Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How far do you travel to work?

Bart90

Just out of curiosity, how far do you travel to your nearest round?  And how many miles per week do you cover?  Currently live in the centre of my work, nearest work is in the same street, furthest work is 25 mins drive away but am thinking of moving (house prices are much cheaper in this other area!) so my nearest work will be 35 mins away & furthest 45 mins away.  Does anyone else travel this far?

Similar to you mate my work is very compact most of my work is within 7 minute drive with only a couple of big jobs up to 15 minutes drive away, My wife has been hinting on to move house a bit further afield to a cheaper area but not as far as you are suggesting, I personally wouldn't want to move that far out but thats me .

I'm not a window cleaner, I'm gutters, cons and p/wash and I live in the sticks so I can travel anything from 5 mins to an hour+. Average I would say is 45mins. Doing 250+ miles a week.

I have a severely high boredom threshold. I first started on a round of shops in Harrow, but quickly realised this wasn't for me working in the same place every day. Did my nut in. This was 20 years ago!

I then set out to canvas multi areas so I could be in a different area every day over a 10-15mile (Max) radius.

Works out good for me. Everyone is different.

it's all about enjoying it. (y) 

I'm different to most, my nearest residential  jobs are a mile away , my furthest is 12. I do however have monthly commercial jobs that are upto 40 miles away and have quarterly jobs 200+ miles away. I do about 12 k miles a year. 

I have a severely high boredom threshold. I first started on a round of shops in Harrow, but quickly realised this wasn't for me working in the same place every day. Did my nut in. This was 20 years ago!

I then set out to canvas multi areas so I could be in a different area every day over a 10-15mile (Max) radius.

Works out good for me. Everyone is different.

it's all about enjoying it. (y) 
Well said!

Have a round 20 miles away two days work, another round 15 miles away. Most everything els local but I do travel from South Wales every month up to East Grinstead as I have other commitments there and now have a days work there 200 miles away, I stay the night, it's a killer!

I do approx 6,500 miles per year only as my work is within a 12/13 mile radius of my house.
It's just worked out well like that as I have 2 young ones now and I can get back within 20 minutes if needed at any part of the day or round.

Furthest customer: 15 miles away.

Closest: next door!

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I only have a little work next to me, most work is an hour away, up to just under 2 hours away, i work in the countryside mostly n enjoy that, dislike the time to travel home at end of day, as waste of your life travelling. Cheaper travelling than moving for me.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I'm getting more and more into softwash etc and will travel further for that

Sometimes even as far as 7 miles  :1f602:

I only have a little work next to me, most work is an hour away, up to just under 2 hours away, i work in the countryside mostly n enjoy that, dislike the time to travel home at end of day, as waste of your life travelling. Cheaper travelling than moving for me.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
Bloody hell up to 4 hours travelling a day, some days im out my door, finished and home in 4 hours   :1f603:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping to have moved to the area, but there wasnt any suitable houses, stupid money for rent for poorly kept houses, so bought my council house, but maybe one day I will move closer. The work around my area, is nonsense money mostly, hopefully one day I will learn the wisest way of working.  

Back