60.  I work out of an estate car and again space is bit limited with my trad kit.  I've seen backpack starter kits at WCW or should i just buy the bits separately as I'm guessing an 11litre DI won't come with a starter kit?
Rather than a backpack get a trolly. Wont be fun carrying a full backpack around. You can make a trolly for really cheap plenty of videos on YouTube. Look on eBay there is a company called telescopic they do good cheap poles. Then just get the di vessel, look for a deal with one full of resin ready to go.

I got my get from the cleaning warehouse. Pole, backpack with trolley, di vessel & 4 containers were £400ish. I work from a hatchback with a lot of trad gear as well and I've still got space

Guys, thanks so much for the helpful info.

So if I've got this right, to purify my own water on such a small scale I'm probably best getting two DI's. Could someone explain the exact set up to me?  Hose on outside tap to first DI.....?  How long does it take becuase I'd have to do it at my parents house so would need to be there while it's filtering to turn off the tap lol!

So the other alternative is to buy it.  I had a quick look online but it was quick so I'll research a bit more later.  I live in the West mids area sohow much would I would expect to pay for buying pure water?  And what sort of places sell it?

How much water would I actually use doing the upstairs only of say 60 houses a month so the equivalent of 30 full houses p/m?

I remember using double d.I at first until I had about 100 customers a month.

With an input tds of 150 I was using about half a sack of resin a month.

30 full houses very roughly 600 litres, won't cost you much at all in resin 

I remember using double d.I at first until I had about 100 customers a month.

With an input tds of 150 I was using about half a sack of resin a month.

30 full houses very roughly 600 litres, won't cost you much at all in resin 
Thanks.

Could you recommend some DI's?  I've seen the hydro ones on WCW at about £300 for a 12l and £200 for a 6l.  Are these the best way to go for a double DI setup or could you recommend different ones?

Thanks.

Could you recommend some DI's?  I've seen the hydro ones on WCW at about £300 for a 12l and £200 for a 6l.  Are these the best way to go for a double DI setup or could you recommend different ones?

I would buy reputable ones from reputable wfp suppliers.

They are new so will be more expensive than refurbished ones with unknown history and refurbished quality. Daqua and Gardiners sell them although Daqua has a larger variety of sizes.

I haven't got a Unger Hydro unit but seem to remember one of the suppliers suggesting that they are rather expensive and don't do much more than any other standard di vessel does. The sales pitch is all about the convenience and quickness of changing a bag of resin for another. But that convenience comes at a price.

Yes, I hate the job of changing resin but buying a unit at £258.00 doesn't float my boat. Then they want £35 for a 6 liter bag of resin - that's £146.00 for 25 liters. We get a 25 liter bag of Tulsion MB115 resin from Daqua for £76.00.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently bought a second hand DI vessel and no issues - would recommend it.

This is what 'worries' me in his advert.

Riser tubes /pipe/colours may vary dependant on stock some down pipes may be the double filter sort or plain pipe they may be joined with couplers but will not come apart glue is stronger than the plastic pipe it's self  both work as well.

To me this indicates that the supplier will adapt riser tubes to the size of the vessel by gluing tubes together with joiners. So whilst it will still work it may not look aesthetically pleasing. My personal view is that when I buy something I don't expect to receive an item that has components 'botched' together mix and match to fit. But when you buy an item that's 'refurbished' then this is what you could expect.

you can pick up a new di for under £100, so its not worth buying used, and you know they'll work properly
I've had a look at Daqua as someone suggested above and they're new for around £65.

With my TDS at 200ppm, and a two DI setup, would two 11l DI's be better or should i get one 11l and then a 6l to polish off?

Could someone explain to me in simple terms what other parts i would need.  I need a tap obviously.  Then I'm guessing some hose (any hose?) to first DI then hose to second DI then hose to put the pure water into my containers.  Is it that simple?   Are there any other products I would need?  Am I missing anything?

I would then take my pure water out in the car and fill my DIY trolley/backpack and hey presto I'll be Wfp....?!

I've had a look at Daqua as someone suggested above and they're new for around £65.

With my TDS at 200ppm, and a two DI setup, would two 11l DI's be better or should i get one 11l and then a 6l to polish off?

Could someone explain to me in simple terms what other parts i would need.  I need a tap obviously.  Then I'm guessing some hose (any hose?) to first DI then hose to second DI then hose to put the pure water into my containers.  Is it that simple?   Are there any other products I would need?  Am I missing anything?

I would then take my pure water out in the car and fill my DIY trolley/backpack and hey presto I'll be Wfp....?!
its as simple as tap-garden hose-di-hose-di-hose container. 2 11l would be best, when you get a reading out the 2nd di then replace resin in the first and swap them round. The one I got was £102 pre filled with resin. I only run 1 as my tds is only 70 out the tap. I got pole, backpack ,di & containers for £450. I use a hatchback and still got loads of space for my trad gear.

This is what 'worries' me in his advert.

Riser tubes /pipe/colours may vary dependant on stock some down pipes may be the double filter sort or plain pipe they may be joined with couplers but will not come apart glue is stronger than the plastic pipe it's self  both work as well.

To me this indicates that the supplier will adapt riser tubes to the size of the vessel by gluing tubes together with joiners. So whilst it will still work it may not look aesthetically pleasing. My personal view is that when I buy something I don't expect to receive an item that has components 'botched' together mix and match to fit. But when you buy an item that's 'refurbished' then this is what you could expect.

Never really given it much thought.  Mine are fine, I just use them.

I would buy again 

Never really given it much thought.  Mine are fine, I just use them.

I would buy again 

Not all refurbished units are poor quality. The di vessel I'm using was a refurbished one many years ago from Ebay.

I would be more careful if I was buying another.

Back