Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Smart com vsr U/S

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Den

Installed a smart com vsr a couple of months ago and now not working, checked all connections and fuses. Got to admit when I purchased this unit it looked like a cheap bit of tat, now looking at buying durite vsr anyone use these.

Used Smartcom vsr's on 2 vans for around 6 years with no issues and recommend them.

The first scr I had on my van burnt out but that wasn't a Smartcom, it was another make, and tbh is was a 15amp relay.

I now have a Durite copy (M Power) with thicker 70 amp cables. There are a couple of different names of these units in different colours; M Power and Altec are two. They work the same as the Smartcom except they are bi directional which the Smartcom isn't. It means that if you put a charger on your leisure battery whilst its connected up in the van, the vsr will activate and charge your van battery at the same time. (Charging rates or amps between the old 15amp scr and the new M Power are no different. So if you think that you will charge the leisure battery faster with the all singing all dancing unit, my experience is that you won't.)

At first I didn't know if I liked the idea, so I added an on/off switch to the earth of the vsr. So if I just want to charge the leisure battery with my charger (I plug my charger in the charge my leisure battery) I can switch the vsr off.

I usually leave my intelligent battery charger on all night and was confused when I opened the van up in the morning and saw the charger was still charging. I soon realised that using the remote central locking to open the van was enough of a power drop in the van battery to kick the charger on to replenish that. Once I realised that I haven't bothered with the switch. But it does give me the option of removing the battery and running the van engine by deactivating the relay.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
i had one of them a long while ago,again i thought i was clever and bought cheap-yep it burnt me one day, and cost me lost earnings into three figures-all from going cheap,i learned my lesson and only ever use durite now and have done for a while-i know the stystem costs a bit initially but its money well spent and something else that won't go wrong for years,i bought a kit from amazon with the correct gauge cable for my van-its just a case of installing it all,one hour tops as all the hard work is done for you.

for my peace of mind its one less thing to go wrong as when things break or don't work its costs money in lost earnings-its as simple as that so in the long term its better to bite the bullit and buy something that will last

i had one of them a long while ago,again i thought i was clever and bought cheap-yep it burnt me one day, and cost me lost earnings into three figures-all from going cheap,i learned my lesson and only ever use durite now and have done for a while-i know the stystem costs a bit initially but its money well spent and something else that won't go wrong for years,i bought a kit from amazon with the correct gauge cable for my van-its just a case of installing it all,one hour tops as all the hard work is done for you.

for my peace of mind its one less thing to go wrong as when things break or don't work its costs money in lost earnings-its as simple as that so in the long term its better to bite the bullit and buy something that will last

Totally agree I just didn't really have a clue what I was looking for TBH now I have a little knowledge on the subject my next van won't be fitted with a cheap bit of tat that's for sure.

the kit cost me £89 so its no big thing really, early this year as i had a new stystem to install so wanted to do it properly,its done well so far no hiccups and it-well just works

us window cleaners have the urge to want to do things on the cheap and in many ways cheap doesn't always pay(considering the amounts of money that can be earned per day)a lot of windies still spend so little on there equipment its no wonder i still see guys doing domestic work with 27 or 35 foot poles

Totally agree I just didn't really have a clue what I was looking for TBH now I have a little knowledge on the subject my next van won't be fitted with a cheap bit of tat that's for sure.

the kit cost me £89 so its no big thing really, early this year as i had a new stystem to install so wanted to do it properly,its done well so far no hiccups and it-well just works

us window cleaners have the urge to want to do things on the cheap and in many ways cheap doesn't always pay(considering the amounts of money that can be earned per day)a lot of windies still spend so little on there equipment its no wonder i still see guys doing domestic work with 27 or 35 foot poles
Yes can't understand myself when I bought that kit the wire was like dental foss, luckily a sparky mate who wired it up had some better rated cable which only just fitted the tiny terminals on the split charge. 

Back