Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Rectus 21 fittings

jgrayson11

Hi all,

Just wanted a little advice as I recently changed to rectus 21 fittings.

Out the box they work unbelievably well, and so far seem very hard wearing despite being dragged along the floor throughout the days and weeks (I have foam balls either side but still, nice quality stuff!)

I've got o-rings on either connection; 1 for my 6mm hose, another for my 5mm pole hose, and I essentially have a male and female connection to fit together. This past couple days I've been experiencing leaks when using my uni-valve, and water is escaping through both rectus fittings where the hose is attached.

O-rings seem perfect and nothing's changed in recent days...

Any help?

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I have found they do that after a while

I use John Guest 8mm pushfit connectors with the appropriate narb on the hose with o rings

Never leak until they are knackered which is not very often and under £1 each if they ever need replacing 

The 5mm barb to 8mm hosetail and 6mm barb to 8mm hosetail and the 8mm to 8mm straight connector on this page

They can be found cheaper seperately on ebay (searcj jg pushfit) but not necessarily the same quality

I don't use the foam protector balls either as they are happy being dragged across the floor

http://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pump-hose/hose-fittings-adapters/john-guest-fittings/metric-fittings.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found they do that after a while
I use John Guest 8mm pushfit connectors with the appropriate narb on the hose with o rings
Never leak until they are knackered which is not very often and under £1 each if they ever need replacing 
The 5mm barb to 8mm hosetail and 6mm barb to 8mm hosetail and the 8mm to 8mm straight connector on this page
They can be found cheaper seperately on ebay (searcj jg pushfit) but not necessarily the same quality
I don't use the foam protector balls either as they are happy being dragged across the floor
http://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pump-hose/hose-fittings-adapters/john-guest-fittings/metric-fittings.html
Cheers, Dave - I'm a gardiner user and have honestly never looked into these John guest fittings before. I'll give them a try for definite. Semi-annoyed to see the low prices also, I've spent enough on the rectus fittings and although they are very good, I wasn't expecting leaking so soon.

Thanks again. I'll let you know how I get on as and when I've given them a go!

They can be bought off ebay for pennies in bulk from china if you have a few weeks spare to wait for delivery

They are so cheap that if they break just chuck and replace

I don't even use barbs if joining 8mm pole hose as it secures it without them

After taking advice from Dave B and Mark067 I swapped over to the JG fittings as I found that rectus keep disconnecting much prefer the JG setup now, the only thing and that's very minor is you don't have a end stop when you disconnect the pole, I'm tubeless so hardly disconnect pole unless working on bungelows then I use a clx4.

If you use the barbed JG hose tails, I've found it helpful to file down the flange to the same outer diameter as the hose if using PU pole hose.  It makes them a lot easier to disconnect.  This is easy to do if you have a small dremmel type tool with a sanding wheel, but you can use a regular file.

Why have I never thought of that?
emoji848.png
emoji848.png

It's the first thing I do once I've fitted them now.  I also find I don't need 'O' clips when fitting the barbed JG hose tails to PU hose either.

I've used the rectus fittings for a long time and haven't found a problem with them leaking on the hose tail. Mine are just clamped on with an o ring with inner sleeve. I do put them on very tight though.

I find that they do leak however from between the male and female fittings when they have a little wear. If they are never disconnected then they'll be fine but if you disconnect regularly then inevitably the loose ends get knocks and it doesn't take much damage for them to start leaking. If you're careful whenever it is unplugged then it'll be fine.

I love the JG fittings for ease but like the auto stop.

I switched back to rectus fittings a few months ago and still using the same fittings I am careful not bash the hose tail off the floor etc so its almost like new after a few months.

never seen them before. Good idea. I use protectaballs at moment
Never seen these either, although I'd imagine if they're plastic/silicone material they'd likely wear relatively quickly? Protectaballs last me a few months if I use two at a time. They get damaged quick but keep everything off the floor and they're (relatively) cheap. I'm gonna give these JG fittings a whirl and see if I can stop leaks over time!

Never seen these either, although I'd imagine if they're plastic/silicone material they'd likely wear relatively quickly? Protectaballs last me a few months if I use two at a time. They get damaged quick but keep everything off the floor and they're (relatively) cheap. I'm gonna give these JG fittings a whirl and see if I can stop leaks over time!

The protectaballs I have have lasted me about 6 years so far!

I used them for a short while, but they became redundant when I went tubeless.  

I found they worked quite well but did occasionally come apart when they caught on things.  However, the outer part that protects the fitting stayed put.  It was the inner part that would disappear off down the hose.  

I like the Rectus fittings but I prefer the simplicity and ease of use of the JG fittings now.  No messing around with 'O' clips to hold hoses on.  (This works for me as I only use PU pole hose). When a connector comes to the end of its life, just pull it off and push a new one on etc.

Latest Posts

Back